Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon echo dot 2nd gen Pre-order $49.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2018 4:33 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
pitabread wrote: Is your device set to Canada or for the US to get the additional skills?
Since I'm located in Canada and am using an Amazon.ca Prime account, I have it set to Canada.

I do have the language set to English (United Kingdom) in order to get that sexier Liz Hurley type of accent though, but that shouldn't affect anything such as asking things like "Where's my stuff?".

I thought that in order to set the Echo to the US, it needs a US Amazon.com account.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
Woah! wrote: Since I'm located in Canada and am using an Amazon.ca Prime account, I have it set to Canada.

I do have the language set to English (United Kingdom) in order to get that sexier Liz Hurley type of accent though, but that shouldn't affect anything such as asking things like "Where's my stuff?".

I thought that in order to set the Echo to the US, it needs a US Amazon.com account.
It's the same account for US as well. I thought my issue was because mine is set to the US, but it sounds like it's broken for .CA regardless if it's set to Canada or US.
Jan 30, 2016
159 posts
155 upvotes
Waterloo
Not sure if the lang was the cause, but afaik you need the account Loc == lang Loc in order to use the skill/voice purchase,
I wouldn't be surprised if you have to change the lang for it to work with your amazon.ca acc.

Mine works (amazon.ca account with Lang = English (Canada)), and where my stuff usually just tells 1-2 but not all existing orders.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
ChubChub wrote: i have one in my kitchen; convenient for saying things like "computer, what is 8.5 ounces in grams", or "computer, play jock jams on spotify". my living room is attached to the kitchen as well, which has much of my automation that requires voice commands, so things like "turn on the lamps", or "dim lights to 24%", or "turn on the fireplace". i could even ask it to turn on my tv, or play certain things on plex, but it's easier to just do that with the remotes.

I have another in the basement, which i am pretty content to yell at, otherwise id have needed two to cover the admittedly open space (mostly for music). I also have one in the main bathroom, again, mostly as a speaker for music, or listening to random news while getting ready.
How does it turn on the TV? Logitech Harmony remote/hub or something?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
tatung wrote: How does it turn on the TV? Logitech Harmony remote/hub or something?
I believe you could theoretically have a smart TV for this, but I don't. I use a Harmony Hub (does home theatre stuff as well, which is why I have it).
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2011
3097 posts
1514 upvotes
QC, Canada
ChubChub wrote: I believe you could theoretically have a smart TV for this, but I don't. I use a Harmony Hub (does home theatre stuff as well, which is why I have it).
I fount it's a pain in the *** to setup with harmony hub. Most of the time when I say "alexa turn up the volume of TV" it simply answer that my TV isn't setup for this lol
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
koontzy wrote: I fount it's a pain in the *** to setup with harmony hub. Most of the time when I say "alexa turn up the volume of TV" it simply answer that my TV isn't setup for this lol
I will say that I have a lot of automation theoretically available, however I don't generally use; I don't think I've ever directly asked my automation to turn on my TV, outside of when I initially set it up, but I have had it trigger routines that involve turning on the TV, and changing settings ... usually, using the actual TV remote is WAY easier for simple tasks. I really only have the Harmony Hub primarily to link up devices from the hub, rather than having a Harmony remote, which I had poor results with, and just felt janky. My equipment is reasonably high end, but relatively old, and does not play well together, so the hub does a decent job of fixing that.

As well, I use SmartThings, and I "BELIEVE" Alexa talks to SmartThings, which then talks to the Harmony Hub, instead of directly (had SmartThings and the hub before Alexa); this might explain how I haven't had any issues. Also, the way things are named makes a big difference with Alexa; I had two lamps called Living Room Left Lamp and Living Room Right Lamp ... in a room called Living Room, and another room called "Fancy Living Room" ... any time I used the word Living Room, it was a nightmare, so I eliminated that. Maybe if you named your TV something like "The TV", it would work better; who knows.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.