Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3040 posts
2386 upvotes
Toronto
newyorkislanders wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:05 pm
what a stupid thing to say, the library has a ton of resources besides books. .
Ya i'm learning the library is the spot to be, it's popping.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3040 posts
2386 upvotes
Toronto
Who needs a Kindle, get a library card.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3726 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto
peji911 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:28 pm
Kobo is actually Canadian, with headquarters in Toronto. It was founded in 2009, in Canada, and bought Rakuten, a Japanese company, in 2016. It is now called Rakuten Kobo, and is still headquartered in Toronto ...
I think you have it backwards. It's Rakuten who bought Kobo, not the other way around. The purchase was completed in 2012. The Kobo team is still based in Toronto (in the Liberty Village area AFAIK, near the CNE) but the ownership is in Japan.

Rakuten is an enormous company (with activities in many areas) and I highly doubt Kobo would have been able to ever be in a position to buy it.
Jan 15, 2016
93 posts
46 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Nexzen wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:34 pm
Who needs a Kindle, get a library card.
Never really appreciated it till i got it. Moreso having a kid who loves to read. Kindles are great especially if you travel and can’t take physically borrowed books with you on trips for risk of it being requested while your are out and cant renew them.
Jun 9, 2009
625 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
JHW wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:36 pm
I think you have it backwards. It's Rakuten who bought Kobo, not the other way around. The purchase was completed in 2012. The Kobo team is still based in Toronto (in the Liberty Village area AFAIK, near the CNE) but the ownership is in Japan.

Rakuten is an enormous company (with activities in many areas) and I highly doubt Kobo would have been able to ever be in a position to buy it.
It was supposed to say 'bought by'. Rakuten does a lot more than electronics and even sponsor FC Barcelona, so obviously they're are the top dog, and Kobo the little guy, but the subsidiary that is Kobo, is still very much Canadian.
Sep 16, 2013
594 posts
278 upvotes
SW ON
peji911 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:28 pm
Kobo is actually Canadian, with headquarters in Toronto. It was founded in 2009, in Canada, and bought Rakuten, a Japanese company, in 2016. It is now called Rakuten Kobo, and is still headquartered in Toronto, which, since you clearly lack an understanding of basic geography, is a city in Ontario, Canada.

Followed your instructions on expired deals, and they are all based on 2 deals, with comments based off said deals. Paperwhite, which completes with Clara, is on sale, according to CCC, at least once every 2 months. No other Kindle has been discounted in the last year. Further, these so-called 'deals' on Kobos are actually based off percentage sales on Indigo, a Canadian company, and very rarely are said percentages applied to electronics.

Finally, let me reiterate that, not only was Kobo founded and operates out of Toronto, so too does Indigo. In other words, the Kobo you claimed wasn't Canadian was EXCLUSIVELY Canadian until a couple years ago. As such, many Canadians have supported Kobo for 2 main reasons: 1. Proudly Canadian 2. Hard to get Paperwhites in Canada a few years back.

Shall we continue the discussion?
Say what? Kobo bought Rakuten? Let me google this for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakuten
"Rakuten, Inc. (楽天株式会社 Rakuten Kabushiki-gaisha) (Japanese pronunciation: [ɾakɯten]) is a Japanese electronic commerce and Internet company based in Tokyo and founded in 1997 by Hiroshi Mikitani. Its B2B2C e-commerce platform Rakuten Ichiba is the largest e-commerce site in Japan and among the world's largest by sales. The company operates Japan's biggest Internet bank and number 1 credit card company (by transaction value). It also offers e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications services to over 1 billion members around the world, and operates in 29 countries and regions. It is often referred to as "the Amazon of Japan"."
"Its major acquisitions include Buy.com (now Rakuten.com in the US), PriceMinister (France), Ikeda (now Rakuten Brasil), Tradoria (now Rakuten Deutschland), Play.com (now Rakuten.co.uk in the UK), Wuaki.tv (now Rakuten TV in Spain), Kobo Inc. (now Rakuten Kobo in Canada), Viber (now Rakuten Viber), Ebates, Viki (now Rakuten Viki), OverDrive, Inc. (now Rakuten OverDrive), Slice (now Rakuten Slice) and The Grommet."

Thanks for the geography lesson, professor. And Indigo just sells Kobo devices among other things. I don't understand why you mentioned it.

When I click on the "Management Team" link on Kobo's website I get "Sorry, but this page isn’t available." https://www.kobo.com/execteam I guess the management is on the way out. Kobo used to be Canadian, not anymore.

Regarding the deals. Below is just the first page (part of it) of the expired deals on Kobo.
kobo.png
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9727 posts
959 upvotes
Vancouver
KnobHillFarms wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:10 am
I've heard these rumours for years now. It still hasn't happened so I wouldn't hold my breath. BTW if anyone wants good info on e-readers, head over to mobilereads.com. There's a forum as well where you can ask questions.
Thank u for the website! I was looking for a good forum to discuss ereaders.
Dec 27, 2017
10 posts
4 upvotes
Badbrad wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:01 pm
For any income
Of course, but it’s an especially amazing resource for those who don’t have a lot. I’m in the middle income slot, and we use it quite a bit.
Jun 9, 2009
625 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
alpovs wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 2:09 pm
Say what? Kobo bought Rakuten? Let me google this for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakuten
"Rakuten, Inc. (楽天株式会社 Rakuten Kabushiki-gaisha) (Japanese pronunciation: [ɾakɯten]) is a Japanese electronic commerce and Internet company based in Tokyo and founded in 1997 by Hiroshi Mikitani. Its B2B2C e-commerce platform Rakuten Ichiba is the largest e-commerce site in Japan and among the world's largest by sales. The company operates Japan's biggest Internet bank and number 1 credit card company (by transaction value). It also offers e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications services to over 1 billion members around the world, and operates in 29 countries and regions. It is often referred to as "the Amazon of Japan"."
"Its major acquisitions include Buy.com (now Rakuten.com in the US), PriceMinister (France), Ikeda (now Rakuten Brasil), Tradoria (now Rakuten Deutschland), Play.com (now Rakuten.co.uk in the UK), Wuaki.tv (now Rakuten TV in Spain), Kobo Inc. (now Rakuten Kobo in Canada), Viber (now Rakuten Viber), Ebates, Viki (now Rakuten Viki), OverDrive, Inc. (now Rakuten OverDrive), Slice (now Rakuten Slice) and The Grommet."

Thanks for the geography lesson, professor. And Indigo just sells Kobo devices among other things. I don't understand why you mentioned it.

When I click on the "Management Team" link on Kobo's website I get "Sorry, but this page isn’t available." https://www.kobo.com/execteam I guess the management is on the way out. Kobo used to be Canadian, not anymore.

Regarding the deals. Below is just the first page (part of it) of the expired deals on Kobo.

kobo.png
Easy thunderbird. As I mentioned before, I forgot a word. Obviously Kobo didn't buy Rakuten, who is to Japan what Amazon is to the US.

As for the 'deals', did you even read what it says? And since you're stuck on it, let me approach this in a different way.

- Amazon sells a better device, albeit a more closed ecosystem.
- Kobo finally has a worldwide presence due to Rakuten, and they still sell less Kobos worlwide than Amazon sells Kindles
-Kindle books are cheaper
-Kindle offers audible
-Kindle offers 'Kindle unlimited'
-Kindle offers many more freebies than Kobo
-Kindle ecosystem includes tablets thus providing even more promotions/savings
-Kindles are constructed better overall

Again, I own 3 Kobo models and my wife owns the exact 3 models, but I pounced on this deal because the overall ecosystem and hardware is better on Kindle. This isn't my opinion, this is the general opinion.

Hell, I may be so ingrained in the kobo ecosystem that I don't even enjoy kindle, but I can admit my products are inferior...and more expensive.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2928 posts
550 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! Just ordered one and it comes in tonight. Any one have any books they commend?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
6082 posts
897 upvotes
I had the "get a $7.50 promotional credit when you reload your Amazon.ca Gift Card Balance for the first time with $100 or more" offer on my Amazon account so it brought down the cost to $102.49 before tax.

I currently have an older Kobo from 2014. I'm looking forward to the flush screen (easier page swiping) and waterproofing (bath time reading!).
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15809 posts
21235 upvotes
ONTARIO
Sepharite wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:50 pm
Thanks! Just ordered one and it comes in tonight. Any one have any books they commend?
lol there are so many different genres of books, you really need to mention what types of genres you are into.
www.goodreads.com is a very good site for finding new books and I highly recommend it. Since Amazon bought Goodreads, it's also integrated into Kindles as well.

Once you sign up and start reading and rating books, it will give you recommendations on books it feels you will like.
Sep 16, 2013
594 posts
278 upvotes
SW ON
peji911 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 3:19 pm
Again, I own 3 Kobo models and my wife owns the exact 3 models, but I pounced on this deal because the overall ecosystem and hardware is better on Kindle. This isn't my opinion, this is the general opinion.
Depends on whom you ask. I was choosing between this Kindle and Kobo Clara HD. If you read reviews for Clara HD the general opinion is that it's better.
Jun 9, 2009
625 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
alpovs wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 4:33 pm
Depends on whom you ask. I was choosing between this Kindle and Kobo Clara HD. If you read reviews for Clara HD the general opinion is that it's better.
From all the online reviews and reddit, I got a completely different impression.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2711 posts
756 upvotes
alpovs wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 11:02 am
Why do you think so? Is it written somewhere? If it's waterproof, does it matter what kind of water it is if it doesn't get inside anyway? I suppose it can be rinsed with fresh water after exposure to the saltwater. It's not designed for diving anyway, only for accidental drops.
Ah Shucks! I was planning to bring it on my next scuba trip and read a few chapters while I was 20ft down with the sharks and turtles....