Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Amazon Prime now giving 20% off Video Game Preorders.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 16th, 2017 4:32 am
May 8, 2013
131 posts
126 upvotes
Windsor

[Amazon.ca] Amazon Prime now giving 20% off Video Game Preorders.

Just looked at a few of my preorders 20 minutes ago and noticed a new prime trial which also shocked me to see that video game preorders now get 20% off listing price.

You must have either a trial or an actual prime membership when placing the order and when the order ships to get the 20% off.
474 replies
Dec 8, 2009
243 posts
114 upvotes
That's almost a game changer for me... Almost because at the absurd prices games are at right now 20% off upfront just isn't good enough of a savings for anything but stuff that's so niche that won't get a discount later (Or at least for a lot longer time then most triple A stuff)

Saving enough to outweigh the cost is also pretty tough for someone on a tight budget. I guess this does mean that our annual e3 deal for preorders is officially deader then dead now and we aren't likely to get anything for cyber monday either. Bullocks
May 25, 2009
481 posts
303 upvotes
Langley, BC
Pretty hot because it applies to collector's edition. I wonder if it applies to preorder made months ago?
Aug 29, 2009
669 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
Peacenutman wrote: Pretty hot because it applies to collector's edition. I wonder if it applies to preorder made months ago?
Wondering this as well. Price hasn't changed with my e3 preorders, might have to use chat to have it adjusted?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3470 posts
728 upvotes
GTA
If this stacks with previous offers it would be scolding hot. I still have a couple e3 30% off game pre orders. So has anyone tried adjusting?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4747 upvotes
Montreal
It's not supposed to stack according to terms.

The 20% discount applies to an items List Price and does not apply to an items already discounted price.
VirginPlus / Stickermule / HP Instant Ink
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1366 posts
1350 upvotes
London, ON
Amazon.com Prime has a post-release window (2 weeks?) for the 20% off. Looks like Amazon.ca might as well. I don't have Prime, but the same banner appears on the Forza Horizon 3 page, which came out this week.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GUBE0MG/

Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse also has it, which came out Tuesday last week.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01EAIWW6M/

NHL 17 does not; it came out 17 days ago.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01GKCLB5O/
May 31, 2015
157 posts
156 upvotes
AB
Hit or miss, I re-ordered Persona 5 Collector's edition and the prime discount applied (no E3 discount on collector on old order). I tried FFXII Zodiac Age and got nothing, same thing for Detroit: Becoming Human...

I noticed both FFXII & Detroit didn't have an estimated release date and only says "This item has not yet been released." whereas games where the Prime discount showed up had a release date or a placeholder date eg) December 31, 2017.
Apr 12, 2015
759 posts
900 upvotes
Alberta
Canceled COD:IW standard edition from my e3 preorder and ordered the LE (IW + MW), also preordered dishonored 2.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2103 posts
1719 upvotes
Vancouver
This is huge. No point pre-ordering from anywhere else unless they have a really attractive pre order bonus. I know we shouldn't support pre ordering games, but 20% is pretty good if you plan to buy the game regardless
Oct 6, 2010
459 posts
288 upvotes
London
This is awesome, especially since it applies to Collector's Editions! Nice to see us finally getting some more Prime benefits that the US gets.

Shame the Horizon Zero Dawn CE is unavailable, would love to reorder with this discount.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
2557 posts
494 upvotes
Thornhill
Thanks OP, this just might make it worth it for Prime now, I do frequently order stuff on Amazon, but being in Toronto, I usually receive all my shipments from them within 2 days anyway. Oh well, going to give it a shot for this year to see if it's worth it in the end (my free trial is available again too.... so 13 months in total I guess for the first year).
Nov 30, 2014
57 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Can I just apply for the free trial, make a bunch of preorders and cancel the trial before I get charged? Will the 20% off still apply?
Apr 12, 2015
759 posts
900 upvotes
Alberta
twistedtxb wrote: Can I just apply for the free trial, make a bunch of preorders and cancel the trial before I get charged? Will the 20% off still apply?
No.

"Customer must have an active free trial or paid Prime subscription at the time of placing an order and the time of shipment to receive offer."
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3204 posts
1376 upvotes
Quebec
Here's my math tell me if i 'm wrong (don't wanna sign up for no reason) Please note that i am using Quebec taxes which is about 15%

Buying a 79.99 game at any retailer (including amazon with free shipping) Game is about 92.38$ with taxes
Buying a 79.99 game at Amazon with the 20% should bring the game to 73.90 with taxes (79.99-20%) + taxes

Which means that in that scenario you save about 18.48$ per game (with taxes)

Prime in Quebec is about 91$ per year, so if you only buy video games, you need 5 games to equal the price of prime (with the saved money) Which means you need to buy minimum 6 video games at 89.99 per year to start saving money.

Did i forget something?

Also Exept video games (Accessories, games consoles amiibo etc) what else on amazon.ca count as pre order?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1474 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
I pre ordered Pokemon on Wednesday, will I have to cancel and re order or does it automatically update ?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3204 posts
1376 upvotes
Quebec
skidragoon wrote: I pre ordered Pokemon on Wednesday, will I have to cancel and re order or does it automatically update ?

On phone with them, you'd have to reorder

Trying to complain because I have FFXV at 49$ and i want to assign prime shipping to it and they are trying to force me to reorder it (at 79.99 -20%)
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3204 posts
1376 upvotes
Quebec
Woot was able to buy prime and call amazon.ca to remove the shipping fees

Now have FFXV for 57$ with taxes and free 2 days shipping :)

Also reordered KH 2.8, KH3 and FFVII with the deal :)

Sasdly atm FFXII doesn't make the deal
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7112 posts
472 upvotes
Oakville
ratatapa wrote: Here's my math tell me if i 'm wrong (don't wanna sign up for no reason) Please note that i am using Quebec taxes which is about 15%

Buying a 79.99 game at any retailer (including amazon with free shipping) Game is about 92.38$ with taxes
Buying a 79.99 game at Amazon with the 20% should bring the game to 73.90 with taxes (79.99-20%) + taxes

Prime in Quebec is about 91$ per year, so if you only buy video games, you need 5 games to equal the price of prime (with the saved money) Which means you need to buy minimum 6 video games at 89.99 per year to start saving money.

Did i forget something?

Also Exept video games (Accessories, games consoles amiibo etc) what else on amazon.ca count as pre order?
If all you do is preorder games then it's not worth it. This is added incentive to those of us that may use Amazon to sign up for Prime. Knowing that they have the E3 promo every year it's still hard to say yes to 80-90 bucks for Prime IMO.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
3204 posts
1376 upvotes
Quebec
Canadianpsycho wrote:
ratatapa wrote: Here's my math tell me if i 'm wrong (don't wanna sign up for no reason) Please note that i am using Quebec taxes which is about 15%

Did i forget something?

If all you do is preorder games then it's not worth it. This is added incentive to those of us that may use Amazon to sign up for Prime. Knowing that they have the E3 promo every year it's still hard to say yes to 80-90 bucks for Prime IMO.

Nah if my math is good then it's still worth it, I just prodered 5 games that are not in the E3 deals so i'm already saving money off my prime membership for this year, if needed i'll just cancel it next year :)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)