• Apr 12th, 2018 6:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3693 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon Canada] All 8 Harry Potter Films on 4k - $150 or $170 with blurays

This is actually a very good deal on this set. And, frankly, it ticks me off - I think I have the first few movies in pre-widescreen DVD and then upgraded all to blu-rays and now this! Kidding, of course. I will probably wait a few years for this to drop even further but for right now, $21/movie for 4k (and bluray + digital versions) is a good deal indeed.

Updating this given that I found the UK, region-free version that does not contain the blu-rays: Harry Potter - Complete 8-Film Collection [4K UHD] [Blu-ray] [2017] [Region Free] UK IMPORT REGION FREE for $149.99

Last edited by CaptSmethwick on Apr 7th, 2018 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
15 replies
Dec 15, 2016
118 posts
128 upvotes
I bought on Amazon UK, before Xmas 17 and still paid less (around $140 with exchange/shipping/duties, etc.). The only difference was no regular blu-ray. The price is still slightly cheaper on the Amazon UK site. If you don't need regular blu-ray capability, this may be a better deal.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3693 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa
LewisLongshanks wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 8:14 am
I bought on Amazon UK, before Xmas 17 and still paid less (around $140 with exchange/shipping/duties, etc.). The only difference was no regular blu-ray. The price is still slightly cheaper on the Amazon UK site. If you don't need regular blu-ray capability, this may be a better deal.
My sole concern with that is the CBSA can occasionally look at the country of origin and decide that duties must be paid. Unless I know the country of origin and that duties don't apply, I need more than a few dollars of savings to import anything where the value could attract the CBSA's attention - in this case, it might not be much beyond HST.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14966 posts
2051 upvotes
Toronto
Even though the some of the movies are considered "fake 4k", the addition of HDR/DV can make a big difference in contrast, black levels, and some details.

Many movies are mastered with a 2k DI but still look better than the 1080p counterpart.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3693 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa
audit13 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 9:39 am
Even though the some of the movies are considered "fake 4k", the addition of HDR/DV can make a big difference in contrast, black levels, and some details.

Many movies are mastered with a 2k DI but still look better than the 1080p counterpart.
There aren't many reviews out on this set but those that I've read feel that the HDR & DTSX rendering of these films is nothing short of amazing.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/commun ... ay.352044/
https://www.cepro.com/article/ce_pro_ha ... home_exper
Nov 30, 2006
666 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
It's been $145 all in including shipping from Amazon UK since it was released.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14966 posts
2051 upvotes
Toronto
Does the UK version include the BluRay versions too? There are a lot of different versions on the UK site.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3693 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa
audit13 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 11:45 am
Does the UK version include the BluRay versions too? There are a lot of different versions on the UK site.
The Amazon.co.uk version is the UHD discs only. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harry-Potter-C ... rry+potter

Given that many people are upgrading from their bluray collection, this isn't a deal killer but it's good to know that $145 CDN can get you the UHD versions. This set is $25 more than that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
3693 posts
920 upvotes
Ottawa
mdewolfe wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 11:50 am
Came to mention this website, as I know this collection is not all 'true 4k'.
Yes, but it's not the same as upscaling your bluray discs to a 4k TV as these have been rendered for playback on 4k sets with better contrast, colour, and sound.
Dec 15, 2016
118 posts
128 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 11:45 am
No blu-ray version
May 13, 2012
308 posts
142 upvotes
Edmonton
329 posts
179 upvotes
We can discuss the quality of this set for a long time, someone it suits, and for someone doesn't , but the fact remains that if you really enjoy Harry Potter and would like to buy these films, then as of today this price is the best in comparison with with all other sources offered in the internet, e.g., ebay.ca, walmart.ca or blue-rey.com. Thank you, OP.