• Oct 8th, 2019 4:10 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3501 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
peepthetoad wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 6:22 am
May I ask what Garmin model you are using?
Garmin DriveAssist™ 51 LMT-S
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/552032#overview
What led me to this model was the ability to connect wireless back up camera from the truck and a wireless rear view cam from the camper.
If you are getting different credit scores from different sources please post them here:
Comparing the consumer accessible credit scores
Jan 1, 2013
392 posts
226 upvotes
POINTE-CLAIRE
You can pay $10 more and receive "Frustration-Free Packaging"...damn, that must be some kinda Houdini-child proof-tamper resistant-lockbox technology going on the original to warrant such a charge
[OP]
Jan 27, 2013
767 posts
688 upvotes
peepthetoad wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 9:59 am
How do you like it so far? I'm considering it but it got some bad reviews on costco
I have the same one and it's great. Dash cam is good, assists work properly
Jan 30, 2006
420 posts
96 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…
thesubmitter wrote:
Oct 7th, 2019 3:50 pm
What benefit do u get VS Waze or google maps with a dedicated gps?
could be useful in countries where Waze and google map doesn't work .
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3501 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
peepthetoad wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 9:59 am
How do you like it so far? I'm considering it but it got some bad reviews on costco
I've only had it a couple of months and didn't drive much. That said:
I like the real language directions including which lane to be in. The dash cam seems OK - I have not downloaded any yet.
Forward collision warning seems a little sensitive, might be my settings / adjustment. It has a pretty extensive manual - hoping to get into it over the long weekend.
I have not tried the back up camera yet - I need to make a custom bracket to fit the camera into my tailgate handle.
It has rebooted a couple of times using voice command. It might be me - if not, I'll experience their support and warranty.

As a basic GPS it is a major improvement over my earlier Garmin. The entrance to a private campground was off a bit (15m), although still on the property. There is a learning curve to all the other features.
NB there is a similar model called the DriveSmart 51, which I have confused in the past. I'll have to look up the reviews on Costco. Thanks.

On edit: Could not find Costco reviews for the DriveAssist 51, there were some for the DriveSmart 51
If you are getting different credit scores from different sources please post them here:
Comparing the consumer accessible credit scores
Sep 15, 2018
74 posts
38 upvotes
Ottawa
ROYinTO wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 1:28 pm
I've only had it a couple of months and didn't drive much. That said:
I like the real language directions including which lane to be in. The dash cam seems OK - I have not downloaded any yet.
Forward collision warning seems a little sensitive, might be my settings / adjustment. It has a pretty extensive manual - hoping to get into it over the long weekend.
I have not tried the back up camera yet - I need to make a custom bracket to fit the camera into my tailgate handle.
It has rebooted a couple of times using voice command. It might be me - if not, I'll experience their support and warranty.

As a basic GPS it is a major improvement over my earlier Garmin. The entrance to a private campground was off a bit (15m), although still on the property. There is a learning curve to all the other features.
NB there is a similar model called the DriveSmart 51, which I have confused in the past. I'll have to look up the reviews on Costco. Thanks.

On edit: Could not find Costco reviews for the DriveAssist 51, there were some for the DriveSmart 51
This is what I found on costco.
https://www.costco.ca/Garmin-DriveAssis ... 12829.html

I am primarily looking for a dash cam and with navigation so I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket everytime I want directions. Just the 2 features, but seems like not a lot of companies make one with those 2 features together.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24560 posts
10026 upvotes
sonyHdr12 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2019 3:03 pm
Use a $2000 phone for GPS, that’s a waste.
I bought a $200 Chinese tablet. It's great.
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 7th, 2019 3:59 pm
No data use.
I get this while travelling or something, but for me I'd rather use data and get stuff like live traffic, slowdowns, construction, break downs, etc.
Too many times I've wondered what Google was smoking until I ended up sitting in traffic for 20 minutes because of random construction I didn't know about.
comesource wrote:
Oct 8th, 2019 12:16 pm
could be useful in countries where Waze and google map doesn't work .
Now I'm curious as to how much additional maps would cost in a place where Google/Waze isn't that great.
Most GPSes dont' have worldwide maps. Additional maps aren't free.