• May 9th, 2019 1:35 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15082 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
fudge_u wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 8:17 pm
You could have had them to apply SCOP to it, and gotten it for $44.99. I got Spider-Man Homecoming 4K for $6.99 because the sticker showed $16.99, and it rang up as $19.99. The CSR I spoke to thought I was scamming him, until he called a supervisor over to validate what I was telling him was true. Needless to say, the CSR apologized profusely and felt like an idiot for not knowing the store policy.
Thanks.

I'll have to look in another BB to see if I can find another copy. I haven't opened mine yet.
Apr 7, 2007
359 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
I picked up The Matrix 4k Trilogy for $54.99 from BB yesterday. It is 50% off now. I am planning to sell the Blu-ray copy and keep the 4K one.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
19973 posts
1784 upvotes
YUL
HammerJoe wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 12:27 am
I dont know where you saw that but its not true. I have a PS4Pro and it plays 4k movies just fine.
LOL, no it doesn't. The PS4 Pro can play GAMES in 4K, but it does NOT have a 4K UHD blu-ray driver, and therefore it will not play 4K UHD discs. It will only play regular blu-rays.
Feb 10, 2014
423 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
So, on a complete tangent here, I picked up the Harry Potter 4k set when it was 109.99. Still wish I got it at 99.99, but well, I didnt want to wait again.

Visually the 4k is better than the bluray for sure. The HDR makes the biggest difference to me than the resolution.

However, the DTS X sound blew me away. That alone is worth the price for this upgrade if you have the equipment for it. These movies were perfect for showcasing object based audio.

Just wow is all I can say. Recommended.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2433 posts
1779 upvotes
Toronto
Coresu wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:48 pm
So, on a complete tangent here, I picked up the Harry Potter 4k set when it was 109.99. Still wish I got it at 99.99, but well, I didnt want to wait again.

Visually the 4k is better than the bluray for sure. The HDR makes the biggest difference to me than the resolution.

However, the DTS X sound blew me away. That alone is worth the price for this upgrade if you have the equipment for it. These movies were perfect for showcasing object based audio.

what is your audio set up?
Feb 10, 2014
423 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
dracolnyte wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:30 pm
what is your audio set up?
Running a 9.2 Pioneer Elite in 5.1.4 config. The room is square based with the atmos speakers (using Kanto BENs) firing overhead down (upfiring modules didnt work at all). Running with an SVS sub on an LG OLED and a LG UP970 4k player.

Front and side speakers are Klipsch Reference Premieres.

I'm pretty happy with this setup, but wouldnt mind to try and swap out the LG UP 970 for a Panasonic to see if it makes a large enough difference. I guess that's a later on thing to do. No rush.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
1206 posts
729 upvotes
St Catharines
fudge_u wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 8:17 pm
You could have had them to apply SCOP to it, and gotten it for $44.99. I got Spider-Man Homecoming 4K for $6.99 because the sticker showed $16.99, and it rang up as $19.99. The CSR I spoke to thought I was scamming him, until he called a supervisor over to validate what I was telling him was true. Needless to say, the CSR apologized profusely and felt like an idiot for not knowing the store policy.
SCOP does not apply to stickered items, only to shelf tags/signs. You got lucky.

Last edited by daddyho24 on Jan 7th, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5563 posts
1627 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Aren't many if not most all of these moves are just going to be upconverted 1080p? CGI at least is limited to 1080p. If so why not just let your set upconvert regular bluray versions and save some money.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1546 posts
595 upvotes
Hamilton
Coresu wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:48 pm

Fuming I missed this price
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15082 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
betamaxman wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:56 pm
Aren't many if not most all of these moves are just going to be upconverted 1080p? CGI at least is limited to 1080p. If so why not just let your set upconvert regular bluray versions and save some money.
DV and HDR coding done by the studio can have a big effect.
Feb 10, 2014
423 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
audit13 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 5:14 pm
DV and HDR coding done by the studio can have a big effect.
Exactly, going back to the source material will always yield better results then processing an already processed picture.
Jul 4, 2009
314 posts
145 upvotes
betamaxman wrote:
1080p bluray vs UHD 4k is not equal. It is not just a resolution thing, but also color depth/information. The CGI houses generating the elements have generally passed off 2k renders to the movie studios, where the DI (Digital Intermediate) process, performs up-conversion processes (which is much more involved than a hardware upscale process you get on TV hardware).

CGI is not limited to 1080p render size, this was the most popular for many years, but the 2k output is pretty much a thing of the past as most major studios need 4k now. CGI renders delivered, independent of any resolution, are delivered in uncompressed 32bit color file formats. The movie studios then grade the footage and output to the various formats they want/need. The disk authoring process for a regular bluray degrades the output to 1080p and flattens the image from 32 to 8bit (think raw photo information captured from a DLSR compressed to a lossy jpeg for the web). 4k UHD authoring keeps more color information intact by reducing from 32bit to 10 bit color (HDR) or 12bit color (Dolby Vision). The amount of information just between 8bit and 10bit is huge, not just in colors, but the luminance to display.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7286 posts
2040 upvotes
No. Most films, even old ones, were filmed on cameras that supported 4-8K resolutions.
This blog did a comparison between a good 1080p blu-ray upconverted to 4K versus a 4K UHD Blu-ray. Zooming in on an area from each screencapture.
betamaxman wrote:

It makes it a lot more apparent if the computer you are using to view the images is 4K native resolution.
HDR also makes a significant visual difference that cannot be seen on non-HDR monitors or displays.

Links:
https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/reviews.html

https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24321 posts
4608 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:49 pm
It is only apparent if the computer you are using to view the images is 4K native resolution.
Fixed that for you.

Displaying a higher-than-native res image/video on a digital display (i.e. LCD, OLED, plasma) is not going to get you any more detail. In fact due to scaling, it may even look worse than a native-res image. This is especially true if it's not an "even" scale factor. Luckily 4K and 1080p scale evenly but something like 1440p on a 1080p display will look worse than 1080p on the same display.

It's similar to gaming at 120 FPS+ on a 60Hz display. You're not really seeing any more than 60 of those 120 (or higher) frames.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15996 posts
4087 upvotes
Get ready for 8K and 10K though they seem to be far in the future. Cables and compatible inputs should be out later this year, though some TVs have already been released without the HDMI 2.1 standard. Might wait a bit for new gear if you want to futureproof yourself...

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what ... d-to-know/