Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17148 posts
23665 upvotes
ONTARIO
alpovs wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:02 am
Why do you think so? Is it written somewhere? If it's waterproof, does it matter what kind of water it is if it doesn't get inside anyway? I suppose it can be rinsed with fresh water after exposure to the saltwater. It's not designed for diving anyway, only for accidental drops.
Click here to read about it's waterproof capabilities:
https://www.amazon.com/b?node=18116670011
Oct 9, 2011
854 posts
358 upvotes
GTA
Aero wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 6:03 pm
Any recommendation for a thin folio cover that covers the top as well. The official ones and some of the cheaper covers have an opening on top of the device, which I'm guessing might make it easier to insert and remove the kindle. It's hard to look at the picture some don't show it or some are pics from the old model.
I have one from this make - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07JZ3 ... UTF8&psc=1

The Kindle fits inside the bottom case and the only opening is at the bottom for the USB charge port and power button.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Sep 16, 2013
752 posts
415 upvotes
SW ON
pmcd wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:51 am
I have both and like them both. The Kindle feels better, hardware wise. The library issue is a positive for Kobo and it is well integrated. In time libraries in Canada will support the Kindle.
Based on the reviews I read people have been saying this for the past 5-7 years. It will probably never happen.
pmcd wrote:
It really is the only well supported e-reader left.
How is Kobo not well supported? Even based on what you said it is better supported than Kindle - libraries, and one can buy ebooks from Overdrive I believe, support for many free book sources and standard ebook formats, Pocket etc. On the other hand Kindle seems to be locked-in to Amazon and is fully dependent on Amazon. I believe nobody sells ebooks in formats the Kindle natively supports and the ebooks have to be converted if not bought form Amazon.
pmcd wrote:
Kobo is hanging on but it’s only a matter of time before they drop out given the competition from phones, tablets and the Kindle.
And people have been saying this for years as well. And the competition from phone and tablets has been there since before ebook readers appeared. In my view they are very different products and don't compete. I have many phones and tablets and want to buy an ebook reader.
pmcd wrote:
As far as the library goes you have 20 days to read a book, most popular books have waiting lists (holds), etc... I don’t regret buying the Kobo ( which I got a month ago) but I can’t see it getting much use. The library issue is its main positive, unless ePub matters to you. And using the library is not bad, but it has quite a number of restrictions. If 20 days is not an issue then the Kobo is quite neat. But it’s still hard to recommend Kobo given, in my opinion, its uncertain future.
Speaking of this and the Kindle... The consensus is the books from Overdrive can be converted to MOBI format for reading on Kindle. In the process DRM has to be removed, which removes the 20 day expiration of the book...

What do you think of the adjustable backlight color on Kobo? This is the biggest selling point for me. Based on what I read other ebook readers including the extinct ones got this feature many years ago. It seems to me the Kindle is technologically behind.
Last edited by alpovs on Feb 11th, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sep 16, 2013
752 posts
415 upvotes
SW ON
peji911 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:31 pm
A LOT of people make purchases based on country. Made in China or not, if you’re supporting Canadian businesses, why not.
LOL! Rakuten who makes Kobo is Japanese. Amazon who makes Kindle is American. Both devices are made in China. Teach me who I should support.
peji911 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:31 pm
You say that Kobos have been discounted many times. Interesting because I’ve never seen it. I’m a teacher and get special discounts at Indigo, and it’s never applied to Kobos so not exactly sure where you’re finding this.
In desktop browser type "Kobo" in the search box at the top on the right-hand side. Then in search results select "Expired Offers". I can see 36 expired deals on Kobo. I believe the search results are limited to a year in the past.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3830 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
dave0142 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 11:51 pm
Can anyone here comment in the Comfortlight Pro feature on the Kobo. Since I have that blue light (night mode) on my iPhone and Mac, wondering if this makes a big difference for e-readers. I have ordered the Kindle but am conflicted since it doesn't have a blue light filter mode and the Kobo Clara HD does.
I don't think you can quite compare the ComfortLight feature to the night mode on a phone or computer.

Phones and computers have emissive screens (light is emitted from them). The Kobo has an e-Ink reflective screen (black text on a white-ish background) that does not normally emit light, so you need ambient light to read it, just like a paper book.

Starting around 2014 or so Kobo started releasing readers with built-in backlights -- they still have the e-Ink screen but with the capability of being illuminated "from within". (Technically I don't think they're actually backlit, but the effect is the same). This allowed for reading the Kobo in dim light or total darkness.

For a long time, the backlight was blue in colour, which can be a little hard on the eyes, and is probably disruptive to the sleep cycle if used before bed. In recent years they've introduced this ComfortLight feature which is basically an orange-yellow backlight that automatically adjusts its brightness.

I have an Aura HD (blue backlight) and my wife has the Clara HD (ComfortLight). The illumination of her Kobo is definitely easier on the eyes than the one on mine. But it's really only an issue if you're reading in the dark or near-dark.
Sep 16, 2013
752 posts
415 upvotes
SW ON
Nexzen wrote:
Feb 10th, 2019 10:48 pm
oh lord, some of you take things too literally. You just compared a kid liking to play basketball becoming a basket player to a chemical plant.....
No, I didn't. Something is wrong with your reading comprehension. Good reason not to have a library card.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3830 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
pmcd wrote:
I have both and like them both. The Kindle feels better, hardware wise. The library issue is a positive for Kobo and it is well integrated. In time libraries in Canada will support the Kindle. It really is the only well supported e-reader left. Kobo is hanging on but it’s only a matter of time before they drop out given the competition from phones, tablets and the Kindle. .... But it’s still hard to recommend Kobo given, in my opinion, its uncertain future.
I'm not quite sure about Kobo's "uncertain future". They're still releasing new models that get great reviews. Their market share is very respectable, especially outside the USA. Anecdotally, I see far more people out-and-about (public transit, etc.) using Kobo than Kindle.

I can't see Canadian libraries moving to support Kindle unless Kindle's Canadian market share increases substantially enough to justify the added expense of licensing additional formats from the publishers. The existing conflict over exclusivity deals on e-Audiobooks with Audible (also owned by Amazon) doesn't help either.

The thing that (used to) bug me about Kobo is that their hardware quality control was shoddy. From my perspective, it's improved dramatically in recent years.

I have heard good things about Kindle hardware, but the strong tie-in to the Amazon system, lack of public library support and lack of Pocket support are deal-killers for me personally.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3830 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto
As an aside, the attacks on the library system ("who has a library card anymore these days") gave me a good chuckle. It's reminiscent of the attacks on the library from a particular former Toronto city councillor (now in higher office) circa 2011.
Oct 13, 2016
184 posts
164 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
HeartofDarius13 wrote: For sure.

Here is Saskatoon, if my kids want a book or books, and I cannot download them (won't say how) then I can reserve them online and my library has a drive thru and grab it that way. Usually the next day.

Plus my library has Xbox One and PS4 games.

In addition, you can read all the newspapers for free on your device using Press Display.

Lastly, when I pick my daughter up from high school the library is next door. I can pull in and take my time while she does.

And yeah, we also have Lynda.com for free. Awesome for someone like me who is a fed, and the feds haven't had money for decent training in 20 years.

I play D&D (don't judge) and our library system gets all the new guides and adventures as soon as they are published. They also have large D&D kits for groups of people wanting to try D&D. That alone can be a $400 touch.

All new new DVD releases are available, too.

For lower income people, having a library card would certainly enhance their lives. With all the perks.
For any income
Nov 2, 2016
113 posts
186 upvotes
Nexzen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 2:24 am
who has a public library card anymore...
what a stupid thing to say, the library has a ton of resources besides books. .
Oct 13, 2016
184 posts
164 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Lots of talk about skimming DRM off ebook formats and using them on the Kindle. I’m pretty sure Kindle TOS outlines you can’t be storing copyrighted content on your Kindle that is DRM ripped from another source. I’ve never heard of people getting a Kindle bricked or wipes but if your using the Amazon services to forward content to your Kindle or storing copyright material on it you should check the TOS.
Oct 13, 2016
184 posts
164 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
newyorkislanders wrote: what a stupid thing to say, the library has a ton of resources besides books. .
Library is great resource for anyone, especially families. Many folks get introduced to it in primary school but never get very engaged with it. I’m amazed how much content is publicly available but we still default to Amazon for books these days.
Jun 9, 2009
683 posts
101 upvotes
Hamilton
alpovs wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:46 am
LOL! Rakuten who makes Kobo is Japanese. Amazon who makes Kindle is American. Both devices are made in China. Teach me who I should support.

In desktop browser type "Kobo" in the search box at the top on the right-hand side. Then in search results select "Expired Offers". I can see 36 expired deals on Kobo. I believe the search results are limited to a year in the past.
Kobo is actually Canadian, with headquarters in Toronto. It was founded in 2009, in Canada, and bought by Rakuten, a Japanese company, in 2016. It is now called Rakuten Kobo, and is still headquartered in Toronto, which, since you clearly lack an understanding of basic geography, is a city in Ontario, Canada.

Followed your instructions on expired deals, and they are all based on 2 deals, with comments based off said deals. Paperwhite, which completes with Clara, is on sale, according to CCC, at least once every 2 months. No other Kindle has been discounted in the last year. Further, these so-called 'deals' on Kobos are actually based off percentage sales on Indigo, a Canadian company, and very rarely are said percentages applied to electronics.

Finally, let me reiterate that, not only was Kobo founded and operates out of Toronto, so too does Indigo. In other words, the Kobo you claimed wasn't Canadian was EXCLUSIVELY Canadian until a couple years ago. As such, many Canadians have supported Kobo for 2 main reasons: 1. Proudly Canadian 2. Hard to get Paperwhites in Canada a few years back.

Shall we continue the discussion?
Last edited by peji911 on Feb 11th, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3183 posts
2866 upvotes
Toronto
alpovs wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:52 am
No, I didn't. Something is wrong with your reading comprehension. Good reason not to have a library card.
If you say so :)