Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
[OP]
Oct 13, 2016
306 posts
454 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

Not sure if the new Kindle Paperwhite ever went on sale, here's one
Last edited by TomRFD on Feb 12th, 2019 10:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated retailer to Amazon Canada
242 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8494 posts
887 upvotes
I still think the kobo is a better deal. You can load overdrive and use your public library card to borrow/download books for free.
Unfortunately you can’t do that with kindle, unless you’re in the US
Jun 4, 2011
118 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
r1lee wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:36 pm
I still think the kobo is a better deal. You can load overdrive and use your public library card to borrow/download books for free.
Eh sure, but the paperwhite with its new full flat front and waterproofing is quite nice compared to the kobos I have seen for comparable prices. Kobo is also a little sketchy with their design issues, the new forma has banding issues on the screen, the aura one had touch screen issues...
Nov 10, 2011
183 posts
109 upvotes
St. Catharines
Once you buy an ereader, you need to find something to read on it. In my experience, many more ebooks are FREE for Kindle than for Kobo.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some days I think that I am the only person who knows how to use Google.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14018 posts
4187 upvotes
Montreal
Havox07 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:46 pm
Kobo is also a little sketchy with their design issues, the new forma has banding issues on the screen, the aura one had touch screen issues...
The new model designs after Kobo got sold to Rakuten (appeared ~2016) are kinda scary and I'm a big Kobo fan. I was going to buy a Aura One, but didn't like it or the loss of an SD card slot, and the Forma looks like some kind of a joke.

Since the Kobo Aura H2O version 2.0, it's all been about streamlining functionality and going cheap on features (like no SD cards, dodgy screens, etc.). It's a classic example of a money-hungry foreign corporation buying up a popular brand and then going cheap on design and components, thus driving the once-proud brand into the ground.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14018 posts
4187 upvotes
Montreal
Havox07 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:46 pm
Eh sure, but the paperwhite with its new full flat front and waterproofing is quite nice compared to the kobos I have seen for comparable prices.
I really wish Amazon would start producing bigger screens at the Paperwhite level, like Kobo does with the Aura. No way am I spending $330 on a high-rez 7" Oasis with what idiotic big hunk of plastic on the side.

What I would love is an old school Aura H2O version 1.0 edition of the Auro One with the H20 1.0 screen + its SD card slot, but in a larger Aura One form factor. I would buy 2 of them and put one away to last the rest of my lifetime.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17373 posts
23998 upvotes
ONTARIO
If you don't own a e-reader, Kindle is fantastic. Been rocking a 2nd gen Paperwhite for years and before that I had a Kindle Keyboard. The KK still works just fine too. These things last so long.

I download all my books and then email them directly to my Kindle through Calibre. Don't care about borrowing books and sitting on waiting lists for months at a time.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10458 posts
1194 upvotes
Vancouver
Damn I’ve been waiting for the Kobo hdclara to go on sale. Been so long now. I like that I can borrow books from the library. But I’m becoming a bit impatient.

Guess I could get a kindle.
Feb 22, 2011
171 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
Is it worth getting the 32gb version?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2016 posts
650 upvotes
Edmonton
rwczen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:58 am
Is it worth getting the 32gb version?
Depends how many book you want to store......thousands?
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Feb 22, 2011
171 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
walleye*guy wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:03 am
Depends how many book you want to store......thousands?
Not sure, thinking of giving it as a gift and reading reviews that it stores audiobooks as well. I’m not sure how much space the average user would need
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17373 posts
23998 upvotes
ONTARIO
rwczen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:10 am
Not sure, thinking of giving it as a gift and reading reviews that it stores audiobooks as well. I’m not sure how much space the average user would need
Personally, I don't think so.

I have the 2nd gen paperwhite which has only 2GB of storage and even with hundreds of books on my Kindle, I still have 800MB free and not once have I even thought about running low on space. Plus all your books and documents are also stored in your amazon cloud drive too, which I think is like 5GB (free).
Yeah the newer version supports audiobooks, but still. You would need to store literally THOUSANDS of ebooks on the Kindle or a ton of audiobooks to fill up 32GB of storage.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3188 posts
2895 upvotes
Toronto
r1lee wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:36 pm
who has a public library card anymore...