• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2019 1:35 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3375 posts
861 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 5:56 pm
How does the quality of 4k discs compare with the 4k rips you can find online?
Depends on the encode of said 4K rips.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
3375 posts
861 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 5:31 pm
Beg to differ.
Agreed, seems like revisionist history.

I can still remember the first time I popped in the Matrix on DVD. I thought my eyeballs were going to explode it looked incredible
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19979 posts
1790 upvotes
YUL
ssb24 wrote: It seems to depend on what you are using to view video. From what I've read on AVSforums, those with projectors find a huge improvement with the Panny. I personally have both the Sony x800 and Panny 820, feeding an LG B7 65" OLED... I find the Sony slightly outperforms the Panny (slightly deeper blacks/ contrast, slightly better colours), however the Sony has that infamous intermittent freezing problem... Never know when it will appear (was terrible on Incredibles 2 4k, but non-existent on MI Fallout 4k). As such my vote is for the Panny.
Thanks for your useful feedback. I was debating buying the UB820 to replace my X800 but if PQ is on par, then I won’t.
I’ve never had an issue with mine freezing.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2434 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
Played 4 blu-ray movies on my Philips BDP7502 (FHD, 4K HDR10, 4K DV), so far no issues, smooth playback, and I can't hear the disc spinning at all. Just a bit slow when shutting down and a slight screen flash when it is automatically switching from SDR/HDR10/DV.

Quality wise, I don't have a comparison to other BD players
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2183 posts
825 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 5:56 pm
How does the quality of 4k discs compare with the 4k rips you can find online?
It depends on the film but I found, in general, rips with size > 50GB are good. The 62GB rip of Pacific Rim Uprising is pretty good.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15083 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
I went to the Best Buy at Keele and St. Clair this afternoon and found a copy of The Matrix 4k Trilogy with a price tag of $54.99. It rang up at $84.99 so the cashier adjusted the price to $54.99. If you happen to be in a Best Buy and you're interested in this set, look for one with the $54.99 price tag. Amazon has the same thing for $124.71.
Images
  • IMG_0006.JPG
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10516 posts
5614 upvotes
Oil Country
audit13 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 7:06 pm
I went to the Best Buy at Keele and St. Clair this afternoon and found a copy of The Matrix 4k Trilogy with a price tag of $54.99. It rang up at $84.99 so the cashier adjusted the price to $54.99. If you happen to be in a Best Buy and you're interested in this set, look for one with the $54.99 price tag. Amazon has the same thing for $124.71.
You could have had them to apply SCOP to it, and gotten it for $44.99. I got Spider-Man Homecoming 4K for $6.99 because the sticker showed $16.99, and it rang up as $19.99. The CSR I spoke to thought I was scamming him, until he called a supervisor over to validate what I was telling him was true. Needless to say, the CSR apologized profusely and felt like an idiot for not knowing the store policy.
Nov 29, 2011
566 posts
594 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
rinse wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 9:22 pm
Agreed, seems like revisionist history.

I can still remember the first time I popped in the Matrix on DVD. I thought my eyeballs were going to explode it looked incredible
agreed.
i remember when Star Wars on DVD was coming out.
for marketing, they ran a side by side comparison of VHS vs DVD at HMV with Star Wars.

the difference was H U G E. you saw it right away. (great strategy on their part!)
especially when they hit the PAUSE button.
that's why the DVD industry was so huge in late 90s/early 2000s. average joes saw the quality difference and repurchased everything on DVD.

accordingly to wikipedia, VHS resolution in NTSC is about 333*480 pixels = 159,840pixels
early DVDs were mastered at 720x480, which is 345,600 resolution.
that means DVDs had more than 2x the amount of pixels than VHS
so the difference is VERY noticeable.
(later anarmorphic DVDs were 854x480)

less so with dvd --> bluray.
a friend asked me what the difference was. i showed her the same movie on my 50" plasma.
DVD vs bluray. she's sitting about 3-5 feet away.
she could not tell an immediate difference.
so i told her she didn't need to upgrade her library to bluray (lol)
Oct 25, 2018
312 posts
326 upvotes
gotglint wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 10:35 pm
a friend asked me what the difference was. i showed her the same movie on my 50" plasma.
My wife can't tell when Netflix starts to buffer like when you hit play to resume a movie and it just starts playing at like 720i vs 1080p, it looks terrible until it catches up! Mind you she wears glasses but still....lol
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3970 posts
905 upvotes
Vancouver
gotglint wrote:
MikeB84225 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 11:00 pm
My wife can't tell when Netflix starts to buffer like when you hit play to resume a movie and it just starts playing at like 720i vs 1080p, it looks terrible until it catches up! Mind you she wears glasses but still....lol
Here's the thing: Picture quality is one of the many things where 90% of the general population really just doesn't care for or know what specifically to look for in a "good" picture. Then you've got people like me who take the time to calibrate so that white actually looks white and can tell when the blacks aren't dark enough.

There should be a noticeable difference between DVDs and 720P, especially on a smaller screen like an iPad. Perhaps the leap is less noticeable on a TV as you sit further away. Between 720P and 1080P, it's only somewhat noticeable on a smaller screen and slightly noticeable on a TV. Now compare two TVs side-by-side DVD vs 1080P and those incremental improvements should now be obvious. Where I really struggle though, and I think most people will agree, is noticing any difference between 4K and 1080P, especially with a TV that has even remotely quality upscaling. If you sit 5cm away from your TV, you will see the tiniest of details that you wouldn't in 1080P, but then move to a normal viewing distance and it doesn't matter anymore. More important than resolution however, is bitrate and compression and arguably, HDR. A high bitrate 1080P clip will look better than a low bitrate 4K clip. The Netflix version of Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II is far softer with more artifacts than the Bluray UHD versions. Then you've got HDR which makes everything look more life-like with increased dynamic range but you really need a TV capable of displaying a wider range of colours, deep blacks and high brightness. HDR is done incredibly well on the UHD copies of PE and BP. Those are truly two copies I would highly recommend picking up in physical form.
Last edited by lhsonic on Jan 5th, 2019 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Removed external link in signature.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1546 posts
595 upvotes
Hamilton
gotglint wrote:
agreed.
i remember when Star Wars on DVD was coming out.
for marketing, they ran a side by side comparison of VHS vs DVD at HMV with Star Wars.

the difference was H U G E. you saw it right away. (great strategy on their part!)
especially when they hit the PAUSE button.
that's why the DVD industry was so huge in late 90s/early 2000s. average joes saw the quality difference and repurchased everything on DVD.

accordingly to wikipedia, VHS resolution in NTSC is about 333*480 pixels = 159,840pixels

I accidentally put in the mission impossible 5 DVD over the Blu ray, noticed it on the paramount logo. Started losing my mind thinking it was equipment related.

This is on a 65 900 series Sony. BD to 4k isn't that noticible unless it's HDR and still takes a minute to notice. 4k CFL/MLB/NBA looks spectacular on Bell Fine, huge upgrade.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
1417 posts
1035 upvotes
Toronto
They want you to believe you need this. Just like all the previous formats. Eventually it turns to plastic garbage.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
2505 posts
601 upvotes
Scarborough
gotglint wrote:

Not that much on resolution, the most noticeable quality is the yuge reduction of NOISE! I'm guessing this is why your didn't notice any diff for there is not as much signal noise degradation between dvd and blu ray.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2555 posts
307 upvotes
piezo5 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 8:55 pm
Just checked and found out PS4 Pro doesn't do 4k blu ray... guess i can't even watch them lol. Good deal tho
I dont know where you saw that but its not true. I have a PS4Pro and it plays 4k movies just fine.
Nov 10, 2005
244 posts
109 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:27 am
I dont know where you saw that but its not true. I have a PS4Pro and it plays 4k movies just fine.
He's talking about from disc. The PS4 Pro doesn't play 4k UHD-BD movies as it doesn't have a UHD-BD drive.