Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Amazon echo dot 2nd gen Pre-order $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 12:15 am
May 8, 2003
18 posts
Toronto
Just to clarify here, if I don't hit the big 'change' country button and follow the instructions on switching to the amazon.com store - it takes me to a page to transfer my kindle account to amazon.com -> is this right? And will I be able to switch back later on?
Mar 4, 2014
252 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Does IFTTT work with Amazon Echo in Canada?
Mar 4, 2014
252 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
bingo_jake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:51 pm
is there anyway to make a call to a no Alexa contact by name rather than phone number?
Yes. I was able to dial by reading a number to Alexa.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7358 posts
930 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Lon wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:00 pm
Just to clarify here, if I don't hit the big 'change' country button and follow the instructions on switching to the amazon.com store - it takes me to a page to transfer my kindle account to amazon.com -> is this right? And will I be able to switch back later on?
Yep, but what you buy will remain on their respective estore
Boomer23 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:22 pm
Apparently not as per Amazon's email
Mar 25, 2006
944 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Boomer23 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:24 pm
Yes. I was able to dial by reading a number to Alexa.
well, I had tried that before and it works, my question is how to dial a number by contact name who doesn't have Alexa account. it doesn't seem to work for me (even I added nickname to a few contacts, but no luck)

for example: "Alexa, call Joe's mobile" and Joe doesn't have an Alexa account but he is in my contact list.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7358 posts
930 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bingo_jake wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:31 pm
well, I had tried that before and it works, my question is how to dial a number by contact name who doesn't have Alexa account. it doesn't seem to work for me (even I added nickname to a few contacts, but no luck)
Did you set it up in the app? It will verify your number and all, at least with an US Kindle store, unless it's not yet supported on the Canadian side?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
2532 posts
211 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I ended up getting the Google home mini only because they were in stock at BB for $39.99.

The TP Link plugs were on for $19.99. Come to find out I only needed the TP Link and kasa app to activate the lights randomly while away

Still don't know why I need a Google mini/Amazon dot but this site f'd me out of my money again.

Still waiting to see if I'm on the ecobee thermostat free install or just gonna buy my own. Again, this site figured me out Face Screaming In Fear
Last edited by hyperactiveme on Dec 5th, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 28, 2009
591 posts
169 upvotes
Boomer23 wrote:
I have done/installed some commands and it works properly (ex. add grocery items to my Todoist, add meetings to my Google calendar). New IFTTT myself so I don't know how complex some IFTTT can get
Apr 9, 2010
430 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
Boomer23 wrote:
Daijoubu wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:31 pm
Apparently not as per Amazon's email
I had this question too and tried linking IFTTT with Amazon and it does work. It asks for the username and password to Amazon.com, but I was able to access IFTTT trigger commands from my Echo which is set to Canada.

So far I've used it to find my phone (turn up the volume of my phone and call it). =) It says it only calls US numbers, but I can get IFTTT to both call and text my Canadian phone number. I've gotten the Echo to send me a text through IFTTT, but it's not the best, it just sends the same text message and I haven't figured out how to customize it yet.

Hope that helps!
Nov 22, 2017
28 posts
35 upvotes
silverele wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:41 pm
I had this question too and tried linking IFTTT with Amazon and it does work. It asks for the username and password to Amazon.com, but I was able to access IFTTT trigger commands from my Echo which is set to Canada.

So far I've used it to find my phone (turn up the volume of my phone and call it). =) It says it only calls US numbers, but I can get IFTTT to both call and text my Canadian phone number. I've gotten the Echo to send me a text through IFTTT, but it's not the best, it just sends the same text message and I haven't figured out how to customize it yet.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the info! I am waiting to get my echo dot which is yet to be delivered.
Dec 16, 2016
76 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
Woah! wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:34 pm
Either if you're Canadian.
These days, pretty much just White if you're American.
Winking Face
How about brown? & How will it sound like ?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7358 posts
930 upvotes
Montreal, QC
It does support English (India), I haven't tried it yet tho hahahaha
Aug 23, 2014
115 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Lon wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:00 pm
I'm confused and a bit disappointed. For iOS alexa app - I don't see the voice training / household profile settings, nor any of the calling out to a number features. Is this the same for others? Any word on if this will get updated soon?
Can't speak for iOS, but voice training and household profiles don't seem to be available on the Cdn side. Calling features don't show up for me when the app is installed on my tablet, but they do show up when I install the app on my phone, if that helps.
Aug 23, 2014
115 posts
32 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jceezy23 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:40 pm
I have done/installed some commands and it works properly (ex. add grocery items to my Todoist, add meetings to my Google calendar). New IFTTT myself so I don't know how complex some IFTTT can get
Pleased to hear that IFTTT is working, but did want to add that you can link Todoist through the 'Lists' section of the app, and link your calendar through Calendar (under settings), no IFTTT required. I assume you were just using those as tests, but just putting it out there for anyone who thinks they need to set up anything separate to get those things working - they're available in the app itself.
Nov 13, 2016
246 posts
92 upvotes
What's the difference between this one and the rest of the Amazon alexa devices?