Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Amazon.ca - Epiphone LP Special II Les Paul Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst $139.95

Feb 11, 2016
51 posts
19 upvotes
montreal
SHR3WD wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:27 pm
Will I need to buy anything else with this? Like an amp of something or can I just connect it with my existing speaker system? Just looking to learn and fool around with it a little.
If this is your first electric, forget the amp. Buy a jack to usb cable like the one from Rocksmith and go download some virtual amps, tuners, pedals, tall stacks, short stacks, Eric Clapton's underwear stacks and play it through your PC to your speakers or sound system. Practice, practice, practice and if you enjoy your new hobby, go pick up a small Peavey of Fender amp at a pawn shop.
Jun 6, 2015
624 posts
212 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Is this a guitar released by the same company that makes epipens?

If so boycott, epipens are ripoff
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1731 posts
453 upvotes
chevyz07 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 7:03 pm
Is this a guitar released by the same company that makes epipens?

If so boycott, epipens are ripoff
Nope, no connection.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Dec 10, 2014
389 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto, ON
BlueSpecVTO wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:02 am
Wish this was left handed....
If you've never ever played before, you might as well learn "right-handed", because the options for right handed guitars are 1000 times better. If you already learned left handed, then never mind.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2002
4830 posts
928 upvotes
Toronto
Man I'd be all over this if my Squire wasn't collecting dust right now. Nice price for a good starter guitar.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2007
4710 posts
2730 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
I like the review on the guitar that complained about the quality since he broke 3 strings...
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
1731 posts
453 upvotes
McGarnagle wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:29 am
If you've never ever played before, you might as well learn "right-handed", because the options for right handed guitars are 1000 times better. If you already learned left handed, then never mind.
I second this. I'm left handed and am grateful that my first guitar teacher forced me to play right handed. The selection of left handed guitars is really limited and it's virtually impossible to find a deal on one.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
Sep 25, 2007
446 posts
159 upvotes
jurassicworld wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:24 pm
I have 0 knowledge in guitar playing but would love to pick this up and start learning.

Anyone know what it will take for someone like me to pick up guitar playing? Time investment required? Thanks so much
As another user pointed out, I'd not worry about the "feel" of the guitar. As a beginner, you'll have no concept of what feels right or wrong in your hands, that only comes with time. Having said that, you'll at least want a guitar that's "playable", by that I mean; relatively low action, decent pickups, and remains in tune. This guitar fills that bill perfectly.

Be prepared to spend at minimum half-an-hour to an hour a day practicing. And I do mean everyday, consistent practicing is key at the beginning. If you know someone that already plays, I'd ask for some face-to-face guidance, if not, there's tons of resources online.

Also, your fingers need to be "broken in", so to speak, at the beginning. From the start, it will be a little painful (good pain) but don't worry. I'd focus on tons of finger exercises (alternate picking exercises) that traverse all strings, across the whole fretboard in all sorts of patterns. Pro Tip: without delving into too much music theory, the guitar is mainly a pattern driven instrument (chords, scales, progressions) - if you continue on your way, you soon realize this fact quickly and it'll get easier. Once you get over the initial difficult physical hurdle, your pace of progress will increase dramatically.

For some quick advice, when picking; rest your picking hand (right palm) on the top of the bridge, grasp the pick between the underside of your thumb and index finger, and form a fist - this will be your base right-hand position. You'll notice your hand drifting from time to time, so be mindful of this fact and return to this position. Once you get your right hand in order, from there start picking on the low string (thick one - 6th string) with your left fingers in a 1-2-3-4 (index-middle-ring-pinky) finger/fret pattern, then work your way down the strings, then move up the fretboard, one fret at the time. You could reverse that pattern 4-3-2-1 or 1-3-2-4 or come up with any other pattern. You could also mix and match fingers and strings , i.e.: 1 on 6th string, 2 on fifth string, 3 on sixth string 4 on fifth, etc. - go crazy! When you get comfortable, you should buy a cheap metronome, and practice exercises with a beep per note, this will begin to lay down the concept of time.

Start with good habits, so seek some pro advice and most importantly learn songs you like! Good luck!
Dec 22, 2012
99 posts
18 upvotes
DEEP RIVER
How long is this deal on for? I've been wanting a cheap electric for a while but I'm not quite sure if I can bring myself to do it. This does seem to be pretty much the best deal I've seen on them though.
May 10, 2014
14 posts
14 upvotes
ON
CalgaryRunner wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 10:41 am
I second this. I'm left handed and am grateful that my first guitar teacher forced me to play right handed. The selection of left handed guitars is really limited and it's virtually impossible to find a deal on one.
This, or:
Feb 5, 2005
597 posts
48 upvotes
McGarnagle wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 1:59 pm
Any deals on Gibson guitars?
Epiphone is owned by Gibson.
Nov 24, 2014
207 posts
109 upvotes
joelones wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:48 am
As another user pointed out, I'd not worry about the "feel" of the guitar. As a beginner, you'll have no concept of what feels right or wrong in your hands, that only comes with time. Having said that, you'll at least want a guitar that's "playable", by that I mean; relatively low action, decent pickups, and remains in tune. This guitar fills that bill perfectly.

Be prepared to spend at minimum half-an-hour to an hour a day practicing. And I do mean everyday, consistent practicing is key at the beginning. If you know someone that already plays, I'd ask for some face-to-face guidance, if not, there's tons of resources online.

Also, your fingers need to be "broken in", so to speak, at the beginning. From the start, it will be a little painful (good pain) but don't worry. I'd focus on tons of finger exercises (alternate picking exercises) that traverse all strings, across the whole fretboard in all sorts of patterns. Pro Tip: without delving into too much music theory, the guitar is mainly a pattern driven instrument (chords, scales, progressions) - if you continue on your way, you soon realize this fact quickly and it'll get easier. Once you get over the initial difficult physical hurdle, your pace of progress will increase dramatically.

For some quick advice, when picking; rest your picking hand (right palm) on the top of the bridge, grasp the pick between the underside of your thumb and index finger, and form a fist - this will be your base right-hand position. You'll notice your hand drifting from time to time, so be mindful of this fact and return to this position. Once you get your right hand in order, from there start picking on the low string (thick one - 6th string) with your left fingers in a 1-2-3-4 (index-middle-ring-pinky) finger/fret pattern, then work your way down the strings, then move up the fretboard, one fret at the time. You could reverse that pattern 4-3-2-1 or 1-3-2-4 or come up with any other pattern. You could also mix and match fingers and strings , i.e.: 1 on 6th string, 2 on fifth string, 3 on sixth string 4 on fifth, etc. - go crazy! When you get comfortable, you should buy a cheap metronome, and practice exercises with a beep per note, this will begin to lay down the concept of time.

Start with good habits, so seek some pro advice and most importantly learn songs you like! Good luck!
Thanks so much for that insight. Can't wait to get my hands on it and start learning! also thank you to OP for posting this deal!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2005
5779 posts
582 upvotes
Thanks op, i had rocksmith for the longest time woth no guitar
Add me on PSN!

PSN: jayditto
XBL: escapade