Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon Fire HD 8 $20 off

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2018 8:34 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
3220 posts
565 upvotes
GVA
I wouldn't call any change from 1080p to 720p screen or worse an upgrade for anyone with a nexus tablet switching to this. I personally can't stand non full HD tablets even if it is cheap
Jan 10, 2005
530 posts
254 upvotes
For those in the fence I have both the 7 and 8, and the 8 is significantly better ( better screen, better battery life). I love mine, but it's running pure android, which certainly impacts my review.

I've played around with the fire is one, and it's still fast and stable, and aside from ads it's pretty much the same experience. Still worth it imho.
Nov 4, 2006
181 posts
12 upvotes
Moncton
How would this compare to an Acer Iconia One B1-770?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
MANGLER wrote: For those in the fence I have both the 7 and 8, and the 8 is significantly better ( better screen, better battery life). I love mine, but it's running pure android, which certainly impacts my review.

I've played around with the fire is one, and it's still fast and stable, and aside from ads it's pretty much the same experience. Still worth it imho.
Please clarify. There is no stock android rom (or any custom rom) for this tablet. The most you have done is changed the launcher, which is not running "pure Android".
Jul 10, 2009
99 posts
129 upvotes
Ontario
In my opinion, Fire it is not an upgrade to the Nexus 2013.

Nexus has more ram (1.5gb vs 2gb)
Nexus has a much nicer screen (189ppi vs 323 pixels per inch....higher is better)
Nexus has gorilla glass, fire doesn't seem to have anything special
Nexus runs pure android
Nexus processor is faster
Nexus can run Android 6.0, but Fire is on 5.1

I have a Nexus 2013 and use it daily (and love it!)

Comparison side by side where you can do your own analysis if other things are important to you:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... hone2=5600

Good luck!
May 29, 2009
42 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Is this good for kids to play games on it? looking for tablet for my kids...this sounds cheap..however seems play store unavailable and there are some steps to follow...so looking for advise if someone used it for kids game play purpose ..of course small kids...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3660 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
T3rry wrote: my thought too... instead of just giving you a $20 credit, now they get back a used unit and have to sell it discounted, and gave you free 1 day shipping, and they have to send you a new one, and you have to set things up again... for the same end financial result for you..

Seems like it'd cost them a lot more than the $20 credit... i'd say they're probably out $50, and its inconvenient for you.
Believe me, it was perfectly calculated by Amazon.

They sure lose less money by doing that because the number of customers that will take the time to return the item and reorder it is low enough.
Jan 18, 2016
135 posts
171 upvotes
Saint-Romuald, QC
riltestuser wrote: Is this good for kids to play games on it? looking for tablet for my kids...this sounds cheap..however seems play store unavailable and there are some steps to follow...so looking for advise if someone used it for kids game play purpose ..of course small kids...
Just install Google Play Store and get a kid-proof case like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-HD-8 ... 01N458BKK/

You can create your kid's profile on the Fire to limit what app/content your kid can access.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
Pulled the trigger on the 8".

Don't need it but I will keep it at work and in my bag for the train when I go into the city. For the price I just can't say no and my Chinese tablet is essentially dead at this point.
Feb 4, 2018
1 posts
1 upvote
riltestuser wrote: Is this good for kids to play games on it? looking for tablet for my kids...this sounds cheap..however seems play store unavailable and there are some steps to follow...so looking for advise if someone used it for kids game play purpose ..of course small kids...
Yes, the steps to install the Google Play Store is simple and won't take more than 15 minutes.

I let my nephews (ages 4-7) use the Fire HD whenever they visit and they love using it because it's more lightweight than my Samsung 10.1" Tab A (2016). Screen is bright and crisp enough, and the speaker is decent. Really, there is nothing spec wise that jumps out but it is a solid device that does everything decently. I nor my nephews have dropped it yet so I can't speak on how much abuse it can handle but at the price point I don't think this tab is a bad or wrong choice.

I've made the Fire 8 my daily driver just because I like the form factor, and the fact that it handles all my media consumption needs.

Get the 32gb option.
Dec 8, 2009
281 posts
169 upvotes
London
Good deal. I bought a couple of the Fire 7 tablets over the past few years for my little guys and they are perfect for them.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1289 posts
1793 upvotes
Montr
Can be used to control all your SmartThings stuff. Just get the Tiles app
Nov 17, 2013
979 posts
196 upvotes
WINNIPEG
connectivity? Anyone know if there's an hdmi out or can cast to a screen (miracast)? miscro sub cable charging? Think it would be neat to hook this up to a projector to stream content from nas to a bigscreen application.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2014
2399 posts
3918 upvotes
Onterrible
vrej wrote: In my opinion, Fire it is not an upgrade to the Nexus 2013.

Nexus has more ram (1.5gb vs 2gb)
Nexus has a much nicer screen (189ppi vs 323 pixels per inch....higher is better)
Nexus has gorilla glass, fire doesn't seem to have anything special
Nexus runs pure android
Nexus processor is faster
Nexus can run Android 6.0, but Fire is on 5.1

I have a Nexus 2013 and use it daily (and love it!)

Comparison side by side where you can do your own analysis if other things are important to you:
https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... hone2=5600
Ahhhh, the Nexus 2013...a true testament to the phrase "last of it's kind."

Tablet is 5 (5!) years old and still nothing has come out to make me drop it.
Oct 26, 2016
170 posts
127 upvotes
Thanks op, was just looking for something for My parents lol
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3057 posts
1504 upvotes
Kindle Paperwhite AND Fire HD tablets on sale near the same time, might be time to hold those horses, there could be a new SKU around the corner.

ChippewaBarr wrote: Ahhhh, the Nexus 2013...a true testament to the phrase "last of it's kind."

Tablet is 5 (5!) years old and still nothing has come out to make me drop it.
I still have my Nexus 7 2012 working perfectly for websurfing with Brave and redditing with Relay the thing works perfectly, if you have one and it's slowing down all you need to do is daily use Trimmer(fstrim) and it'll make the thing snappy as new.
Jun 17, 2003
803 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered on late Saturday night, was here before noon on Monday!
Nice little tablet, downgrade in screen quality from my old Nook HD+ (which, at 8.9", may have been the perfect size), but a big upgrade in terms of snappiness/usability.
Not too hard to get Google Play Store and launcherhijack running.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)