Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] All-new Kindle Paperwhite $109.99 (21% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 2:37 am
Jun 9, 2009
683 posts
101 upvotes
Hamilton
A couple of things to take note: apparently the Canadian version doesn’t come with Bluetooth for audible listening, it doesn’t work with Canadian libraries, and the glare on the new glass screen appears to be very noticeable
Sep 14, 2017
129 posts
45 upvotes
r1lee wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:36 pm
I still think the kobo is a better deal. You can load overdrive and use your public library card to borrow/download books for free.
Unfortunately you can’t do that with kindle, unless you’re in the US
How do you load Overdrive onto a Kobo?
Or can only certain Kobo readers do that?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17148 posts
23665 upvotes
ONTARIO
smartie wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:46 am
The biggest advantage of kobo is you can select font size as you want, not just fixed options as kindle
I don't understand this.

On the Kindle you can select up to 14 different font sizes and by default there are 10 different font types to choose from.

Not to mention, there is custom font support. So if for some reason you're super picky or there's just some unique font that you love, you can actually download it from the internet (.TTF or .OTF), put it onto your kindle device and voila, you now have your special custom font to use.
Nov 9, 2017
53 posts
41 upvotes
Nexzen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 2:24 am
who has a public library card anymore...
Many, many, people. And if you happen to live in Toronto, it's one of the best library systems anywhere. Online resources. E-books. Films. Access to gigantic amount of research materials. Access to Lynda.com classes. Museum passes. Lectures. And did I mention free to the public? Which is the best "RedFlag" deal imaginable.
Dec 5, 2016
217 posts
258 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 11:33 am
Not at the smaller form factor.

The reason to get more storage (or want a reader with an SD card) is if you use a lot of PDF or illustrated books/comics on it, as those take up a lot of space. Those work a lot better at the 7=8" range.
The reviews talk about Audible support, so I imagine audiobooks would be a big reason to get more storage space?
Feb 22, 2011
169 posts
120 upvotes
Mississauga
BobSagget wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:19 am
Personally, I don't think so.

I have the 2nd gen paperwhite which has only 2GB of storage and even with hundreds of books on my Kindle, I still have 800MB free and not once have I even thought about running low on space. Plus all your books and documents are also stored in your amazon cloud drive too, which I think is like 5GB (free).
Yeah the newer version supports audiobooks, but still. You would need to store literally THOUSANDS of ebooks on the Kindle or a ton of audiobooks to fill up 32GB of storage.
Good to know, thank you!
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10348 posts
1164 upvotes
Vancouver
nstlgsnv wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:10 pm
How do you load Overdrive onto a Kobo?
Or can only certain Kobo readers do that?
Pretty sure all newer kobos were updated and now have overdrive option. I’m really on the fence. Kobo or Kindle. Kobo has comfort light and the ability to adjust.

The kobo claraHD has Kobo's uses a technology called "ComfortLight PRO" to automatically change its tint, reducing the amount of blue light it gives off. If you're a nighttime reader, this feature alone makes the Clara HD worth serious consideration.“

This might work better for me. Hope Clara goes on sale soon. Would have thought they would be matching Kindle sales.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2934 posts
2658 upvotes
Vancouver
rwczen wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:58 am
Is it worth getting the 32gb version?
Not at all [if you need to pay more for it].

Calibre is your friend; keep your Library in order on your comp and transfer [thousands and thousands] of the books you "must read right now" on your e-reader - you will never run out of space even with 2GB or 4GB storage... No need to take every book ever printed with you at all times... Or, maybe you have to, IDK... Smiling Face With Open Mouth
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2934 posts
2658 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:54 am
Damn I’ve been waiting for the Kobo hdclara to go on sale. Been so long now. I like that I can borrow books from the library. But I’m becoming a bit impatient.
Guess I could get a kindle.
Kobo, unfortunately, took a big tumble after being taken over by Rakuten... I had horrifying experience with two [short lived] Kobo GLO HD...

But still can't forget the integrated Pocket...
"Totally fed up with that 'Political correctness' BS... If I don't like it - you will likely hear it. "
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2934 posts
2658 upvotes
Vancouver
cpfan wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:54 pm
Once you buy an ereader, you need to find something to read on it. In my experience, many more ebooks are FREE for Kindle than for Kobo.
Any eBook, regardless of it's format, could be converted to work on any eReader... Google it...
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2934 posts
2658 upvotes
Vancouver
smartie wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:46 am
The biggest advantage of kobo is you can select font size as you want, not just fixed options as kindle
You don't know what you are talking about, do you??

Maybe you should ask someone for help, or read the manual...
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2934 posts
2658 upvotes
Vancouver
smartie wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:50 am
But why you need SD card
History... Old models of KOBO had SD cards for storage and Operating systems.

Being based on Linux, KOBO is/was highly hackable...
Q.T.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1237 posts
1441 upvotes
TORONTO
I was able to get this for < $65 USD or roughly ~$86 CDN all in (only ~$54 CDN when an additional credit is applied, explained below.) Now, this only applies to a very small fraction of RFDers ... so it's also very YMMV. I thought I'd throw it out there, as a theoretically / technically feasible option.

Here's how:

1. My previous Kindle was tied to an Amazon.COM account. I believe changing country and content delivery settings can deliver the same effect.
2. Since its introduction last year, this model in the thread has been discounted during one or two occasions on Amazon.COM
3. The last time it was reduced to ~$79 USD for one day
4. Concurrently, Amazon.COM was / is running a trade-in program and accepting used Kindles (even those with broken screens that don't power on!)
5. I was offered $25 USD *INSTANTLY* for a 1st Gen Paperwhite in working condition with obvious battery life degradation, credited to my account on good faith.
6. I then used the American UPS prepaid label Amazon made available, and sent the item back within a week, using Chit Chats Express for a paltry handling fee.
7. It doesn't matter if your Kindle is ancient and broken. You will still get $5+ for it... but the next part is the kicker ...
8. ANY trade-in makes your account eligible for 25% off the purchase price of a new Kindle.
9. Send to a place like Cross Border Pickups, or deliver to Canada with MyMallBox, or make use of border warehouse services like NYAddress and pick up when convenient during the next cross border trip.

On sale for $79.99 USD and NY state taxes + 25% off for trade in + $25 Amazon credit = I didn't pay much out of pocket after all the stacks. I even did ebates.COM and used a cashback CC to pay just to be extra.

This Kindle will definitely go on sale again on the US site.
Last edited by PitchyDawg on Feb 9th, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2934 posts
2658 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 3:39 pm
Pretty sure all newer kobos were updated and now have overdrive option. I’m really on the fence. Kobo or Kindle. Kobo has comfort light and the ability to adjust.

The kobo claraHD has Kobo's uses a technology called "ComfortLight PRO" to automatically change its tint, reducing the amount of blue light it gives off. If you're a nighttime reader, this feature alone makes the Clara HD worth serious consideration.“

No problems with adjusting Kindle's light at all... Just another marketing gimmick.

As for the "blue light" - whether you choose to believe in this or not - even many ordinary cellphones and tablets have hardware options to reduce it and also there are many apps that do the same thing, EVERY color eReader has this option. B/W eReaders don't need it.
Q.T.