Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon Basics Carry-On Travel Backpack - $46.53

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2018 11:04 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
chrisguy wrote: Ya there is bags like that. I found one in a second hand store recently but it didn't have the 20L detachable daypack. It was the Asolo Wayfarer 50 seen here https://www.wildernesssupply.ca/backpac ... ayfarer-50
damn, the bag itself weights more than 2 kg already, and looks really bulky, might be in trouble with some airlines when you check-in. "This product is no longer avaliable."
Last edited by forgetpwd on Jan 24th, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 28, 2003
218 posts
73 upvotes
brunes wrote: IMO when people use a backpack as a carry on, they are sacrificing valueble free space. This is because most all airlines allow a carry on AND a personal item... And that personal item can be a backpack.
There is nothing that says both can't be a backpack if you want.

I have one large rectangle backpack as a carry on to maximize space but it still can usually be stuffed in the cabin bin easily, unlike many of the wheeled roll aboards or hard shells. Mine is very similar to the amazon linked one but it's any earlier Ebags version. If anything, you gain space this way as you aren't sacrificing space for the wheels, and the carry on size restrictions include the wheels if it comes down to it being sized before being allowed into the cabin.

Then I also have a smaller backpack as my personal item, and it typically includes any electronics or things I may want access to while in my seat (and sometimes overflow from the lady's luggage). As long as the personal item can be stowed under the seat in front of you, they don't really care much what form that personal item takes. And not to mention I find it much easier to navigate crowded airport areas with backpacks as opposed to dragging around a roll aboard.

This is the system that works for me, while still maximizing the use of available cargo space. I suppose YMMV.
Last edited by yupislyr on Jan 24th, 2018 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 13, 2010
143 posts
83 upvotes
forgetpwd wrote: damn, the bag itself weights more than 2 kg already, and looks really bulky, might be in trouble with some airlines when you check-in.
Would be too big to carry on with the daypack attached but without it its a nice size actually
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3663 posts
1174 upvotes
Mars
chrisguy wrote: Would be too big to carry on with the daypack attached but without it its a nice size actually
yeah, but then it defeats the purpose of 2-in-1 bag. btw, the product is no longer available anyway.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2014
3876 posts
1972 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
brunes wrote: IMO when people use a backpack as a carry on, they are sacrificing valueble free space. This is because most all airlines allow a carry on AND a personal item... And that personal item can be a backpack.
You would technically be allowed this and a carry on, thus really maximizing your space.
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
A mod should move/split this thread to Travel, lots of good comments

A personal item usually exclude a (large) backpack, depends how strict (an**) the airline is.
A handbag, tablet, laptop (excluding laptop backpack), camera bag, etc can be considered a personal item

I wouldn't risk it having to get it checked-in... less is more sometimes, bring less stuffs.
Travelling isn't about having ALL your amenities/"stuffs" with you
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2005
1772 posts
484 upvotes
Montreal
too bad , price increase
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
Tig wrote: I've been travelling in europe with a 40L osprey back-pack for the last 3 years and not once have I been forced to check it in the cabin. Even on Ryan air and Vueling which had the tightest restrictions. A few times while waiting to board the plane I saw cabin crew asking people if they wanted to voluntarily check-their luggage in the cabin but I've always politely declined. Even still, if I was told that i had to, I don't think the cabin crew would be rifling through my stuff. I was more concerned about baggage handler thefts from airport crew, which has been widely reported on.
Your point being...
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
3228 posts
964 upvotes
Mississauga
charlesd79 wrote: Your point being...
That you can travel with a carry on, in the overhead bin where your valuables are not at risk. Actually, this did remind me of a time where I was flying back home a few years ago to Italy on an Alitalia flight and one of the crew wanted me check my backpack into the hold (likely because I was last in line and they had run out of overhead space.) but since I had a short connection in Rome I complained that I might miss it...in the end they let me carry it on...but from then on I've made an effort to select a seat near the front of the plane so I am one of the first to board
Aug 7, 2015
32 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I missed it earlier, but it's back down again to $45.97.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)