Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

AmazonBasics 32 Amp Level 2 EV Charging Station $514.38

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 1st, 2020 2:58 pm
Feb 23, 2008
886 posts
87 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: 18 foot cable, NEMA 4 rating. 1 year warranty.

I've been watching EV Charging stations for a while. This is the best price for a high quality UL certified (non sketchy) 32 amp charging station that I have seen. It is a rebranded LITE-ON, there is also a PowerCharge version of the same charger with a longer cable and 3 year warranty on Amazon for $600. This one dropped from $600 yesterday. Just ordered.
If I was in the market for one of these I would by the power charge version with longer warranty for minimal price difference
Jan 4, 2013
621 posts
239 upvotes
Piklishi wrote: How is that 16k rebates? Are those rebates still running for BC? If that I will buy a model 3.
Oops wrote the wrong number meant 14k (3+5+6).

ScrapIt doesn't go with Teslas but the all in price after rebates/taxes is 53k (slightly less than MSRP in Canada) when we got a quote from one of the dealers in December.
Jan 4, 2013
621 posts
239 upvotes
trader37 wrote: That's great but I guess I'm asking if I am entitled to use those carbon credits instead? What's the risk of going with ZabBC?
As far as I have read and though research I had done, us regular Joes can't benefit from carbon credits, only buisnesses are able too, we just pay our carbon taxes. Honestly you're just giving your charging data to ZapBC so they will know how much electricity you are using to charge your car a month, and thats about it. You need to be hooked up constantly for about 3 years I think it is then you can disconnect from their service once your "contract" is up.

It was the best way in my opinion unless you want to go the BCHydro route and go with another brand of charger (Flo/JuiceBox Pro would be my preference, they seem to be the best of the best from what I have read, and then EVDuty I almost got when I was going to go the BCHydro route because I had a lot of faith in the company the more I researched).
Mar 10, 2016
95 posts
40 upvotes
ValiantSpacemanSpiff wrote: I just did (again, I had read them before completing the rebate process). There is nothing requiring ownership of an EV and nothing about any minimums on charger usage. Also it only needs to be connected to the ZAPBC network for 3 years, not forever which I stated way earlier in this thread.
In the application it asks for for a VIN. So you will need to own a EV.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
ValiantSpacemanSpiff wrote: It plugs in to a NEMA 6-50 220V receptacle. Electrician installed it for me in my garage right next to the panel on a new 50amp circuit. The install cost me $400.
They are quoting me over 700... This is using the tool finder on zapbc website where I put my details and they send me a quote.

Ridiculous when all there really is is a 220v plug next to my electrical panel. I think I'll call my friend electrician see what he quotes (not sure what all this red seal certification is, but doesn't seem to affect the rebate, only that it will void the warranty).

To think that if I was in Europe, or in other 80% of world's country I wouldn't even need one of these... no electrician, no charging station. Just plug the EV like you do in a 110, except a 220v there giving you all the extra juice for level 2 charging.
Mar 22, 2008
46 posts
Does it mean the sub-panel uses 50A breaker? Or higher? Thx
Mar 14, 2017
236 posts
191 upvotes
Victoria, BC
gc99 wrote: Did that price include the electrical permit? (i.e ESA $89 fee if your in Ontario)
Yes. I'm in BC.
ValiantSpacemanSpiff
Interplanetary Explorer Extraordinaire
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
kobeca wrote: Does it mean the sub-panel uses 50A breaker? Or higher? Thx
You can use 50A but go with 100A for a sub panel if your main service is 200A.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
1363 posts
336 upvotes
Medicine Hat and SW …
divx wrote: You can use 50A but go with 100A for a sub panel if your main service is 200A.
Notwithstanding the potential for additional simultaneous high draw loads or expectations of future higher charge rates, this 32A charger would work fine with 40A service with a 40A breaker.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
divx wrote: You can use 50A but go with 100A for a sub panel if your main service is 200A.
Why? Sorry, but unless you are putting a ton of new loads on your sub panel I see NO reason to go to 100A on it.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1699 posts
1088 upvotes
repatch wrote: Why? Sorry, but unless you are putting a ton of new loads on your sub panel I see NO reason to go to 100A on it.
If you're gonna pass a wire, might as well pass the thicker one that can handle 100 amps. Future proofing.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
dgege wrote: If you're gonna pass a wire, might as well pass the thicker one that can handle 100 amps. Future proofing.
A 60A (48A continuous) wire is probably enough IMO.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11271 upvotes
dgege wrote: If you're gonna pass a wire, might as well pass the thicker one that can handle 100 amps. Future proofing.
Again, why? How many people add circuits to their home? Plus, if you're going to do that, you'd probably get a 100amp sub panel, which is more expensive.

I just don't see it. People can do what they want with their money, but unless you TRULY see a need for adding a ton of circuits (100amp is ALOT, many houses only have 100amp service FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE), I see it as a waste of money.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2008
1699 posts
1088 upvotes
repatch wrote: Again, why? How many people add circuits to their home? Plus, if you're going to do that, you'd probably get a 100amp sub panel, which is more expensive.

I just don't see it. People can do what they want with their money, but unless you TRULY see a need for adding a ton of circuits (100amp is ALOT, many houses only have 100amp service FOR THE WHOLE HOUSE), I see it as a waste of money.
Because in 4 years you might get a car that can take advantage of the extra amperage. Or get a second car if you have a double garage. Do you want to have to redo the work?

Yes, it's more expensive. But not that much more compared to having to redo it.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2312 posts
907 upvotes
Montreal
My installation is a 60A 6AWG going from the main panel to a subpanel in the garage.
Then a NEMA6-50 outlet on a 40A circuit to plug the EVSE.
The subpanel is there so other outlets could be added in the garage if I wanted.

For most people a simple 40A feed to the EVSE is just fine. Charging faster than 7.2kW/h is not necessary (car will be charged during the night anyways) in most cases and is the maximum the onboard chargers in most cars accept.

I have no experience with the Amazon EVSE, but I'm pleased with my EVDuty.
There's also a new cheaper model made in Ontario, the Grizzl-e : https://www.grizzl-e.com/products/grizzle_ca/. Can supply up to 10kW of power.
Images
  • IMG_20190516_172302353 (1).jpg
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
dgege wrote: Because in 4 years you might get a car that can take advantage of the extra amperage. Or get a second car if you have a double garage. Do you want to have to redo the work?

Yes, it's more expensive. But not that much more compared to having to redo it.
Tesla just downgraded the new revision of their wall connector to be 48A maximum supply. Pretty sure that going larger than 48A continuous (60A wire) is a waste.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Feb 26th, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 14, 2017
236 posts
191 upvotes
Victoria, BC
naccog wrote: In the application it asks for for a VIN. So you will need to own a EV.
I've addressed that in previous comments. They ask for a VIN. They do not ask for proof of ownership, nor do their policies indicate that you must own an EV.
ValiantSpacemanSpiff
Mar 14, 2017
236 posts
191 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Messerschmitt wrote: They are quoting me over 700... This is using the tool finder on zapbc website where I put my details and they send me a quote.

Ridiculous when all there really is is a 220v plug next to my electrical panel. I think I'll call my friend electrician see what he quotes (not sure what all this red seal certification is, but doesn't seem to affect the rebate, only that it will void the warranty).

To think that if I was in Europe, or in other 80% of world's country I wouldn't even need one of these... no electrician, no charging station. Just plug the EV like you do in a 110, except a 220v there giving you all the extra juice for level 2 charging.
Yeah, the electrician I went with is a small, one-man outfit. Had good reviews and did good work though, and fully qualified. The larger electrical contractors were quoting me $200-$300 more than what I paid.

Having a permit and a qualified electrician won't impact the rebate, but it will absolutely impact your home insurance. That was my main consideration.
ValiantSpacemanSpiff
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
repatch wrote: Why? Sorry, but unless you are putting a ton of new loads on your sub panel I see NO reason to go to 100A on it.
Not for you.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
AMD wrote: My installation is a 60A 6AWG going from the main panel to a subpanel in the garage.
Then a NEMA6-50 outlet on a 40A circuit to plug the EVSE.
The subpanel is there so other outlets could be added in the garage if I wanted.

For most people a simple 40A feed to the EVSE is just fine. Charging faster than 7.2kW/h is not necessary (car will be charged during the night anyways) in most cases and is the maximum the onboard chargers in most cars accept.

I have no experience with the Amazon EVSE, but I'm pleased with my EVDuty.
There's also a new cheaper model made in Ontario, the Grizzl-e : https://www.grizzl-e.com/products/grizzle_ca/. Can supply up to 10kW of power.
Not sure if it is the photo but your installation looks slanted, how is the charger secured to the plywood backboard? Wood screws?