• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2019 2:10 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2014
365 posts
303 upvotes
Westmount, QC

23andMe 50% OFF

Good deal if you wanted the $249 plan (From what I recall, it's often at $199). I personally think it's useless. The Ancestry alone for $103 is good enough.

Product description
Before Mailing, register your kit at 23andme.com/start otherwise, your sample will NOT be processed.

ANCESTRY FEATURES
Ancestry reports
- 35+ reports including: Ancestry Composition, Ancestry Detail Reports, Maternal & Paternal Haplogroups, Neanderthal Ancestry, Your DNA Family
- DNA Relative Finder: Find and connect with relatives in the 23andMe database who share DNA with you. (opt-in)

HEALTH FEATURES
Health Predisposition* reports
- 10+ reports including: Type 2 Diabetes (Powered by 23andMe Research), Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease, Celiac Disease
Carrier Status reports*
- 40+ reports including: Cystic Fibrosis, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hereditary Hearing Loss
Wellness reports
- 5+ reports including: Deep Sleep, Lactose Intolerance, Genetic Weight
Traits reports
- 30+ traits including: Hair (Color, Curliness, Male Bald Spot), Taste & Smell (Sweet vs. Salty, Bitter), Facial Features (Cheek Dimples, Unibrow, Freckles)

OTHER FEATURES
Raw Data
- Access your raw, uninterpreted genetic data file.** Must not be used for medical or diagnostic purposes.
Share, compare and discover more with friends and family
- Trace DNA through your close family and explore the genetic similarities and differences between you and family members..
Last edited by Spaceballs on Nov 15th, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Share:
24 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13662 posts
1849 upvotes
Mississauga
This was a good idea few years back, but not now with the exposure to consumer data leaks and no boundaries on their ability to mine it for their own gain. PASS.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1348 posts
2609 upvotes
and so it begins
Aug 9, 2016
19 posts
3 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 10:39 am
This was a good idea few years back, but not now with the exposure to consumer data leaks and no boundaries on their ability to mine it for their own gain. PASS.
That is your own opinion. And I bet you have never signed up for any free service that sold your date EVER.

50% is a great deal for this.
Feb 1, 2012
401 posts
101 upvotes
Montreal
Ganjab0y, I mean weedb0y has a point. I have the same thought process too.
Nevertheless, it's a good deal.

weedb0y wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 10:39 am
Dec 25, 2013
43 posts
32 upvotes
Coquitlam
Which is a better service ? Ancestry or 23andme?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3662 posts
4414 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/dna- ... -1.4980976

"Why so different? There are a variety of factors that can affect the accuracy of results from an ancestry company, Gravel says, but of particular importance is the size and quality of its reference panel."

Not a good deal unless you suspect one of your relatives is a serial killer. Then it's totally worth it.
May 5, 2006
615 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Tinfoil hats everyone!
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2000 posts
1137 upvotes
Is there any way to use the service but not give them your real name?

This Wikipedia entry is really scary and got me paranoid (most of the people caught didn't use a DNA service; their relatives did): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... h_GEDmatch
Sep 7, 2009
582 posts
192 upvotes
Chowagon wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 10:59 am
Which is a better service ? Ancestry or 23andme?
And which one is better for Asian ancestry?
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13662 posts
1849 upvotes
Mississauga
velodyne wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 10:46 am
That is your own opinion. And I bet you have never signed up for any free service that sold your date EVER.

50% is a great deal for this.
If anything, I am more cautious of it now than it was during the earlier days of 'gmail' and unlimited inbox sizes etc.
Mar 22, 2013
873 posts
1304 upvotes
Toronto
You guys should see Gattaca.
Dec 10, 2005
408 posts
109 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 11:53 am
If anything, I am more cautious of it now than it was during the earlier days of 'gmail' and unlimited inbox sizes etc.
And let me guess you have never used a cell phone with a fingerprint reader - or perhaps you will never use one that does face unlock, which is face recognition.

Honestly when ever I see people cry wolf about this sort of stuff, I find it laughable.
Sep 14, 2009
999 posts
472 upvotes
Halifax
I thought these guys were flagged as not being very accurate, that tests from twins ended up with totally different results?

Did I dream that?

EDIT, someone posted the link to the CBC article already.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)