• Dec 15th, 2017 12:31 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2246 posts
775 upvotes
QC, Canada
kitscha wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 3:54 pm
There was an Alexa app update on the Play Store today... Anyone using the Cdn app seeing any big changes??
now messenging work and voice intercom too
Aug 23, 2014
117 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
koontzy wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:03 pm
now messenging work and voice intercom too
How about 'household profiles'? Are they also an option?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7369 posts
932 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I just got this email from Amazon:
Dear customer,

Alexa is now available in Canada.

Alexa provides a set of skills and features specifically for Canada, including Air Canada, BMO, TD, Telus, Sportsnet, theScore, CBC, The Weather Network, and Yellow Pages.

Some skills and features available in other countries, including Amazon Music Unlimited, Audible, iHeartRadio, Pandora, Sirius XM, Uber, Jeopardy, IFTTT, and Recipes, are not available in Canada.

In addition, Canadian English and Canadian skills are not supported for Amazon Echo (1st Gen), Echo Dot (1st Gen), Echo Show, or Amazon Tap.

You can change your country settings on supported devices to switch your device to the Canadian Alexa experience. Customers who chose to change the device country settings on their Alexa-enabled devices to Canada may not be able to access content from unavailable services based in other countries. Customers switching countries may lose access to content purchased from other countries on other devices.

If your country settings are already set to Canada, you can enjoy the Canadian Alexa Experience without changing your settings. To find out more about changing your country settings on supported devices, visit the following help page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =202205900

Note that changing your device country settings will not change your Amazon Music account’s country setting. If you want to do so, you will need to contact Customer Service.

Sincerely,
Amazon Alexa team
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
2246 posts
775 upvotes
QC, Canada
kitscha wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:12 pm
How about 'household profiles'? Are they also an option?
no household and no voice training :(
Aug 23, 2014
117 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The official Alexa email made me laugh.

Available in Canada! Banking, news, sports, weather. And Yellow Pages.

What you won't get: music, food, fun, books, radio, game shows.

I know I'm oversimplifying. ;-) But to think the stereotype is we're boring up here :-)
Aug 25, 2003
100 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
So how to we keep it on the US amazon? I had Iheartradio, etc..... HELP!?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7369 posts
932 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kitscha wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:36 pm
The official Alexa email made me laugh.

Available in Canada! Banking, news, sports, weather. And Yellow Pages.

What you won't get: music, food, fun, books, radio, game shows.

I know I'm oversimplifying. ;-) But to think the stereotype is we're boring up here :-)
I know right, that's like saying, it's there but not and here's how to switch it to the US store lmao
dssking wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:58 pm
So how to we keep it on the US amazon? I had Iheartradio, etc..... HELP!?
Follow the link in my post...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7369 posts
932 upvotes
Montreal, QC
On a side note, to alleviate the 3.5mm output disabling the built in speaker, I hacked an old 30pins Apple BT dock adapter into a USB/RCA BT receiver and connected it to my AV receiver, works great until... multiroom music playback doesn't support BT?! It's already streaming through BT is my understanding?!
Apr 15, 2004
613 posts
83 upvotes
saberon2016 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:27 am
Now that it's the 5th, can anyone confirm that drop in works with a Canadian account?
Yes, I used it as well as landline calling successfully tonight. Set up on my Canadian account. Only thing I can't get her to do is link up to my fire stick. Supposed to be an option in the US, but doesn't show up for me and she wouldn't do it by voice either.
Mar 25, 2006
952 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
is there anyway to make a call to a no Alexa contact by name rather than phone number?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7369 posts
932 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bingo_jake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:51 pm
is there anyway to make a call to a no Alexa contact by name rather than phone number?
The app lets you upload your contacts to the cloud
Mar 25, 2006
952 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Daijoubu wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:08 pm
The app lets you upload your contacts to the cloud
Yes but it only allows contacting friends with Alexa account by contact name
Aug 5, 2015
479 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bingo_jake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:26 pm
Yes but it only allows contacting friends with Alexa account by contact name
That's one of the most confusing thing, and people keep on confusing Echo to Echo calls with normal calls to people who don't have Echo. Most articles I find online are very confusing about this. It seems that the Alexa App syncs with your phone's contacts, but when I go in Alexa App I don't see any contacts in Conversations / Contact. I tried calling a few of my contacts by name and it kind of works. Since most of my contacts have French names, Alexa is having a hard time but it works. So basically, it seems that the Contacts in Alexa App are *only* for Echo to Echo contacts, which means if I want a special nickname for someone in my Phone contacts, I can't do it in Alexa App. I would have to rename my contact in my phone to the nickname I want to use. I'm naming people with their full name, even if they're family members... but now I would have to rename my sister to "Sister" to be recognized by Alexa? Anyway, I don't get why this is so confusing and why the concrete difference between Echo to Echo calls and normal calls is not better explained.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
May 8, 2003
18 posts
Toronto
I'm confused and a bit disappointed. For iOS alexa app - I don't see the voice training / household profile settings, nor any of the calling out to a number features. Is this the same for others? Any word on if this will get updated soon?