Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon echo dot 2nd gen Pre-order $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2018 4:33 pm
Mar 7, 2011
12 posts
16 upvotes
I'm sorry, this may be already answered in the 55 pages of this thread... Is there any difference between the echo dot that amazon.com sells vs the one that amazon.ca sells? Do they have the same functionality?
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7133 posts
3736 upvotes
Montreal
friesenjeff wrote: I'm sorry, this may be already answered in the 55 pages of this thread... Is there any difference between the echo dot that amazon.com sells vs the one that amazon.ca sells? Do they have the same functionality?
The post literally right before yours answers your question.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2960 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary
shockem wrote: Anyone here trying to connect ISmartAlarm to Alexa? If so, heres an email response from them after I asked where's it at.

Me: Description:Why can I not find ISmartAlarm in Alexa skill in alexa.amazon.ca? Does it only work for US customers?
If this is the case, how much longer till it's available in Canada?

ISmartAlarm's response:
Hello,
Our Alexa Skill is released, but since the Canadian Alexa has just recently been released, we were unaware that it needed to be submitted through Amazon all over again. With that being said, the team is looking into getting that process started for approval by Amazon to be able to be available through Alexa Canada. Sorry about that, it's something that we were unaware of, as many customers were using the previous US Skill.

I decided to go with Alexa instead of GH because it was supposed to have an ISmartAlarm skill and for Amazon Music since I have Prime. I starting to think that this could be a long process before Canadian customers get the full experience like our neighbours to the south.
You can connect your Echo to the US skill store while still maintaining access to your Prime Music account through Alexa. That’s what I did so I could have access to some of the Smart Home skills currently missing from the Canadian skill list.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
Anyone else have mixed feelings with Alexa? It's only useful when changing it to the US, but you lose out on the status order option for Canada.

Also, is there a way to default Alexa to play spotify rather than prime music without specifically saying "play music on spotify"?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4212 posts
5052 upvotes
Montreal, QC
pitabread wrote: Anyone else have mixed feelings with Alexa? It's only useful when changing it to the US, but you lose out on the status order option for Canada.

Also, is there a way to default Alexa to play spotify rather than prime music without specifically saying "play music on spotify"?
This is one of the reason I totally switched to Google Home last week. I don't know how some of you can put up with having such a degraded experience With Amazon Echo compared to the US, and trying to compensate by having to fiddle with regional settings.

I just installed my first smart dimmer, and it's working super well with my Google Home.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile and Videotron Fizz customer :-)
Jul 2, 2016
159 posts
35 upvotes
pitabread wrote: Anyone else have mixed feelings with Alexa? It's only useful when changing it to the US, but you lose out on the status order option for Canada.

you can set the default music to Spotify in alexa app. mine was set to Spotify so i dont have to append the "on Spotify" everytime i ask to play music.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2960 posts
2337 upvotes
Calgary
willy0275 wrote: This is one of the reason I totally switched to Google Home last week. I don't know how some of you can put up with having such a degraded experience With Amazon Echo compared to the US, and trying to compensate by having to fiddle with regional settings.

I just installed my first smart dimmer, and it's working super well with my Google Home.
I am guessing most of the issues causing us to switch to US regional settings will be resolved over time as Skill developers update their apps and widen their availability to English (CA). In the meantime, they work really well and the variety of skills and Smart Home compatibility is excellent.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: This is one of the reason I totally switched to Google Home last week. I don't know how some of you can put up with having such a degraded experience With Amazon Echo compared to the US, and trying to compensate by having to fiddle with regional settings.
I agree. I was comparing it to the google home hence my mixed feelings about Alexa.
bornokjudak wrote: you can set the default music to Spotify in alexa app. mine was set to Spotify so i dont have to append the "on Spotify" everytime i ask to play music.
There are two options for default music services, one is music library which I could change to Spotify. The other is Default station service which doesn't let me select Spotify for some reason.

Is this the same for you and it defaults to Spotify when you tell Alexa to "play a song" or "play music"?
Oct 14, 2015
548 posts
644 upvotes
Halifax, NS
jarfgames wrote: I am guessing most of the issues causing us to switch to US regional settings will be resolved over time as Skill developers update their apps and widen their availability to English (CA). In the meantime, they work really well and the variety of skills and Smart Home compatibility is excellent.
Agreed, and once changed to US and adding skills change back to Canada and ALL the skills are present and work !
I have CND and US skills all working NP.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth

https://i.imgur.com/sPLlqUk.jpg

May 5, 2009
52 posts
15 upvotes
Cumberland Beach, ON
Im still having a tough time deciding on home or echo. I use alot from google but the echo looks very interesting. Anyone have insight?
Jul 2, 2016
159 posts
35 upvotes
pitabread wrote: There are two options for default music services, one is music library which I could change to Spotify. The other is Default station service which doesn't let me select Spotify for some reason.

Is this the same for you and it defaults to Spotify when you tell Alexa to "play a song" or "play music"?
I did set the default music library to spotify and same here with me i cant change the default station. as for asking to play songs, playlist or simply saying "alexa, play music", she will be playing music from spotify. I don't have to say "on spotify" everytime.

note that I encountered an issue playing my own created playlist if set to US digital content, I'm not sure if this is fixed but I opted to stay in .ca digital content as the current skills I have so far is working for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2209 posts
639 upvotes
My dad has the Google Home and I have the Alexa. I find google home lacking in many ways, I tested some skills and found that Alexa just has allot more to offer at this stage in the game. Google Home is extremely limited at this point in time and I don't know if this will or will not change in the near future.

But it all depends what exactly are you looking for:

1) Do you use Google Play Music and want that functionality: Google Home or Alexa with a special plugin (requires a linux server).
2) Do you use Chromecast: Google Home or Alexa with a smarthome hub
3) Do you use lots of diff homeautomation devices: Alexa has a larger compatibility list
4) Do you want a good speaker: Google is slightly better although Alexa can be found in many high end brands (Harmon Kardon for example).

Many claim Google is slightly more resposive to voice commands, I beg to differ, when I tested both devices I had a horrible experience with Google. Don't get me wrong both devices aren't perfect in that department but I find Alexa more responsive.

So in the end wtv Google can do Alexa can also do, the only difference is not eveything Alexa can do Google can at this point in time :)
biggyk wrote: Im still having a tough time deciding on home or echo. I use alot from google but the echo looks very interesting. Anyone have insight?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4212 posts
5052 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TurboTronix wrote: 3) Do you use lots of diff homeautomation devices: Alexa has a larger compatibility list
My personal experience is quite the opposite. I just bought and installed a Leviton DW6HD-1BZ dimmer and it doesn't work with Amazon Echo in *Canada* but works with Google Home everywhere. Many devices won't work with Amazon Echo in Canada because the device makers have not added the skills to Canada. It's really a PITA.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2209 posts
639 upvotes
willy0275 wrote: My personal experience is quite the opposite. I just bought and installed a Leviton DW6HD-1BZ dimmer and it doesn't work with Amazon Echo in *Canada* but works with Google Home everywhere. Many devices won't work with Amazon Echo in Canada because the device makers have not added the skills to Canada. It's really a PITA.
Here is what I have and works with Amazon Echo:
  1. Zwave switches and dimmers (every room of the house)
  2. Schlage zwave door lock
  3. Kuna front camera
  4. Ooma phone service
  5. DSC full alarm system (over 30 sensors, water sensor, co2, fire, motion, door, windows)
  6. Garage door opener
  7. Audio Video integration (using Global Cache)
  8. ecobee thermostat
  9. Homeseer central hub
  10. emby movie library
  11. plex movie library
  12. Spotify
Jul 2, 2016
159 posts
35 upvotes
biggyk wrote: Im still having a tough time deciding on home or echo. I use alot from google but the echo looks very interesting. Anyone have insight?
we have 1 gh mini at home and few echo dots placed in rooms. it's nice for us to have the drop-in features from echo where we can do "intercom" if someone needs to talk to someone. or me or my wife can hear what's going on at home while on our way to work. we used alexa app to drop-in or call to/from echo devices. on the other hand, gh mini is able to do outgoing calls, and google can identify and separate our accounts/voices. 1 gh seems to be sufficient as we can use our phone as extended assistant which we can't do in alexa app (no voice command in alexa app).

we don't have that much of smart home, only tplink smart switch, Harmony and few android tv which works ok with both alexa (has natural command to say
turn on tv) and gh mini where you have to say ask Harmony to <do an activity>. but shortcuts can be created in gh mini. gh mini can cast youtube videos to my android tv thru built-in chromecast features. echo devices can play multi-room music/spotify where my wife felt she's inside a mall when playing Christmas songs.

so my suggestion, maybe try to keep 1 of google and 1 or few echo dots depending on your needs. a little disclaimer, I'm no tech expert and above is our family's 1st hand experience,so if any incorrect info, I am willing to learn and will stand corrected.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4212 posts
5052 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TurboTronix wrote: Here is what I have and works with Amazon Echo:
  1. Zwave switches and dimmers (every room of the house)
  2. Schlage zwave door lock
  3. Kuna front camera
  4. Ooma phone service
  5. DSC full alarm system (over 30 sensors, water sensor, co2, fire, motion, door, windows)
  6. Garage door opener
  7. Audio Video integration (using Global Cache)
  8. ecobee thermostat
  9. Homeseer central hub
  10. emby movie library
  11. plex movie library
  12. Spotify
That's a nice list, but now how many of these points are not supported by Google Home? When I look at many smart devices reviews online, the fact that there's no skills for a device in Canada comes back a lot. Your Zwave devices, for example, will wotk with Google Home. I'm not trying to start a AE vs GH war, but I'm not really buying the device support argument anymore, especially since Amazon Echo is officially in Canada.

There was one device maker, I can't remember exactly which one, who even replied to a review and genuinely did not know they needed to re-apply their skill for the Canadian market. Amazon could have spent a few months contacting each device makers to ask them to re-submit their skills for Canada but they did not. It's a very messed up Canadian entry and shows they had no real plan or just don't care.
Dec 28, 2011
514 posts
427 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Has anyone found a way to make your own custom responses to questions to Alexa? There used to be apps for it but they don't appear to exist anymore. I'd rather not have to build a skill to give a custom response for a Christmas message.
Sep 4, 2014
69 posts
57 upvotes
Brampton, ON
helraiser wrote: Depending on what you have for zwave controller, you can use Alexa. I've got a Vera3 and may upgrade to the Veraplus advanced. Both support Alexa via skills and a plugin on the vera. You should check your controller as there may be a plugin to interface the two.

I cant find Vera skill in amazon echo. I have the second gen Canadian version. any advise?

thanks Harry
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
4795 posts
3847 upvotes
GTA
Was there any guess-imates for when the introductory price will be going away?

The girlfriend is buying me the Echo Dot for Christmas for the bedroom and if I like it enough, I want to get the Echo for the main room
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
4212 posts
5052 upvotes
Montreal, QC
qpcharry wrote: I cant find Vera skill in amazon echo. I have the second gen Canadian version. any advise?

thanks Harry
Let me guess, they have a US skill but not a Canadian skill... which is pretty much the same skill. <sigh>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)