Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon Fire HD 8" 16GB - $74.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2019 3:30 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15423 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Fightguard wrote: I bought two of the 2017 8" Fire tablets. Used daily for about a year now by my kids (Netflix, YouTube, games). Did the whole Google Play, nova launcher, yadda yadda...
Does everything they need just fine and were quite happy with the ourchases... however, battery life went downhill fairly quickly, I find.
The first few months were decent. Kids keep them about 70-80% brightness. Though the last little while, it seems that they can get only around 3 hours, I'd say, from a full charge. It was round 6 hours or more when new....maybe this is normal, given their usage patterns? Don't know if the newer model uses the same battery. Just giving my feedback.
Can it run Accubattery?
Also 80% brightness probably kills it, i found with my Lenovo tablet that 20% battery uses just over half the power of 100% brightness.
Also charge levels matter, if its being stored at 100% charge (or above 80%) for long periods it may have lost much of its capacity already.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5279 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Psykopathik wrote: Love my 8" for watching netflix, awesome speakers. For anything else its slow. Frequently has long lags. Would not buy again.

The 10 is apparently much better with obviously a bigger price tag

No hacjing needed for play store integration just download and install the play store APK. Big thread on rfd on it. Cannot be rooted IIRC
This is the consensus what I've read about the device. My old iPad Mini 2 still runs the latest OS and is relatively fast doing almost anything (I don't play games). IOS has a leg up with it's light interface and less stuff running in the background. Get a iPad 2018 if you want something good.

Not having Alexa on the CDN version kills it for many people, myself included. They need new versions of these with updated hardware.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
Keepjov wrote: Going to try to price match at bestbuy tomorrow
Same price at BB.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1650 posts
578 upvotes
Toronto
Isn't a time for hardware revision for these tablets? feels like these tables been around for a long time without updating their hardwares.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2741 posts
467 upvotes
killer_chan wrote: Correct, not supported in Canada as of now. The tab for Alexa is not there, if you use an US Amazon account you will get it.
Strange, I have a Canadian account and I just asked Alexa the weather. Works fine for me. I didn't do anything special, just worked out of the box.
Dec 30, 2018
468 posts
505 upvotes
bought this during BF and returned it.

wanted to use this with the google chromecast for plex/netflix/youtube and it would not work.

other then that for the price its solid for just browsing/youtube/watching videos
[removed]
Aug 10, 2013
522 posts
246 upvotes
Mississauga
stulec52 wrote: Alexa Enabled - Not available in Canada

That keeps me from buying.
Thanks!
You save me a return!
Thanks Op anyway!
Aug 19, 2007
223 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
Got mine yesterday, installed Google play in about 15 minutes. Alexa also works for me (with Canadian account)
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
2069 posts
1026 upvotes
Nepean
gyong3 wrote: Isn't a time for hardware revision for these tablets? feels like these tables been around for a long time without updating their hardwares.
They just updated this last year.
Wrocky
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
I bought one of these last year for the kids. They were using a really old iPad mini before and it was really starting to struggle. The Fire HD 8 does a pretty good job running most of the kids apps they use.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2004
1110 posts
198 upvotes
Toronto
Petro99 wrote: Got mine yesterday, installed Google play in about 15 minutes. Alexa also works for me (with Canadian account)
Hmmm, haven't used it for a while, will try again tonight. I know it didn't before and I even called them and asked about it.

This is the hand-free, Alexa feature? If you swipe down from the top of your tablet's Home screen, tap the Settings (gear) icon do you see a tab for Alexa? The tab was not there for me, but when I sign in with my .com account, I see the tab and able to use Alexa.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =202083830
Dec 5, 2017
266 posts
198 upvotes
Calgary
Pretty good deal. I bought this 3 weeks ago at $99 for my 2 year old. Was a long flight to Japan so we had no choice but to pay full price. Not planning on getting another one, but this deserves an upvote anyway.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
3127 posts
320 upvotes
GTA
I have 2 and they both have Alexa (Canadian)
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
2561 posts
1777 upvotes
I primarily use it to stream sporting events to my Smart TV. Can't do it with my iPhone until my TV adds AirPlay 2.

Works great if I don't do too much on it.
Aug 27, 2014
639 posts
397 upvotes
Psykopathik wrote: Love my 8" for watching netflix, awesome speakers. For anything else its slow. Frequently has long lags. Would not buy again.

The 10 is apparently much better with obviously a bigger price tag

No hacjing needed for play store integration just download and install the play store APK. Big thread on rfd on it. Cannot be rooted IIRC
My iPad 2 (released in 2011) still works very well for Netflix. I use it when flying, downloading content ahead. It is too slow for almost anything else (but still usable).

I think this tells a lot about how weak the Amazon Fire HD is. But it explains the price.

Note that you can find refurbished iPad 2 on eBay for damn cheap.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
Thinking of getting this to put recessed into my wall to control Home Assistant. Has anyone else done this?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)