Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 2:09 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1353 posts
284 upvotes
porksoda wrote: No idea what dyor means, but cafestol and its relationship to ldl is not definitive and studies have had mixed results.
Do your own research is my guess
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1693 posts
1946 upvotes
vancouver
Any suggestions for $3 filler for free shipping?
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2007
1353 posts
284 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote: Any suggestions for $3 filler for free shipping?
I normally search kitchen gadgets...peelers, brushes, etc. Or pens.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
sooksook wrote:

I'd fall asleep doing that method. I do it from the filter side btw not the plunger side. Who wants to spend that kind of time and effort making a cup of coffee?
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Apr 9, 2012
473 posts
399 upvotes
After a couple of years of daily use, I gave up on my Aeropress. It started to create some sort of rough scale on the interior near the filter that ran up 2-3 inches, but neither soaking for days in vinegar or CLR, using a scrub pad, & nothing besides scraping with a knife would take it off & so I gradually lost the seal, which created more problems. To replace the Aeropress body part was not worth the cost or hassle to me & to buy an entire new unit was also not worth the cost to me. The coffee was nice but not so nice to want to replace the unit every 2-3 years. Our water is on the hard side, but from water testing, it is not extreme.

Also, over that time & much experimenting, I settled on the reverse method BUT had a dozen or accidents of either knocking it over, or the plunger going in crooked at the start & knocking things over & so making a mess, not to mention spilling hot coffee on me. Sure it was likely my fault, but I'm not that clumsy & it just happened too often & soured my experience.

My other pet peeve with the system is that filter holder has side vents that allow for coffee squirt out if one presses slightly faster than a snail's pace & or the cup is not the perfect size. Again, I McGyver'd a sleeve to put over this, but just one more hassle & it took a while to find the right size of sleeve. Silly design anyway IMO as it doesn't need to have the side holes or for one to find the perfect size cup to prevent squirts & spills.

So I'm back to a nice inexpensive Japanese plastic cone filter holder (Amazon sale) with a wider bottom drip hole than say a Melitta & inexpensive round filters that I fold to fit & with some experimenting I've been able to make coffee very similar to the Aeropress IMO & at a fraction of the cost & so far, no counter spills, no spills of hot coffee on me, no knock overs of a really high reversed Aeropress tower, no scale build up, etc.. Just a much nicer experience too. Clean up is even easier than the Aeropress.

My .02 cents.

So Bye Bye Aeropress, you are just too expensive for 2 plastic tubes & a rubber stopper that wear out too quickly & has other weird design quirks too. But the coffee is nice enough.
Jun 17, 2003
803 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
hagbard wrote: And most hassle to use and clean and wears out faster.
Ummm... Pop the puck into the trash, quick rinse, let it drip dry. Aeropress cleans up soooo easy.
SickBeast wrote: Just keep in mind that the paper filter takes out all the cholesterol from the coffee whereas the metal filter doesn't.
Cholesterol! I had no idea I was supposed to worry about that with coffee.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Aeropress is so easy to use and clean. Takes literally under 30 seconds to clean it.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7236 posts
3052 upvotes
GTA
Coffee does not have cholestrol, it has has cafestol that can sometimes cause our bodies to produce more cholestrol.

Most studies that have been done on mice it increases it about 2% or so.

It would depend on person to person and their genes and all sorts of factor.
Dec 19, 2012
159 posts
398 upvotes
CALGARY
How did a good deal on an aeropress become a discussion of serum cholesterol levels? Face With Tears Of Joy

If you look at a 2012 meta analysis on the effects of coffee consumption on serum cholesterol, the average rise in total cholesterol is 0.2mmol/L (less in people with normal cholesterol and more in those with higher cholesterol). For giggles, if you calculate the cardiovascular risk over 10 years for an otherwise healthy 40yo male (it's about 2.1%), that translates into a 0.2% increase in the risk of heart attack and stroke over a 10 year period. Probably more risk associated with being drowsy behind the wheel and dying in the resulting car crash from not having your morning coffee than from drinking filtered or unfiltered beans.
Apr 9, 2012
473 posts
399 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Aeropress is so easy to use and clean. Takes literally under 30 seconds to clean it.
Yup cleaned after EVERY single use, rinsed & usually even used a sponge to remove oils. Still it developed some sort of weird scale inside the bottom tube, despite cleaning after every single GD use & after 2 years, it was use .... less. Has potential, but needs a redesign IMO & so is overpriced for just some plastic bits that don't last. Should sell for $10-15 Max, more like $10. Not worth the $30+ to me. I wanted to like it, but it just has too many flaws in practical use.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mtnviewer wrote: Yup cleaned after EVERY single use, rinsed & usually even used a sponge to remove oils. Still it developed some sort of weird scale inside the bottom tube, despite cleaning after every single GD use & after 2 years, it was use .... less. Has potential, but needs a redesign IMO & so is overpriced for just some plastic bits that don't last. Should sell for $10-15 Max, more like $10. Not worth the $30+ to me. I wanted to like it, but it just has too many flaws in practical use.
No doubt it's grossly overpriced for an oversized plunger lol. I'll have to watch out for that scaling. I do like the size for taking it on trips though.
Jul 2, 2008
459 posts
215 upvotes
robespierre1794 wrote: translates into a 0.2% increase in the risk of heart attack and stroke over a 10 year period.
Probably more risk associated with being drowsy behind the wheel and dying in the resulting car crash from not having your morning coffee
The annual risk of dying in a car accident in Canada is close to 0.005% per year. This is 10 times less significant than a 0.2% risk over a 10 year period.
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
Is that annual risk of car accident mortality done with a blind study of caffeinated vs non-caffeinated individuals (and paper vs metal filters)? ;)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
PenguinRei wrote: I paired it up with a metal disc filter and it tastes more similar to french press. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Silly me! I was thinking it should taste less similar and way better than French Press...

No need to trow $40 +filters etc on complicated plastic gadget that "tastes similar to French press"

Thanks, wallet very safe! My Espresso maker rules! And French Press is like $10...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
EP32k2 wrote: Aeropress is so easy to use and clean. Takes literally under 30 seconds to clean it.
I don't just rinse it, I clean it. The using is much more difficult than cleaning, you left that part out.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Jul 22, 2017
257 posts
181 upvotes
Pingu in the city
max011 wrote: Silly me! I was thinking it should taste less similar and way better than French Press...

No need to trow $40 +filters etc on complicated plastic gadget that "tastes similar to French press"

Thanks, wallet very safe! My Espresso maker rules! And French Press is like $10...
The major difference is the brewing time and clean up.
For french press it's at least 3:30, or if you use the James Hoffmann's method, it's close to 10 min to get the best french press coffee taste.
Aeropress can reduce the overtime to 1:30 and so, and with the metal filter it's between the taste of paper-filtered aeropress with the fuller oily part of french press.
But if you enjoyed your french press, I would say that's fine as well. :) Just stay on that.

Personally I love both Aeropress and frenchpress (My first coffee maker). If I want something that is more delicate taste and time is not concerned, then I would use Hario V60 over aeropress.
Mtnviewer wrote: To replace the Aeropress body part was not worth the cost or hassle to me & to buy an entire new unit was also not worth the cost to me.
Just email Aerobie. I had problem with my seal as well and their customer service provided me a new seal free of charge.
SickBeast wrote: Just keep in mind that the paper filter takes out all the cholesterol from the coffee whereas the metal filter doesn't.
I read that paper and the experiment result was based on drinking 5 cups of coffee per day, so I think it's better to avoid that amount instead.
Any other brewing method such as Moka pot or metal-filtered french press, or normal shots of espresso have the cholesterol you mentioned too. If you prefer to be on the safer side, pour-over or clever dripper with paper filter would be better.

No idea that some hated this maker that much. I found it quite handy when I'm using it in the morning. It creates really consistent coffee every time and the cleaning up is simple. Also tons of different brewing method for this device.

Here is a video of how one of the Japanese coffee shop brewed their Aeropress coffee if anyone interested.
Last edited by PenguinRei on Dec 11th, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noot Noot!❗😄
Great coffee, better mind!
Aeropress | Hario V60 | French press | Vietnamese coffee filter | Kalita narrow-mouthed pot | %
Sep 19, 2012
626 posts
353 upvotes
Kitchener
I usually brew with a Chemex but picked this up last time it was on sale. Makes very good coffee.

Difference between this and a Chemex is that the Aeropress leaves the body (feels more flavorful, feels heavier), and creaminess of coffee. Hard to explain but it feels more like coffee than a Chemex does. With Chemex, because of the really thick paper filter, it feels more watered down, and cleaner.
Jun 17, 2003
803 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Mtnviewer wrote: Yup cleaned after EVERY single use, rinsed & usually even used a sponge to remove oils. Still it developed some sort of weird scale inside the bottom tube, despite cleaning after every single GD use & after 2 years, it was use .... less.
That's too bad. But for anyone else reading this thread, Mtnviewer's experience is not the norm if you look at reviews. My water is pretty hard/calcium-heavy and I've been using my aeropress daily for about 8 years. The measure-markings are fading, but otherwise it's good as new.

And for those of you cleaning (instead of rinsing) every day, remember that we clean dishes (with soap) mostly to remove flavours and germs. In the case of an Aeropress, i) you're putting coffee in it every time (no need to remove flavours the way you would with your frying pan) and ii) you're pouring near-boiling water in it every time (essentially sterilizing it by using it).
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
3970 posts
3750 upvotes
GVRD
porksoda wrote: get a lever machine or semi automatic for your "home lab". You will taste less than 50% on whats there with aeropress.
I think it's come to personal preference as I am actually aiming at consistency at home. For example I only do reverse Aeropress and I recommend for anyone who wants a stronger cup of coffee with little effort. I am still using my single boiler Saeco Sirena for espresso, this guy is cheap to buy parts and service, just the amount of work cleaning every bits out takes 30 min each day that I use it. Maybe if I get a bigger kitchen, I might get a lever... but I could use that money on getting another single boiler for steam only.. I have lots of ideas.

The other equipment I recommend would be the Espro french press, it often comes down to under $70 at Winners/Home Sense.

For cleaning that thing, I use filtered water and is looking at an undersink reverse omosis kit. I just soak in vinegar, baking soda once a year to clean up the smell.. and the plunger cleans the inside pretty well.