Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3188 posts
2895 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 7:17 pm
Who builds refineries, submarines, chemical plants etc. then? Nobody is exposed to such things in the childhood. Your view is very narrow,
oh lord, some of you take things too literally. You just compared a kid liking to play basketball becoming a basket player to a chemical plant.....
Last edited by Nexzen on Feb 10th, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 17, 2012
255 posts
145 upvotes
COQUITLAM
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:46 pm
Thanks. Did you need to contact them once registered?
What do you mean?

I logged in using my Amazon account, yes.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10465 posts
1195 upvotes
Vancouver
VillageIdiot wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:48 pm
What do you mean?

I logged in using my Amazon account, yes.
Aww okay. I ask because when I chatted with amazon it seemed I needed to contact them to disable the ads.

Sounds like it was automatic.

Thanks
Mar 12, 2018
5 posts
Can anyone here comment in the Comfortlight Pro feature on the Kobo. Since I have that blue light (night mode) on my iPhone and Mac, wondering if this makes a big difference for e-readers. I have ordered the Kindle but am conflicted since it doesn't have a blue light filter mode and the Kobo Clara HD does. Noticed the Kobo doesnt go on sale but the $30 difference right now might be worth it for the Comfortlight Pro feature for me since I read before bed.

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1848 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
r1lee wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:36 pm
I still think the kobo is a better deal. You can load overdrive and use your public library card to borrow/download books for free.
Unfortunately you can’t do that with kindle, unless you’re in the US
I have both and like them both. The Kindle feels better, hardware wise. The library issue is a positive for Kobo and it is well integrated. In time libraries in Canada will support the Kindle. It really is the only well supported e-reader left. Kobo is hanging on but it’s only a matter of time before they drop out given the competition from phones, tablets and the Kindle.

As far as the library goes you have 20 days to read a book, most popular books have waiting lists (holds), etc... I don’t regret buying the Kobo ( which I got a month ago) but I can’t see it getting much use. The library issue is its main positive, unless ePub matters to you. And using the library is not bad, but it has quite a number of restrictions. If 20 days is not an issue then the Kobo is quite neat. But it’s still hard to recommend Kobo given, in my opinion, its uncertain future.

$110 is a really good price for the new Kindle. I far prefer it to my 2nd or 3rd generation PaperWhite ( which is already very good). The new one is waterproof, though not saltwater proof.
Jun 9, 2009
690 posts
110 upvotes
Hamilton
VillageIdiot wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:45 pm
Have Paperwhite. Confirm no ads.
Awesome!

Is there a way to make our default store the US Amazon store? I prefer it over the Canadian store.
Dec 27, 2017
13 posts
7 upvotes
Rajcat wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:32 pm
Many, many, people. And if you happen to live in Toronto, it's one of the best library systems anywhere. Online resources. E-books. Films. Access to gigantic amount of research materials. Access to Lynda.com classes. Museum passes. Lectures. And did I mention free to the public? Which is the best "RedFlag" deal imaginable.
For sure.

Here is Saskatoon, if my kids want a book or books, and I cannot download them (won't say how) then I can reserve them online and my library has a drive thru and grab it that way. Usually the next day.

Plus my library has Xbox One and PS4 games.

In addition, you can read all the newspapers for free on your device using Press Display.

Lastly, when I pick my daughter up from high school the library is next door. I can pull in and take my time while she does.

And yeah, we also have Lynda.com for free. Awesome for someone like me who is a fed, and the feds haven't had money for decent training in 20 years.

I play D&D (don't judge) and our library system gets all the new guides and adventures as soon as they are published. They also have large D&D kits for groups of people wanting to try D&D. That alone can be a $400 touch.

All new new DVD releases are available, too.

For lower income people, having a library card would certainly enhance their lives. With all the perks.
Aug 17, 2012
255 posts
145 upvotes
COQUITLAM
peji911 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:56 am
Awesome!

Is there a way to make our default store the US Amazon store? I prefer it over the Canadian store.
Not sure, sorry.
Nov 9, 2017
53 posts
41 upvotes
HeartofDarius13 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 8:10 am
For lower income people, having a library card would certainly enhance their lives. With all the perks.
Libraries truly are amazing for people with lower incomes. Really an essential service.
Also, on a separate note, jealous that your library has Xbox and PS4 games :)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17377 posts
24014 upvotes
ONTARIO
peji911 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 6:56 am
Awesome!

Go to manage your device and content
Look for preferences
Find the country/region setting
Add a US address and click update

Your Kindle (along with any other amazon devices you own) will now be set to the US and you will need to use Amazon.com to purchase books for your Kindle.
Jun 9, 2009
690 posts
110 upvotes
Hamilton
BobSagget wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 10:05 am
Go to manage your device and content
Look for preferences
Find the country/region setting
Add a US address and click update

Your Kindle (along with any other amazon devices you own) will now be set to the US and you will need to use Amazon.com to purchase books for your Kindle.
Thanks for that. I have a few FireTVs and the one I bought in the US can't be changed this way, but the sticks, which I bought in Canada, can. Weird!
Sep 16, 2013
779 posts
428 upvotes
SW ON
pmcd wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:51 am
The new one is waterproof, though not saltwater proof.
Why do you think so? Is it written somewhere? If it's waterproof, does it matter what kind of water it is if it doesn't get inside anyway? I suppose it can be rinsed with fresh water after exposure to the saltwater. It's not designed for diving anyway, only for accidental drops.
Dec 9, 2014
181 posts
84 upvotes
GTA
I have the comfort light on all the time. It's much easier on the eyes. I find the regular light too harsh.
Dec 9, 2014
181 posts
84 upvotes
GTA
pmcd wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:51 am
I have both and like them both. The Kindle feels better, hardware wise. The library issue is a positive for Kobo and it is well integrated. In time libraries in Canada will support the Kindle. It really is the only well supported e-reader left. Kobo is hanging on but it’s only a matter of time before they drop out given the competition from phones, tablets and the Kindle.

As far as the library goes you have 20 days to read a book, most popular books have waiting lists (holds), etc... I don’t regret buying the Kobo ( which I got a month ago) but I can’t see it getting much use. The library issue is its main positive, unless ePub matters to you. And using the library is not bad, but it has quite a number of restrictions. If 20 days is not an issue then the Kobo is quite neat. But it’s still hard to recommend Kobo given, in my opinion, its uncertain future.

$110 is a really good price for the new Kindle. I far prefer it to my 2nd or 3rd generation PaperWhite ( which is already very good). The new one is waterproof, though not saltwater proof.
I've heard these rumours for years now. It still hasn't happened so I wouldn't hold my breath. BTW if anyone wants good info on e-readers, head over to mobilereads.com. There's a forum as well where you can ask questions.