Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2076 posts
308 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:42 pm
@Exp315

I am not blaming Overdrive. I don’t see why I should be supporting Overdrive which is owned by the same company that owns Kobo. Overdrive supports the Kindle in the US. Why don’t they in Canada?
Overdrive works natively with the newer kobos (Kobo Forma, Aura ONE, Aura H2O Edition 2, Aura Edition 2, or Clara HD) you can log into overdrive on your ereader and take out the book right on the device. It's not adobe's DRM that's the issue.

Amazon doesn't make it easier to take books out the library because amazon has no interest in you doing so. They're making money by selling you ebooks, and they'd like to make it as difficult as is reasonably possible to circumvent paying them more money for content. Kobo is an underdog in the market and needs to give you a reason to buy their device and hope you buy books through them.

That's why amazon isn't interested in getting library stuff working - because there is nothing in it for them. They don't need to differentiate themselves from kobo and taking books out of the library doesn't make them any money.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1463 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
@JHW

Journals are published digitally in increasing numbers. They have illustrations. That may be a limitation for eInk type reader, but not for digital devices. Plenty of books can be found on iTunes which contain illustrations.

Libraries are not free. They use taxes from residents. If you are talking about giving access to digital content for people who can’t afford it then that can be handled via many ways. What you seem to be saying is the government should be deciding what people get to read (via libraries).

I am not saying libraries should be closed. I do feel they have no future. Even university libraries have a questionable future.

I remember walking down the corridor of a UofT building and seeing all these paper journals outside a professor’s office. These were major journal so I asked them why they were giving the journals away. They told me the journals were available electronically and it was far more convenient to go that route ( searches, etc...). These were not just text based journals.

Perhaps there may be specialty areas where paper books still make sense. I am not sure, but my guess is it’s all over for libraries and librarians. It’s sad, but so was the demise of newspapers.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15807 posts
21231 upvotes
ONTARIO
pmcd wrote:
@Exp315

Is Adobe’s DRM used by Apple, which uses ePub? I just don’t understand the link. I can understand using ePub but the real issue is which copy protection is to be used.

No, I think Apple uses their own 'Fairplay' DRM instead of ADE (Adobe's DRM).
Apr 26, 2010
372 posts
531 upvotes
Alberta
KnobHillFarms wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 10:29 pm
Agreed. While the Kindle has slightly better build quality, the Kobo's are more customizable. Kobo has always been one step ahead when it comes to features on their eReaders (compared to Amazon). They got the front light first, they had customizable fonts first, waterproofing, comfort light, etc. The front lighting of the Kobo's is also much more even I've found. My 2nd gen Paperwhite had dark spots at the bottom of the eReader. Exchanged twice and they all had uneven lighting while my Clara HD's lighting has been pretty uniform and this seems to be the consensus for mobileread members too.
I loved my Kobo Touch and lent it to my older sister so now I'm keeping an eye on the Kobo Clara HD. I'm just waiting for it to go on sale. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9722 posts
950 upvotes
Vancouver
Has Clara ever been priced at $109? And I guess amazon doesn’t sell Kobo? LOL

I have a $15 credit which helps any purchase.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1463 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
@spiralspirit

I understand that Amazon wants you to buy from them. Libraries in the US support the Kindle, though not as nicely as is available for the Kobo. My Clara HD is very nice that way and is why I bought it. I just find it odd that libraries still rely on Overdrive. Are there no alternatives?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1463 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 5:03 pm
Has Clara ever been priced at $109? And I guess amazon doesn’t sell Kobo? LOL

I have a $15 credit which helps any purchase.
I paid $109 for the Clara HD from Stapes a month or so ago. That may have included a $10 coupon. But it was on sale. Nice eReader.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2076 posts
308 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 5:06 pm
@spiralspirit
Are there no alternatives?
There are alternatives, the question is, are there alternatives worth using for most libraries?

Basically nothing near the catalog or feature set available through overdrive. They make it easy.

The trade offs beyond the ereader issue are actually more important - huge amounts of libraries have basically ceded control of their digital catalog to overdrive and if that service becomes more expensive or ends service (like overdrive did to fictionwise without cause), it would be a serious disruption in service.

No matter what, though, nothing about libraries excites amazon because amazon would rather you buy the book from them.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3683 posts
2545 upvotes
pmcd wrote:
@Exp315

Is Adobe’s DRM used by Apple, which uses ePub? I just don’t understand the link. I can understand using ePub but the real issue is which copy protection is to be used.

I am not blaming Overdrive. I don’t see why I should be supporting Overdrive which is owned by the same company that owns Kobo. Overdrive supports the Kindle in the US. Why don’t they in Canada? In any case libraries should not be picking hardware. It’s not an ePub issue, otherwise they would support iPads, Google Books, etc... You cannot read a library book on an Apple device without using Overdrive.
Apple supports both epub and their own proprietary iBooks format.

Overdrive and most public libraries support the epub standard and Adobe DRM, which allows them to loan ebooks for specified time period. They don't support Amazon azw or Apple's iBook format because it's proprietary to one company, not an open standard.

I'm not going to pay my tax dollars for the public library to buy ebooks in the proprietary format of one manufacturer that excludes other ebook readers, including mine.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3721 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
pmcd wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 4:58 pm
@JHW

Journals are published digitally in increasing numbers. They have illustrations. That may be a limitation for eInk type reader, but not for digital devices.
I routinely use journals in my professional work. I read the articles on my computer screen or on a "convertible" tablet with 12" screen. E-readers are worse than useless for reading journal articles. Phones are a non-starter.
Libraries are not free. They use taxes from residents. If you are talking about giving access to digital content for people who can’t afford it then that can be handled via many ways. What you seem to be saying is the government should be deciding what people get to read (via libraries).
That's not at all what I'm saying. I'm merely pointing out the flaw in your comparison libraries to newspapers. Newspapers are going under because people read news online for free rather than paying incrementally for it. Libraries are funded through taxes that you pay whether you like it or not, and there is no incremental cost to their use.

I'll ask again -- who or what do you expect will undercut the libraries based on cost to the end-user?
I am not saying libraries should be closed. I do feel they have no future. Even university libraries have a questionable future.
We will agree to disagree. I think especially that university libraries have a long future ahead of them. Not everything is available electronically.
I remember walking down the corridor of a UofT building and seeing all these paper journals outside a professor’s office. These were major journal so I asked them why they were giving the journals away. They told me the journals were available electronically and it was far more convenient to go that route ( searches, etc...). These were not just text based journals.
I can guarantee you they are not using Kindle / Amazon DRM to read those papers.
Perhaps there may be specialty areas where paper books still make sense. I am not sure, but my guess is it’s all over for libraries and librarians. It’s sad, but so was the demise of newspapers.
"The demise of newspapers"? They have shrunk and consolidated, but they are still going strong, and still have an important purpose.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2231 posts
1006 upvotes
Vancouver
Badbrad wrote:
Feb 11th, 2019 1:06 pm
Lots of talk about skimming DRM off ebook formats and using them on the Kindle. I’m pretty sure Kindle TOS outlines you can’t be storing copyrighted content on your Kindle that is DRM ripped from another source. I’ve never heard of people getting a Kindle bricked or wipes but if your using the Amazon services to forward content to your Kindle or storing copyright material on it you should check the TOS.
You are aware that you don't have to synchronize, or even keep connected, your Kindle to Amazon. right??
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Jun 9, 2009
625 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
max011 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:09 pm
You are aware that you don't have to synchronize, or even keep connected, your Kindle to Amazon. right??
I'm coming from Kobo for the last 8 years or so and didn't know this.

How do I do this?
Oct 13, 2016
119 posts
100 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
max011 wrote: You are aware that you don't have to synchronize, or even keep connected, your Kindle to Amazon. right??
So you’re suggesting to keep it in airplane mode for its life?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2231 posts
1006 upvotes
Vancouver
peji911 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:10 pm
I'm coming from Kobo for the last 8 years or so and didn't know this.
How do I do this?
What was pissing me off the most w/Kobo was their "Home screen" with all the stupid suggestions of what to buy or read next and other junk. Is this still the case? I was almost happy my GLO HD was horrible device and I was forced to get read of it... Love that I don't have to deal with it at all on Kindle. BIG plus!
Badbrad wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 6:15 pm
So you’re suggesting to keep it in airplane mode for its life?
I'm not really into buying Kindle books. So I don't see why should I keep my Kindle connected to Amazon at all. And don't really care about "synchronization across all devices" and such... So, the free [and a few paid] Kindle books I have in the Amazon library I just download to my Kindle directly when I set it up. And that's it. You don't even have to have any Kindle books at all.

Yes, you can keep it in the Airplane mode [I do, most of the time; it at least triples battery life. Which is irrelevant because it lasts for ever anyway.]

Also, if you go to Settings on your Kindle, very first option is fiddling with your account, and there is an option to De-register from Kindle. If you ever registered. EDIT: No, it is NOT going to remove your Amazon books from the Kindle device!

I prefer having my own library, on my own comp/cloud managed by Calibre and also Mobi should work on the Kindle as well. Never had an issue. And I have enough eBooks to last me 3 long lifetimes...

And - before you ask - NO, I don't do Warez too much... Maybe dozen books all in all... Just coldn't get it any other way. And I delete them after reading, honest!! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by max011 on Feb 12th, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".