[Amazon Canada] Amazon echo dot 2nd gen Pre-order $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2017 11:49 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5416 posts
1994 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
So now I'm just about to set up my Echo V2, but am curious as to which region or language choice yields the most benefit, Canada or United States?

I'm sure there are pros & cons to each one, and Canada would probably play nicest with my account, which will become Prime once I activate my 1 year free code from Telus on Jan 1st.

Yet, I'd imagine that choosing English (United States) would enable far more functionality, and perhaps a better speaking voice for Alexa (I'd love her to have a British accent even more though).

Is it possible to have multiple accounts on the Echo?

I'm currently on a Prime Trial until the end of the month, but will be axing that account once the trial period ends and then I'll use my main one which I've had for years.

Gonna be setting up some Hue lights, so just curious if I'd have to do it all over again, or if it's just a matter of switching the account in the Alexa app and everything just migrates over.

I've been reading a few articles, but not finding much useful info regarding account switching on the Echo while keeping all of its settings the same.

I guess I could just go the multiple account route, but would rather just add my Prime Trial for now, then be able to later add my main account (which I've had for years) once I activate the free year of Prime, and finally delete the Prime Trial account once it expires.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2490412,00.asp

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-set- ... azon-echo/

Perhaps the best way would be to first add the account which I plan to use the year of Prime with (my main account which is currently non-Prime), then add a secondary account which is the Prime Trial which I'm currently using, and test out some of the Prime benefits.
Aug 25, 2011
54 posts
10 upvotes
OTTAWA
@Woah!

I started off with Canada but quickly saw that that I got more bang for the buck from the US Region/Language. I can still do local traffic and weather without a problem, flipping the iOS Amazon app for shopping takes 2 seconds vs not being able to control by Yeelights LED lights running full on Canada was enough for me.
Aug 25, 2011
54 posts
10 upvotes
OTTAWA
Rockabilly wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:46 pm
How do I get Canadian skills?
I just got my echo on Tuesday and set it up, but it linked to my .com.
I even have Ottawa as address in .com but I can't see any Canadian skills.
Is there a way to switch back and forth between Canadian and US account?

Yes but its a bit of a pain. I just moved from Canada to US Skills since there was way more. Also in Ottawa, does not affect my traffic of weather which is all I care about currently.

You need to switch language settings and Content and Device location, had to be down online in a browse...doing it in the apps wasn't enough.
Apr 9, 2010
442 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know, I might try it out. I don't need Canadian News content.

Do you change your home location too though? What happens when you ask what the weather is or play a radio station?
Aug 23, 2014
119 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DecoyOCtopus1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:35 pm
You need to switch language settings and Content and Device location, had to be down online in a browse...doing it in the apps wasn't enough.
I didn't need to change Content/Device location. Mine is set to a Canadian address linked to my Canadian Prime account, with Canada as the location, but under 'settings' under content/devices I changed my store of choice for digital content to .com from .ca and my language to English (US) from English (Canada). Voila, had the US content/skills. Do the opposite for Canadian skills/content.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10442 posts
3115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kitscha wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:57 pm
I didn't need to change Content/Device location. Mine is set to a Canadian address linked to my Canadian Prime account, with Canada as the location, but under 'settings' under content/devices I changed my store of choice for digital content to .com from .ca and my language to English (US) from English (Canada). Voila, had the US content/skills. Do the opposite for Canadian skills/content.
Thanks for explaining this. I'll be setting up my Echo this weekend so it sounds like I'll need to:

1. Set it up based on my Canadian Amazon account (which will become a Prime account once Telus sends the promo code);
2. It's ok to set my Canadian address as the location (so that inquiries such as 'what's the weather like today' will reference my actual location and not just the closest U.S. zip code.
3. For setting up digital content, that's where I choose Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca, and pick English (US) rather than English (Canada). This opens up the U.S. content/skills which at this point is substantially more than the Canadian skills.

Anything else I'm missing?
Aug 23, 2014
119 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rvs007 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:25 pm
Thanks for explaining this. I'll be setting up my Echo this weekend so it sounds like I'll need to:

1. Set it up based on my Canadian Amazon account (which will become a Prime account once Telus sends the promo code);
2. It's ok to set my Canadian address as the location (so that inquiries such as 'what's the weather like today' will reference my actual location and not just the closest U.S. zip code.
3. For setting up digital content, that's where I choose Amazon.com instead of Amazon.ca, and pick English (US) rather than English (Canada). This opens up the U.S. content/skills which at this point is substantially more than the Canadian skills.

Anything else I'm missing?
That's what worked for me! (Just hoping that I'm a representative case and didn't just luck in to a perfect storm of various settings.) Note that if you set it up via your account on amazon.ca, once you select .com as your preferred store you will now need to log into amazon.com to see your content & devices (same username/password). Also all of this is done on the browser but the language is selected within the app itself.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10442 posts
3115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kitscha wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:48 pm
That's what worked for me! (Just hoping that I'm a representative case and didn't just luck in to a perfect storm of various settings.) Note that if you set it up via your account on amazon.ca, once you select .com as your preferred store you will now need to log into amazon.com to see your content & devices (same username/password). Also all of this is done on the browser but the language is selected within the app itself.
Got it... thanks. Small price to pay to gain more in usability I think. And because it's the same username/password between Amazon.ca and .com, it's not a bit a deal to have to go to .com for the content & devices.

Edit: One question though. If I plan on applying my Prime membership on the Canadian store, does this mean I cannot access Prime content (like Amazon Music) if I have digital content set to U.S.?
Aug 23, 2014
119 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rvs007 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:56 pm
Edit: One question though. If I plan on applying my Prime membership on the Canadian store, does this mean I cannot access Prime content (like Amazon Music) if I have digital content set to U.S.?
Again, at least in my case... because my Echo is registered to my Canadian account, it links to my Cdn Prime membership, and therefore Amazon Music is available to me. For the same reason, I assume, I'm locked out of Audible (which I did have when I was using a US account/address). The 'digital content' seems to apply largely to Kindle (it shifts your existing content from one store to the other) and games/apps. They run down what the changes will mean for your current subs/apps before you click 'yes' to make the shift.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10442 posts
3115 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kitscha wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 5:05 pm
Again, at least in my case... because my Echo is registered to my Canadian account, it links to my Cdn Prime membership, and therefore Amazon Music is available to me. For the same reason, I assume, I'm locked out of Audible (which I did have when I was using a US account/address). The 'digital content' seems to apply largely to Kindle (it shifts your existing content from one store to the other) and games/apps. They run down what the changes will mean for your current subs/apps before you click 'yes' to make the shift.
Thanks again, all this will become clearer to me once I go through the install process on the weekend. Appreciate your time in responding!
Aug 25, 2011
54 posts
10 upvotes
OTTAWA
kitscha wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:57 pm
That’s exactly what I was referring to in my post.
Aug 23, 2014
119 posts
38 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DecoyOCtopus1 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:01 pm
That’s exactly what I was referring to in my post.
I was just trying to clarify for others who have asked about changing the actual country under content & devices. You can keep country as Canada, but just opt to change to the .com store as your shopping location by clicking on the link they provide. I think we're saying the same thing, I was just adding some more detail Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Aug 5, 2015
481 posts
169 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Folks, I've been an Amazon Echo owner for the past year and I decided to buy a Google Home Mini today to compare the devices myself, as online information is somewhat hectic.

The first thing I noticed is that with Amazon Echo, you can have an "active" Harmony skill that will allow you to say "Alexa, turn on TV" instead of "Alexa, ask Harmony to turn on TV". With Google Home, it seems I have to say the whole thing unless I create shortcuts. So I had to create a shorcut "Turn on TV" and "Turn off TV" to their equivalent "Ask Harmony to...". Is there any other way to achieve this? If not, I'll definitely give Amazon Echo +1 for Harmony integration... but I like being able to create shortcuts though, I'm not sure you can do this with Amazon Echo?

EDIT: I've checked online and yes, it seems you need to create shortcuts for most of Harmony commands. A shortcut for mute, unmute, pause, result and so one. A big advantage to Amazon Echo here. Come on, there should be an easier way to do this.
Happy Koodo customer :-)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
5416 posts
1994 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Hmmmm....

Has anyone else who's using the Canadian region successfully managed to have multiple accounts on their Echo?

I've tried adding a secondary account (both are Canadian Amazon.ca accounts one non-Prime & one which is currently on a free Prime 30 day trial) to my Echo through the app, and it seems to activate fine.

Yet, when I try to verbally switch accounts on the device itself with the "Echo, Switch accounts" command, it just replies with "This device only has one registered account".

I've looked on my accounts with a web browser as well, and the Echo doesn't even show up as one of my devices in the "Your Apps & Devices" section of either ones account details.

One thing I'm liking, as others have stated the Echo is faster than the Google Home Mini at turning on/off/color changes of Philips Hue bulbs.

I'm enjoying the differences between the devices.

One oddity though, I swear that the Google Home Mini actually sounds better than the Amazon Echo V2.

Does anyone know if the Echo V2 app allows for bass/treble adjustments, or has an EQ?

On my Google Home Mini's, I've added a treble boost value of "3" which really brought them to life....but the Echo sounds terribly muted at stock settings, like there's a blanket draped over it.

Technically, given its' structure, and larger dual-speakers it should sound a heck of a lot better than the mini.
Mar 22, 2013
363 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
What are the useful skills people are finding on the US version that’s not available on the Canadian?

This is my first time with an Echo Dot so I’m not sure what I’m missing out.

Also, what’s the command to change the volume on the Sonos? Saying Alexa change volume to 10% changes it for the echo device itself, and doesn’t change the Sonos.