Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Amazon.ca - Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst $139.95

[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3606 posts
160 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Amazon.ca - Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst $139.95

Was alerted to this drop by 3XC today, best price ever.

Excellent reviews on Amazon, competitor (Long and McQuade) sells for $249.99, also with excellent reviews.

Should be a great beginner guitar or good one to pair with Rocksmith or similar

Enjoy!
67 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3606 posts
160 upvotes
tlnnx wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 12:04 pm
Also on sale at Best Buy for the same price.
Good catch if you don't want to worry about shipping and have it in stock nearby
Mar 8, 2010
133 posts
49 upvotes
I have this guitar, great beginners guitar
Nov 24, 2014
193 posts
97 upvotes
I have 0 knowledge in guitar playing but would love to pick this up and start learning.

Anyone know what it will take for someone like me to pick up guitar playing? Time investment required? Thanks so much
Jun 8, 2012
197 posts
35 upvotes
Will I need to buy anything else with this? Like an amp of something or can I just connect it with my existing speaker system? Just looking to learn and fool around with it a little.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
1913 posts
795 upvotes
If you have a ps3/4 xbox360/one or pc you can get Rocksmith with the tone cable.

This will let you easily play through your tv/sound system/headphones.

It also is a decent guitar teaching program while being fun.

It will never sound as good as buying a small amp, but it's a decent way to learn.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2012
1339 posts
594 upvotes
jurassicworld wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:24 pm
I have 0 knowledge in guitar playing but would love to pick this up and start learning.

Anyone know what it will take for someone like me to pick up guitar playing? Time investment required? Thanks so much
I'm not sure how to answer that. It's a progression sort of thing, so while it's pretty easy to pick-up and start playing some simple riffs (smoke on the water, sunshine of your love) other songs will be much harder to learn and will take enormous practice. There's also a difference in being able to play something, and being able to play it well. Honestly, learning to play take some practice, and if you can't devote the time to it, you probably won't get much in terms of results.
Sep 2, 2007
270 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver
this is my personal limited knowledge but if you guys want to fool around you might as well get an acoustic. it's harder to play but i think you'll enjoy it more as a beginner/rhythm guitar player.

if you do plan on playing around with rocksmith, then yes you should buy this.
SHR3WD wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:27 pm
Will I need to buy anything else with this? Like an amp of something or can I just connect it with my existing speaker system? Just looking to learn and fool around with it a little.
yes, it outputs 0 electricity so you need an amp to make it sound proper. you can play without an amp but then you might as well get an acoustic guitar. the guy at a local guitar shop said even the generic ones are decent, you don't need a seagull s6 ($400) or anything like that to start.
jurassicworld wrote:

there's rhythm guitar - your guitar accompanies your voice, which is the melody. not much for rhythm guitar. an hour, maybe max two hours a day.you learn the chords and shape first. then you put the shapes together and learn a song. then when you get better you sing along. look through youtube guitar lessons, it's really fun, there's a lot of progression along the way that keeps you motivated.

learning scales/guitar solos, which are in my opinion the highlight of electric guitars, are a bit harder in my opinion. you will learn some of it if you start with rhythm (finger picking, licks, etc). think of guitar solos as the melody, the part you hum the most in a song.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1713 posts
448 upvotes
It's a good deal for a beginner's guitar. I wouldn't buy one for myself because I've been playing for over 40 years but I wouldn't hesitate recommending this for a beginner.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Feb 26, 2008
71 posts
29 upvotes
Surrey
McGarnagle wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:59 pm
Any deals on Gibson guitars?
even if there was a deal on Gibson guitars I would not buy one without having laid eyes and hands on it. Quality control has been hit or miss. I have two and one of them was horrid. Needed quite a bit of work, how it passed QC was beyond me.
Sep 25, 2007
380 posts
129 upvotes
noplan wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:56 pm
this is my personal limited knowledge but if you guys want to fool around you might as well get an acoustic. it's harder to play but i think you'll enjoy it more as a beginner/rhythm guitar player.

if you do plan on playing around with rocksmith, then yes you should buy this.

yes, it outputs 0 electricity so you need an amp to make it sound proper. you can play without an amp but then you might as well get an acoustic guitar. the guy at a local guitar shop said even the generic ones are decent, you don't need a seagull s6 ($400) or anything like that to start.

there's rhythm guitar - your guitar accompanies your voice, which is the melody. not much for rhythm guitar. an hour, maybe max two hours a day.you learn the chords and shape first. then you put the shapes together and learn a song. then when you get better you sing along. look through youtube guitar lessons, it's really fun, there's a lot of progression along the way that keeps you motivated.

learning scales/guitar solos, which are in my opinion the highlight of electric guitars, are a bit harder in my opinion. you will learn some of it if you start with rhythm (finger picking, licks, etc). think of guitar solos as the melody, the part you hum the most in a song.
Different schools of thought on acoustic vs. electric as beginner's guitar. Not sure I'd always recommend an acoustic for a beginner. Of course, you wouldn't need an amp with an acoustic (and is more portable) but at the same time, there's a huge learning curve - physically mainly - for a beginner. The neck dimensions, string gauge and body size make it that much more difficult for a beginner on an acoustic.

Mainly, I'd say it depends on what style of music the beginner relates to most, and most importantly, keeps him/her motivated. At the start it could be a little discouraging, so motivation is important. Definitely an electric (with a cheap amp) is a more versatile instrument, especially if one ventures beyond the G-C-D chord (3rd fret) realm.
Feb 26, 2008
71 posts
29 upvotes
Surrey
jurassicworld wrote:

The most important thing is the feel of the guitar. If it is uncomfortable for you to hold, it's not going to be an instrument you'll enjoy playing. That being said, you can pick up 10 of the "same" guitars, no matter the make, and they will all feel different.

Time investment depends on you. How much time do you have to practice and learn? An hour is a good time slot to start with. A lot of it will come from development of muscle memory, so be prepared to play and repeat till you get it right. It's a bit frustrating at first but....what isn't when you first start something new? That's the fun of it.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1713 posts
448 upvotes
rancid82 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 6:46 pm
even if there was a deal on Gibson guitars I would not buy one without having laid eyes and hands on it. Quality control has been hit or miss. I have two and one of them was horrid. Needed quite a bit of work, how it passed QC was beyond me.
I agree. I own a vintage Les Paul and it's an amazing guitar but I wouldn't buy any of Gibson's current offerings without playing it first.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde