Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1623 posts
1485 upvotes
Alberta
MikeBrewerWheelerDealer wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:43 am
Not very good reviews on Amazon
I was tempted to purchase my first ebook reader, but you're right. The reviews seem quite bad. Some poor design choices and quality control issues...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
6215 posts
1920 upvotes
Montreal
Nexzen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 2:24 am
who has a public library card anymore...
Why don’t you have a library card?

You are in a book reading device deal thread.

You can get books by internet thanks to library card...

With Calibre software, it can easily be converted to Kindle format...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
5144 posts
898 upvotes
Markham
r1lee wrote: I still think the kobo is a better deal. You can load overdrive and use your public library card to borrow/download books for free.
Unfortunately you can’t do that with kindle, unless you’re in the US
The biggest advantage of kobo is you can select font size as you want, not just fixed options as kindle
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
5144 posts
898 upvotes
Markham
JackWhyte wrote: The new model designs after Kobo got sold to Rakuten (appeared ~2016) are kinda scary and I'm a big Kobo fan. I was going to buy a Aura One, but didn't like it or the loss of an SD card slot, and the Forma looks like some kind of a joke.

Since the Kobo Aura H2O version 2.0, it's all been about streamlining functionality and going cheap on features (like no SD cards, dodgy screens, etc.). It's a classic example of a money-hungry foreign corporation buying up a popular brand and then going cheap on design and components, thus driving the once-proud brand into the ground.
But why you need SD card
Dec 5, 2016
217 posts
259 upvotes
Hmm, I wouldn't mind one of these but I promised myself that I wouldn't buy any new devices that aren't USB-C, maybe next year.
Nexzen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 2:24 am
who has a public library card anymore...
You're posting this in an RFD thread about a reading device?
Oct 9, 2011
868 posts
374 upvotes
GTA
rwczen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:10 am
Not sure, thinking of giving it as a gift and reading reviews that it stores audiobooks as well. I’m not sure how much space the average user would need
Don't bother with the 32Gb. You can't possibly store that many books and audiobooks and read them all. My wife has over a thousand books on her old Sony 2 Gb ereader and hasn't read through them all yet and she's had the reader for > 10 years.

Keep in mind, a book is usually < 1mb, based on 2 Kb per page
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Oct 9, 2011
868 posts
374 upvotes
GTA
Thanks OP. Bought one over XMas for $117.99 for my wife. I've been wanting one too so at this price, I've convinced myself to get one.
1 x Zoomer Wireless $40.50 loyalty plan - 5 GB of data!
5 x Freedom Mobile plans
Ecobee 3 Lite courtesy of Green On (ie tax payers)
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2010
1697 posts
210 upvotes
I bought one to replace my kobo Aura HD which would flake out on me a few times a year. The Kindle software and hardware design are vastly superior in my opinion. I transferred all my ePubs to calibres and sent them to my Kindle. No more issues with page turn and the ereader suddenly stop working.

If you’re looking for a new ereader I’d highly recomend this one.
How can an ant carry twenty times its body weight, but root beer floats are still delicious?
Aug 1, 2012
725 posts
87 upvotes
Cambridge
Bought one for wife at launch during Nov last year.. haven't heard of any issues about the device.
Jun 6, 2013
310 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I used caliber a long time ago and it would always screw up the ePub to mobi conversion with formatting errors in one way or another. Is it still like that?

Also, I find the pocket integration on Kobo really awesome... I save long form articles on my phone and then read them on my kobo later.
Mar 16, 2006
222 posts
161 upvotes
Kobo claims they have over a million free books. Does your experience require more?
More importantly is they don’t make it easy to see that whole list because they want to make money. But they are there and can be found through various search techniques.
cpfan wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:54 pm
Once you buy an ereader, you need to find something to read on it. In my experience, many more ebooks are FREE for Kindle than for Kobo.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8484 posts
855 upvotes
smartie wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:46 am
The biggest advantage of kobo is you can select font size as you want, not just fixed options as kindle
Sure, I just think the idea of using overdrive for free books almost negates any slight advantage the kindle might have. My daughters Clara hd has been awesome.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8484 posts
855 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:54 am
Damn I’ve been waiting for the Kobo hdclara to go on sale. Been so long now. I like that I can borrow books from the library. But I’m becoming a bit impatient.

Guess I could get a kindle.
Go to visions and try to get 10-15% off by bargaining. We did this and got the Clara hd at preboxing day prices.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13993 posts
4161 upvotes
Montreal
rwczen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:58 am
Is it worth getting the 32gb version?
Not at the smaller form factor.

The reason to get more storage (or want a reader with an SD card) is if you use a lot of PDF or illustrated books/comics on it, as those take up a lot of space. Those work a lot better at the 7=8" range.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.