Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

[300$ on Amazon] Asus VivoBook 14 Thin and Light 14" HD, AMD Dual Core R3-3200U, 4GB DDR4, 128GB SSD, AMD Radeon Vega 3

Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
kiasu wrote: Damn another 2 weeks

Should i keep or return
Sell for cost if it doesn't suit you
Oct 10, 2014
472 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I finally got my SATA connection kit in the mail (felt like forever!). :)
Install was simple (had to use YT to figure out the connector to the m/b), and bam, was able to leverage a 500GB SATA SSD (from a laptop that recently died) to give some decent storage to this thing.

Still haven't upgraded the RAM (it's a light duty machine), and continue to be impressed! I'm sure next time there's a killer RAM deal I'll bite.

Thanks again to OP!!
Oct 10, 2014
472 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RAM Question:

Before upgrading the RAM, it was 4GB with 3.75 Usable (according to Windows 10 Control Panel -> System).

I upgraded to 8GB of RAM, but it only shows as 5.95 usable... I was expecting it to show 7.75.

Perhaps part of it is reserved for GPU, but why did it change from 250MB to 2GB?
Also, I didn't see anything in the BIOS to adjust the amount of RAM dedicated to the GPU.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/tips?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Macali wrote: RAM Question:

Before upgrading the RAM, it was 4GB with 3.75 Usable (according to Windows 10 Control Panel -> System).

I upgraded to 8GB of RAM, but it only shows as 5.95 usable... I was expecting it to show 7.75.

Perhaps part of it is reserved for GPU, but why did it change from 250MB to 2GB?
Also, I didn't see anything in the BIOS to adjust the amount of RAM dedicated to the GPU.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/tips?
The APU shared is set to auto deep deep in the BIOS. Which takes 2GB once dual channel is activated(so basically when a second stick is added).

As of right now it can't be set to a different value thru the BIOS screens.

The AMD CBS binary is actually part of the BIOS but there's no way to access it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2015
1759 posts
1873 upvotes
Toronto
Macali wrote: I finally got my SATA connection kit in the mail (felt like forever!). :)
Install was simple (had to use YT to figure out the connector to the m/b), and bam, was able to leverage a 500GB SATA SSD (from a laptop that recently died) to give some decent storage to this thing.

Still haven't upgraded the RAM (it's a light duty machine), and continue to be impressed! I'm sure next time there's a killer RAM deal I'll bite.

Thanks again to OP!!
can you post a link to that YouTube vid you mentioned? Just in case the rest of us need it lol

I've never installed that kind of part to a laptop so I'd like the vid as a reference
Oct 10, 2014
472 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tebore wrote: The APU shared is set to auto deep deep in the BIOS. Which takes 2GB once dual channel is activated(so basically when a second stick is added).

As of right now it can't be set to a different value thru the BIOS screens.

The AMD CBS binary is actually part of the BIOS but there's no way to access it.
Thank you for this info!! Super helpful to understand why it's happening!

Wish I had known that earlier, might have swayed be to spend a bit more (was looking for a "minimal" upgrade, and figured $20 to get it to 8GB total would be sufficient... now I'm stuck with 6GB lol).

I wonder if Canada Computers will take an open item to exchange for a larger stick...
Oct 10, 2014
472 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
meepsheep wrote: can you post a link to that YouTube vid you mentioned? Just in case the rest of us need it lol

I've never installed that kind of part to a laptop so I'd like the vid as a reference
my bad for not posting it earlier...
this vid is pretty long, and I only needed to figure out how to use the connector on the m/b... which was at the 4:00 mark (I didn't realize there's a plastic piece that pops up and closes down on the ribbon).

Oct 10, 2014
472 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Macali wrote:
I wonder if Canada Computers will take an open item to exchange for a larger stick...
CC took my exchange without issue even though it was already opened! No 15% restocking fee, and they actually just processed it as a return. Ended up buying an 8GB stick instead, and now the system shows 12GB, with 9.95GB usable! :D

Hopefully that means it was the last time opening this thing up... those clips are annoying!!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2012
5036 posts
1717 upvotes
Charlottetown
1st time i has to use USB port on mine......... and it's bent, bottom of it is almost U shaped, don't know how i'm going to fix that, with plastic bottom can't really use needle nose pliers......
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
I almost to report my $5 HDD kit from Aliexpress came and it works just fine.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18704 posts
5739 upvotes
tebore wrote: I almost to report my $5 HDD kit from Aliexpress came and it works just fine.
mind post the link pls?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
kiasu wrote: mind post the link pls?
v v v v
tebore wrote: This maybe a compatible cable
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000160683049.html

If you're gonna wait you might as well pay as little as possible.

I am chancing it for $6