• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 3:53 pm
[OP]
Jan 9, 2016
52 posts
2 upvotes

Amazon Business Model

I am living on a small island
I am thinking of ordering on Amazon and then re-selling for a lower price than what is offered in the local grocery stores.
Profit would be the difference between my selling price and the cost of ordering goods from Amazon.
I am thinking of selling items like shampoos, tooth paste, ice cream cones - anything non-perishable.
Should I be looking for deals on Amazon to find the lowest price possible?
Will this work?
The fear is that anyone can replicate this model and why would they buy from me instead of ordering from Amazon
At the same time, the local grocery stores have no competition and sell goods at a high mark-up (even non-perishable goods), and I buy them too sometimes as Amazon takes so long to ship!
Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!
4 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
1434 posts
598 upvotes
deepthi2016 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 4:30 pm
I am living on a small island
I am thinking of ordering on Amazon and then re-selling for a lower price than what is offered in the local grocery stores.
Profit would be the difference between my selling price and the cost of ordering goods from Amazon.
I am thinking of selling items like shampoos, tooth paste, ice cream cones - anything non-perishable.
Should I be looking for deals on Amazon to find the lowest price possible?
Will this work?
The fear is that anyone can replicate this model and why would they buy from me instead of ordering from Amazon
At the same time, the local grocery stores have no competition and sell goods at a high mark-up (even non-perishable goods), and I buy them too sometimes as Amazon takes so long to ship!
Any thoughts or advice are greatly appreciated!
Can you order from AliExpress in larger quantities?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4200 posts
1757 upvotes
Vancouver
I think this is a relatively good model but costly. Shipping from amazon adds to the cost of goods (even though prime is free). Costco is much cheaper. Since Shampoo products and things of that sort have very long expiry dates, you could get a trailer and go into the city and load it up at Costco with on-sale items and make an even bigger killing. You could also buy anything else there too, like snacks, pop, vegetables.

This reminds me of a guy in Inuvik (really far up northwest territories). Up in Inuvik, vegetables and fruits and other items (fresh items) are REALLY expensive. So this smart guy got the idea to use a refrigerated semi truck and drive it down to Costco and other stores and load it up with fresh goods. He then brings it back, sets up shop in a parking lot, and people come to him and do a grocery shopping trip. He's got the full setup... even has a cash register and accepts credit cards and debit. His selection is way fresher than the local markets. This would be a sustainable model for anyone in a small town with high costs to follow.

Here's a video of the guy.....

May 18, 2015
929 posts
196 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
adamtheman wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 7:58 am
I think this is a relatively good model but costly. Shipping from amazon adds to the cost of goods (even though prime is free). Costco is much cheaper. Since Shampoo products and things of that sort have very long expiry dates, you could get a trailer and go into the city and load it up at Costco with on-sale items and make an even bigger killing. You could also buy anything else there too, like snacks, pop, vegetables.

This reminds me of a guy in Inuvik (really far up northwest territories). Up in Inuvik, vegetables and fruits and other items (fresh items) are REALLY expensive. So this smart guy got the idea to use a refrigerated semi truck and drive it down to Costco and other stores and load it up with fresh goods. He then brings it back, sets up shop in a parking lot, and people come to him and do a grocery shopping trip. He's got the full setup... even has a cash register and accepts credit cards and debit. His selection is way fresher than the local markets. This would be a sustainable model for anyone in a small town with high costs to follow.

Here's a video of the guy.....

I wonder if you can get Amazon Prime wayyy up north
Mar 28, 2012
289 posts
69 upvotes
My Kijiji sofa
Few potential issues using Amazon - Amazon pricing fluctuates unpredictably on grocery and beauty products. At qty you would be ordering, will they continue to honor the free shipping for you or eventually drop you for "abuse"? Does Amazon limit to normal consumer quantities? or have a weight limit per shipment? Is it free shipping everywhere even 'remote' postal codes ? What will you so with all of those boxes (Amazon sucks for matching box size to order size and ships from multiple warehouses resulting in many many 3/4 empty boxes... may be better if you are ordering case quantities?)
I am open! Let's get on with the hacking - I assume it vibrates?
Ref: Dazz
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel