Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Amazon.ca Digital Gift Cards - 2% Cash Back via eBates Gift Card Shop

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 12:03 am
[OP]
Nov 5, 2006
632 posts
1740 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Amazon.ca Digital Gift Cards - 2% Cash Back via eBates Gift Card Shop

Why not get an extra 2% off?

PLUS:
- You can pay with PayPal and use Amex, Visa, MasterCard or PayPal balance
- Stack with your credit card points and/or cash back on your credit card
- Stack with cash back when you buy through GCR or eBates OR with Aeroplan points via the Aeroplan eStore (5x this week)
- No waiting for the mail; you will receive a gift card code via email within a couple of business days

Get it while you can...
19 replies
Feb 18, 2013
781 posts
1592 upvotes
coopercold wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 5:16 pm
- Stack with cash back when you buy through GCR or eBates OR with Aeroplan points via the Aeroplan eStore (5x this week)
Gift cards are excluded from the 5x Aeroplan eStore.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5451 posts
1636 upvotes
North York
coopercold wrote:
Making purchases using gift cards also disqualifies you from GCR and ebates rebates.
Jul 19, 2005
704 posts
393 upvotes
DragonRider wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 5:43 pm
Making purchases using gift cards also disqualifies you from GCR and ebates rebates.
It's ebates gift card shop so it qualifies for ebates rebates.

OP means when you make a purchase on amazon with that gift card you can use GCR or ebates for more cashback; or get aeroplan points.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2006
632 posts
1740 upvotes
DragonRider wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 5:43 pm
Well, I pay for my Amazon purchases with GCs exclusively and always get the cash back (from GCR). I even get cashback for my Subscribe & Save items.
Dec 27, 2007
14775 posts
6119 upvotes
Kitchener
coopercold wrote:
Why not get an extra 2% off?
Because you might want to get the CC extended warranty as well as cashback that you would lose if you use GC.
Dec 27, 2007
14775 posts
6119 upvotes
Kitchener
coopercold wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 6:12 pm
Well, I pay for my Amazon purchases with GCs exclusively and always get the cash back (from GCR). I even get cashback for my Subscribe & Save items.
Lucky you ... right from the GCR amazon page
0% Cash Back for purchases in the categories : Books, Kindle Products, Gift Cards and Subscribe & Save
Dec 27, 2007
14775 posts
6119 upvotes
Kitchener
koalajoe wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 5:57 pm
It's ebates gift card shop so it qualifies for ebates rebates.
What he meant to say is you will get 2% when purchase the GC but 0% when purchasing from amazon using the gift card (OP has been lucky his ineligible purchase is slipping through the cracks but that doesn't mean they can't close the loophole anytime or that everyone else would be as lucky).
Additionally everyday rate (at GCR) is %1.7 (assuming T&C applies and you don't get cashback when using GC), so saving are just %0.3 (assuming you are not purchasing from the categories with higher cashback than 2%, Home, Apparel, Shoes & Bags, Luggage and Jewelry, Watches and Luxury Beauty, in which case you would be at loss).
or get aeroplan points.
Right from aeroplan amazon portal page.
Earn 5 Aeroplan Miles for every $1 you spend! Please note the following items are not eligible for the accumulation of Aeroplan Miles: purchase or redemption of gift cards.
So you basically lose 10% to get 2%
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1965 posts
336 upvotes
Calgary
aasoror wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 6:25 pm
Lucky you ... right from the GCR amazon page
I think you get 0% cash back if you buy gift cards, not use gift cards.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2006
632 posts
1740 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 6:23 pm
Because you might want to get the CC extended warranty as well as cashback that you would lose if you use GC.
Which is not much use on groceries or clothes or the like.
Dec 27, 2007
14775 posts
6119 upvotes
Kitchener
coopercold wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 6:32 pm
There is no "lucky me".
I didn't say it didn't happen, I just said best of luck arguing with them when they decide to claw that back.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2006
632 posts
1740 upvotes
aasoror wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 6:29 pm
So you basically lose 10% to get 2%
Wrong. You won't get cash back for buying nor redeeming your Amazon gift card (i.e., adding it to your Amazon balance). But when you pay for a purchase, it doesn't matter the tender - be it credit card or gift card balance. You will still get the cash back or the miles or whatever.

Not sure why you feel the need to dissuade everyone from getting Amazon gift cards. I've been using them forever, and have always got my Airmiles or eBates or GCR (haven't used Aeroplan eStore yet).

Anyway, feel free to delete this thread if it bugs you so much.
Dec 27, 2007
14775 posts
6119 upvotes
Kitchener
Asoul wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 6:31 pm
I think you get 0% cash back if you buy gift cards, not use gift cards.
Good catch, that might be it then for GCR though it remains arguable, but aeroplan did specify "no purchase or redemption".
Dec 27, 2007
14775 posts
6119 upvotes
Kitchener
coopercold wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 6:36 pm
Anyway, feel free to delete this thread if it bugs you so much.
Bugging me is not a threshold for thread posting, you don't need to worry about that.
I have just had my share of "reversals and revisions" from GCR, so won't hurt much for people to know :) at least losing extended warranty is something people need to note if they are making a big purchase with these GCs.
Take it easy .. no need to get so defensive ;) I am not bugged by your thread ... actually thread poses an interesting interpretation for "GC redemption" though still debatable (though of not much use as one can't negotiate with GCR).