Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] $422.70 Reolink 8CH 5MP PoE Home Security Camera System, 4 x Wired 5MP Outdoor PoE IP Cameras, 5MP 8 Channel NVR 2TB HDD

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2020 6:02 pm
[OP]
Mar 1, 2014
415 posts
257 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] $422.70 Reolink 8CH 5MP PoE Home Security Camera System, 4 x Wired 5MP Outdoor PoE IP Cameras, 5MP 8 Channel NVR 2TB HDD

$517.16 with $100 coupon and $5.54 shipping, no tax, shipped directly by Reolink. The price is higher if fulfilled by Amazon with free shipping.

The system was mentioned in an expired deal earlier this month. At the time it was $559.99 with $80 coupon fulfilled by Amazon, so now it's about $57 cheaper.

Compared to the expired deal, it's only about $30 more but it comes with a newer camera model, domes instead of bullets.
57 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12913 posts
1728 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! Placed an order. Came out to $430. Wasnt charged tax or anything. I used the faster delivery option. Anyone have any good ideas om how to conceal wires on the outside of the house? I dont want to drill holes and open up walls to run cables. I'm thinking pvc conduit, but that will look ugly in a residential brick exterior.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
1898 posts
906 upvotes
GTA
trixstar wrote: Thanks! Placed an order. Came out to $430. Wasnt charged tax or anything. I used the faster delivery option. Anyone have any good ideas om how to conceal wires on the outside of the house? I dont want to drill holes and open up walls to run cables. I'm thinking pvc conduit, but that will look ugly in a residential brick exterior.
Run in attic/eavesdrops to spots ya need
Sep 12, 2019
42 posts
72 upvotes
trixstar wrote: Thanks! Placed an order. Came out to $430. Wasnt charged tax or anything. I used the faster delivery option. Anyone have any good ideas om how to conceal wires on the outside of the house? I dont want to drill holes and open up walls to run cables. I'm thinking pvc conduit, but that will look ugly in a residential brick exterior.
I used to install cameras for a living. The best way is to run the cables to the attic and then to the spots you'd need the cameras. If the attic is not an option, you'd have to make a hole to get out of the house. We mostly did it around the electrical panel, because there usually already is a hole and place the NVR near by. Use a conduit, or find a way to conceal the wires to the best of your situation to run the cables to the soffit. From there use the eaves to run each cable to the camera locations.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12913 posts
1728 upvotes
Toronto
M1sho2000 wrote: I used to install cameras for a living. The best way is to run the cables to the attic and then to the spots you'd need the cameras. If the attic is not an option, you'd have to make a hole to get out of the house. We mostly did it around the electrical panel, because there usually already is a hole and place the NVR near by. Use a conduit, or find a way to conceal the wires to the best of your situation to run the cables to the soffit. From there use the eaves to run each cable to the camera locations.
The attic is an option but it has no electrical.. if I run the camera wires to the attic, the box needs to be in the attic I would assume?

Or mount the cameras, run the cables to the attic, bundle up the cables together in the attic and run them all back out of the attic in a conduit to the a hole in the wall somewhere. Hopefully the wires are long enough.
Sep 12, 2019
42 posts
72 upvotes
trixstar wrote: The attic is an option but it has no electrical.. if I run the camera wires to the attic, the box needs to be in the attic I would assume?

Or mount the cameras, run the cables to the attic, bundle up the cables together in the attic and run them all back out of the attic in a conduit to the a hole in the wall somewhere. Hopefully the wires are long enough.
The attic for the box is not a good idea even if you have electricity there. It'll get too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. The NVR should be close to your internet router for the ethernet connection. Like you said gather all your cables in the attic and find a way to run them to the NVR. I believe they are 50 feet each, so unless you live in a mansion, they'll be long enough Grinning Face
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12913 posts
1728 upvotes
Toronto
M1sho2000 wrote: The attic for the box is not a good idea even if you have electricity there. It'll get too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. The NVR should be close to your internet router for the ethernet connection. Like you said gather all your cables in the attic and find a way to run them to the NVR. I believe they are 50 feet each, so unless you live in a mansion, they'll be long enough Grinning Face
I wish it was a mansion. It's just a small 1600 sq ft. home downtown.
Jul 10, 2019
21 posts
349 upvotes
Camera temperature rating is mentioned as -10 to 55 C. Can it withstand Canadian winters?

Lorex and Swann sold by Costco has rating of -30.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2973 posts
1315 upvotes
sarb3414 wrote: Camera temperature rating is mentioned as -10 to 55 C. Can it withstand Canadian winters?

I recall reading somewhere that because they are always on, the give off some heat and should be ok in colder temperatures. It's the motion activated wireless cameras that are more likely to experience temperature related issues.

Double check this to confirm because I may be wrong, but I think this is accurate.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4567 posts
1015 upvotes
sarb3414 wrote: Camera temperature rating is mentioned as -10 to 55 C. Can it withstand Canadian winters?

These are much higher quality than the system sold at Costco, much better price point as well
SizzleChest wrote: I recall reading somewhere that because they are always on, the give off some heat and should be ok in colder temperatures. It's the motion activated wireless cameras that are more likely to experience temperature related issues.

Double check this to confirm because I may be wrong, but I think this is accurate.
I had one installed outdoor since fall, never any issues, even when -25 or lower
Sep 30, 2009
946 posts
471 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How are these compared to Hikvision 8mp cameras? I had 3cameras + 2TB NVR... and even after negotiating with aliexpress seller, the price is still in the $800s because of the crap CAD dollar right now. Can I assume these are in between Costco Lorex and Hikvision quality?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
4567 posts
1015 upvotes
patrickkc wrote: How are these compared to Hikvision 8mp cameras? I had 3cameras + 2TB NVR... and even after negotiating with aliexpress seller, the price is still in the $800s because of the crap CAD dollar right now. Can I assume these are in between Costco Lorex and Hikvision quality?
Haven't use Hikvision myself due to inflated price, but many say they are better than Reolink.

Here's a video showing some comparisons:

Nov 6, 2014
98 posts
53 upvotes
North York, ON
I am seeing $559.99 instead of $517.16 before the $100 coupon. Deal over?
Apr 23, 2016
260 posts
265 upvotes
Kelowna
I paid 480 for this 3 weeks ago. Argh. Good system for the price. Quality is good and setup was easy. App is pretty user friendly. It does not work with Google home which I was slightly disappointed with however.
Apr 23, 2016
260 posts
265 upvotes
Kelowna
trixstar wrote: The attic is an option but it has no electrical.. if I run the camera wires to the attic, the box needs to be in the attic I would assume?

Yeah, don't put the NVR in the attic. Run the lines through the attic and fish them down a wall to wherever your router is.