• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2019 7:21 am
[OP]
Apr 8, 2011
99 posts
37 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon Canada] AeroGarden Bounty Elite Wi-Fi

Aerogarden discounting prices again. The prices on these things seem to get slashed every few months so don't pay full price if you're thinking of one.

The Bounty without wifi also on sale, though not as steep a discount. $209.95 which amounts to 34% off.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1078 posts
286 upvotes
Do you have to buy seeds from them to use with aerogarden? Or is there a way to buy your own seeds?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5923 posts
1002 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
wra45mon wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 9:06 am
Do you have to buy seeds from them to use with aerogarden? Or is there a way to buy your own seeds?
I buy the starter sponges and my own seeds. I have also managed to buy the fertilizer from Amazon.ca, although I had a long wait for availability.

I can’t imagine though the benefit of WiFi for this product. It’s not as if one could add water or fertilizer remotely.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1078 posts
286 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:02 am
I buy the starter sponges and my own seeds. I have also managed to buy the fertilizer from Amazon.ca, although I had a long wait for availability.

I can’t imagine though the benefit of WiFi for this product. It’s not as if one could add water or fertilizer remotely.
Can you use any fertilizer? Does it have to be liquid fertilizer?
Jan 31, 2018
283 posts
445 upvotes
Winnipeg
Not sure who is downvoting this, the non-Wifi version is at historical lows according to CCC, and the Wifi version is close. WiFi certainly not required, so I would go the cheaper one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B010NBJZLK

It's not a product for everyone, but I really like my 7-pod version. Got cherry tomatoes growing in it now.
wra45mon wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:28 am
Does it have to be liquid fertilizer?
Yes, it has to be liquid fertilizer. You get a small amount with each seed pod kit, but you often need more to keep it running or for your own seeds. Here is the bulk option that will last you literally 3 years: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004M5NGJG
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
5923 posts
1002 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
OneAndTrueHeir wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:31 am
Not sure who is downvoting this, the non-Wifi version is at historical lows according to CCC, and the Wifi version is close. WiFi certainly not required, so I would go the cheaper one.

It's not a product for everyone, but I really like my 7-pod version. Got cherry tomatoes growing in it now.

Yes, it has to be liquid fertilizer. You get a small amount with each seed pod kit, but you often need more to keep it running or for your own seeds. Here is the bulk option that will last you literally 3 years: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004M5NGJG
All of my heritage cherry tomato pods died within a few days. I now have mine loaded with Thai basil and and herb called epazote. The latter is a Mexican herb. I brought some packaged seeds back a couple of years ago.

BTW, I remember reading somewhere that AeroGarden recommends using mineral-free bottled water.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Jan 31, 2018
283 posts
445 upvotes
Winnipeg
MexiCanuck wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:39 am
BTW, I remember reading somewhere that AeroGarden recommends using mineral-free bottled water.
RO or distilled water can help if you have hard water, well water or a water softener. But if you have good soft water right from your tap, tap water is fine. Winnipeg water is generally really good, so that is all I use.
All of my heritage cherry tomato pods died within a few days.
Huh, mine are going nuts. Started flowering in just over 30 days. Despite the consistency of hydroponics, I still think environment (temp, humidity, and probably water) plays a big part.
Jun 20, 2009
556 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
wra45mon wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 9:06 am
I bought the smaller version few days ago.Your text to link here...
It comes with the seed pods but from what I have read in reviews, you can add your own seeds later on.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
1520 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
is this really worth 300 dollars. bucket of water, grow light........... and wifi? just so that you can grow some herbs?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1078 posts
286 upvotes
OneAndTrueHeir wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 10:31 am
Not sure who is downvoting this, the non-Wifi version is at historical lows according to CCC, and the Wifi version is close. WiFi certainly not required, so I would go the cheaper one: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B010NBJZLK

Do you have to use the aerogarden branded liquid fertilizer? Other liquid fertilizer seems cheaper.
Jan 31, 2018
283 posts
445 upvotes
Winnipeg
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 11:33 am
is this really worth 300 dollars. bucket of water, grow light........... and wifi? just so that you can grow some herbs?
The 'bucket' is pumped and plumbed to run water through each pod, aerate, low water warning, etc. The grow light sits in the base without any mounting brackets or additional wiring. Lose the completely non-essential Wifi, and it is considerably cheaper. I'm sure a bespoke handpicked hydroponic setup would be better for less money, but if you are willing to go to that effort, you are not the target market.
wra45mon wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 11:40 am
Do you have to use the aerogarden branded liquid fertilizer? Other liquid fertilizer seems cheaper.
I'm sure other brands would work with experimentation, but that really isn't what the Aerogarden is for. It is intended as a low-effort, low-maintenance product, and for this it works pretty well. You are welcome to try, but at just over $10 a year for the official stuff, it would be a total waste of my time.
Sep 13, 2015
652 posts
556 upvotes
Alberta
I've been looking to purchase an indoor garden for my wife for some time now. I came across this deal last night and was going to post it, but wasn't sure of the historical pricing to justify the "hot deal". I thought I would get the bounty elite with wifi, but it seems the wifi isn't worth it from what I ready, but I like high tech.

Is the only difference with the Elite model the stainless tub compared to plastic? Are there any differences with options/software/screen on the regular Bounty? It seems the original Bounty at $209 may be the best deal?
Feb 8, 2017
73 posts
11 upvotes
wra45mon wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 11:40 am
I use some cheap powder fertiliser to grow basil. It was about 10$ for many lifetimes worth. Just dissolve it in water first by shaking it up in a bottle. I clean the reservoir and take the pump apart to clean it between cycles. It's a basil making machine.
Feb 8, 2017
73 posts
11 upvotes
sonyminidiscman wrote:
Feb 19th, 2019 11:33 am
I think the one at 200$ is just worth it. Depends on how much you value fresh herbs I guess.

It's a light with an extending stand, a bucket of water with a pump and then the whole timer/reminder part. Sure, you could buy a bucket, light, pump and timers cheaper but it wouldn't be nearly as nice and easy to use.