Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Android on TV box, shipped directly from Amazon Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2018 12:53 am
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Emporium wrote: YES.. but if you have a choice which is more flexible, why fall into their trap. I hate "most" things that are "all-in-one" since if one piece fails you are stuck. if they are separate, you just swap out the defective portion and you typically have more choices.
I agree with you that it is technically better to keep the media player and screen separate, since media players usually require more frequent updates. In addition, the support given to Smart aspects of a TV is not great. I wish all TV’s were simply screens, but unfortunately it is hard to find a TV that isn’t smart! I recently purchased a Sony TV which has Android TV as its smart component. Not bad actually and quite adequate for many/most users. Not as nice as a Shield TV player, nor the Apple TV 4(K), but the Sony is very useable in Smart mode. Choosing Android TV was a good choice in my opinion. It will be supported. I assume TV’s with a Roku, or even a Fire TV, base will also be well supposed. My older ( not that old) LG had terrible smart TV support.

The one caveat in all of this is that you have to be careful when it comes to support for Canada. The Apple TV is pretty darned good but Android TV seems to be lagging for some reason. The rest are probably more of a pain than anything unless you go the vpn, etc... route.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
I wish that amazon can release a better version of fire tv stick or fire tv in Canada, because it is guaranteed that users will have consistent updates and with all kind of services supported, for YouTube you can sideload smart YouTube apk if you don’t want to use silk or Firefox browsers.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
pmcd wrote: I agree with you that it is technically better to keep the media player and screen separate, since media players usually require more frequent updates. In addition, the support given to Smart aspects of a TV is not great. I wish all TV’s were simply screens, but unfortunately it is hard to find a TV that isn’t smart! I recently purchased a Sony TV which has Android TV as its smart component. Not bad actually and quite adequate for many/most users. Not as nice as a Shield TV player, nor the Apple TV 4(K), but the Sony is very useable in Smart mode. Choosing Android TV was a good choice in my opinion. It will be supported. I assume TV’s with a Roku, or even a Fire TV, base will also be well supposed. My older ( not that old) LG had terrible smart TV support.

The one caveat in all of this is that you have to be careful when it comes to support for Canada. The Apple TV is pretty darned good but Android TV seems to be lagging for some reason. The rest are probably more of a pain than anything unless you go the vpn, etc... route.
If you're speaking of the MIBOX3, I feel that it's purposely not updated to Nougat and beyond as most Chinese Android TV apps don't play well beyond Marshmellow (6.0).
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2003
1508 posts
706 upvotes
Toronto
warzouing wrote: I bought this box "M9C MAX" installed with Android 6, December last year. It was so so until last week when I have decided to upgrade the box to 7.1.2, It's not trivial but I have used the ROM named "NEXBOX A95X_S905X_7.1_qca9377_16g2g_20112017". Now on boot up, you will see as logo "NEXBOX A95X" and it is running Android 7.1.2. I have installed Kodi 17.6 after that and everything is running perfectly fine now. Most of the time, you might have issue with wifi as depending on vendor you might get a box with a particular chipset. Luckily the ROM that I have mentioned above did support the wifi chipset on that "M9C MAX". If you are a little bit techie and not afraid of flashing ROM, this box under 50 $CDN is very well worth it.
I have the same box - going to try and load this update.... did you just google to find the file? Also, is there away to back up the old image just in case?

I don't mind the 6.0 version but it won't update Google Play which is a pain....

Thanks!
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!
Walmart U.S. AT&T Group deal (kinda yay) + *NEW* Koodo 30GB for $25 4G LTE
Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
warzouing wrote: For your information, I'm having the following 3 boxes all running Android 7.1.2 :
Tanix TX3 Mini : S905W
M9C MAX : S905X
SAMMIX R95S : S905X
I have flashed the last 2 with a 7.1.2 firmware version from NEXBOX A95X which supports WIFI for M9C MAX but not the SAMMIX R95S. I'm still very skeptical with the ads from Norbi which say that the X95R1 is a S905X. Sometimes you can have S905X 2GB/16GB boxes ranging from 40 to 50 $CDN but lower than that I have never seen even from China.
The last reference sdk I remember was for the s905x was 6.0. for s905 it was 5.1. If you find a firmware its mostly stripped from another supported brand who did their own compile pulled from like nexus,xiaomi etc.

the sammix came with either memo-hi or more recent versions were 6.0 and just try to find the stock sammix android 6.0 firmware if you were needing to reflash it? good luck with that. If you find it post the firmware link.

Now would you waste the 30 on this or invest it toward this: 1,2-4gb of ram, usb 3 and gigabit
https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=7147
you can run android 7 to linux, openmediavault or libreelec kodi, plex server etc heck with 4gb a desktop pc. Have gigabit and a usb 3.0 port and it could run as a mediaplayer and a nas for your whole network.
Jun 26, 2009
813 posts
387 upvotes
Calgary
I bought this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0774T ... UTF8&psc=1 for $40 (2GB/16GB) and this one works well for me however when hooked with network cable. 4K streams work great too. (gotta use VLC player).

Anyone who's bashing cheap Android tv boxes, haven't used a good one i'd say. There are cheap slow ones and there are good deals that you get for cheap.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: If you're speaking of the MIBOX3, I feel that it's purposely not updated to Nougat and beyond as most Chinese Android TV apps don't play well beyond Marshmellow (6.0).
No, I was speaking about the streaming apps available to Android TV if you live in Canada. CBC TV, Fibe TV, etc... are all available for the Apple TV but not for Android TV, at least not on my Shield TV, nor on my Sony TV.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
rui wrote: I wish that amazon can release a better version of fire tv stick or fire tv in Canada, because it is guaranteed that users will have consistent updates and with all kind of services supported, for YouTube you can sideload smart YouTube apk if you don’t want to use silk or Firefox browsers.
All in good time. They just started supporting Canada. For now the Apple TV and, to a lesser extent, Android TV are really the only well supported platforms for this country. Roku would also be fine except that it doesn’t have the backing the latter have. It all depends what you want. If Kodi is all you want then there are all kind of options.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4993 posts
6154 upvotes
pmcd wrote: No, I was speaking about the streaming apps available to Android TV if you live in Canada. CBC TV, Fibe TV, etc... are all available for the Apple TV but not for Android TV, at least not on my Shield TV, nor on my Sony TV.
I think that has more to do with the app publishers not willing to adopt rather than the fault of Android TV itself. The same can be said for iOS and Android OS as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5582 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
tabishz wrote: I bought this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0774T ... UTF8&psc=1 for $40 (2GB/16GB) and this one works well for me however when hooked with network cable. 4K streams work great too. (gotta use VLC player).

Anyone who's bashing cheap Android tv boxes, haven't used a good one i'd say. There are cheap slow ones and there are good deals that you get for cheap.
The most of this bashing they [always, here and in similar threads] are doing is to self-justify investing way more $$$ in Shields and miboxes... Pricey but hey, it's trendy and branded!!! Great majority never even owned one of these "cheap boxes" and, consequently, have no idea what they are talking about...

Just for a reference - before I get flamed - yes, I have a Shield as well as 2 of these cheap boxes [Sammix R 95S and Tronsmart] with zero issues. Heck, Tronsmart Air Mouse + Keyboard thingy I have is amazing as well...

But do I have to listen to these guys and throw my boxes in the garbage to get another pair of Shields for my bedrooms?? Heck, no!!

So, as I said: just go away and let us suffer with our cheap Chinese junk...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4639 posts
799 upvotes
Toronto
pmcd wrote: All in good time. They just started supporting Canada. For now the Apple TV and, to a lesser extent, Android TV are really the only well supported platforms for this country. Roku would also be fine except that it doesn’t have the backing the latter have. It all depends what you want. If Kodi is all you want then there are all kind of options.
I don’t use kodi, but I use IPTV, that’s reason why I returned my Roku streaming tv stick as it doesn’t support app like stbemu, I have Nvidia shield tv and fire tv stick 2nd gen, the only complaint is I need to side load Canadian version of prime video in order to enjoy my amazon prime membership, and it takes couple steps to open it. I missed $35 fire tv basic edition last month, but now I want a better one at least support 4K.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
AsianXL wrote: I think that has more to do with the app publishers not willing to adopt rather than the fault of Android TV itself. The same can be said for iOS and Android OS as well.
IOS and Android are very well supported in Canada. If you use Android then casting is an option. Airplay for iOS. I agree it is probably the publishers, but what's the point of a media player with no support?
Unless you want Kodi then the Apple TV is probably the best player for Canada, but like the excellent Shield TV it is not inexpensive. Depending on what Kodi is used for MrMC might be a good substitute. Available on most platforms, support for iptv, has the top developers backing it, etc...

Kodi is having trouble now because of user AddOns. The only developer of SPMC just jumped over to MrMC. This does not leave a whole lot of people left to support Kodi on all the inexpensive Android boxes.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
pmcd wrote: IOS and Android are very well supported in Canada. If you use Android then casting is an option. Airplay for iOS. I agree it is probably the publishers, but what's the point of a media player with no support?
Unless you want Kodi then the Apple TV is probably the best player for Canada, but like the excellent Shield TV it is not inexpensive. Depending on what Kodi is used for MrMC might be a good substitute. Available on most platforms, support for iptv, has the top developers backing it, etc...

Kodi is having trouble now because of user AddOns. The only developer of SPMC just jumped over to MrMC. This does not leave a whole lot of people left to support Kodi on all the inexpensive Android boxes.
Agree. Writing is on the wall... It is matter that copyright owners will crack down on the websites which steaming files.

Kodi addons are just the front end interface to access the steaming sites. When the Canadian cable providers shutdown tvaddon website in Qc, lots of addons developers were stopped updating their addons. Addons developers need to update their addons when the steaming website changes. Therefore, most of the popular addons are not working any more.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Aug 29, 2010
180 posts
410 upvotes
Quebec
lead wrote: The last reference sdk I remember was for the s905x was 6.0. for s905 it was 5.1. If you find a firmware its mostly stripped from another supported brand who did their own compile pulled from like nexus,xiaomi etc.

the sammix came with either memo-hi or more recent versions were 6.0 and just try to find the stock sammix android 6.0 firmware if you were needing to reflash it? good luck with that. If you find it post the firmware link.

Now would you waste the 30 on this or invest it toward this: 1,2-4gb of ram, usb 3 and gigabit
https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=7147
you can run android 7 to linux, openmediavault or libreelec kodi, plex server etc heck with 4gb a desktop pc. Have gigabit and a usb 3.0 port and it could run as a mediaplayer and a nas for your whole network.
Those 2 boxes are really good and fast with Android 7.1.2. As for the SAMMIX R95S which can not connect via Wifi with the 7.1.2 ROM, I have connected it directly to a switch and go Wired with it to enjoy Android 7.1.2 with which I can have split screen mode. As for the Pine64 board, I will read more about it to see how well it is supported. Right now I see the price as 45 $US for a 4GB model.
Oct 24, 2004
829 posts
192 upvotes
pmcd wrote: IOS and Android are very well supported in Canada. If you use Android then casting is an option. Airplay for iOS. I agree it is probably the publishers, but what's the point of a media player with no support?

I agree the Apple TV 4 or 4K is the best with a smart DNS. It’s a whole new world with ligit quality viewing and affordable pricing.
Aug 17, 2006
527 posts
195 upvotes
Richmond, BC
tabishz wrote: I bought this one https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0774T ... UTF8&psc=1 for $40 (2GB/16GB) and this one works well for me however when hooked with network cable. 4K streams work great too. (gotta use VLC player).

Where did you find it for $40?
Aug 29, 2010
180 posts
410 upvotes
Quebec
Just google with the exact term "NEXBOX A95X_S905X_7.1_qca9377_16g2g_20112017" and you will find the download link from chinagadgetsreview.com. Do not use the latest USB_Burning_Tool, I have used 2.0.5.15. For some strange reason, the steps I used to follow for other box did not work with this one so following are the steps I did this time on my PC.
- do not connect anything to your box (no power, no usb cable)
- start USB_Burning_tool on your PC
- select English on 2nd menu tab
- select File, Import image and choose the ROM you have downloaded
- Click on Start, then connect a "USB-Type A to USB-Type A" cable
- The burning should start right after that
That was the same procedure I have used for my 2 boxes. They both work fine except the SAMMIX R95S which does not recognize Wifi.
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
pmcd wrote: No, I was speaking about the streaming apps available to Android TV if you live in Canada. CBC TV, Fibe TV, etc... are all available for the Apple TV but not for Android TV, at least not on my Shield TV, nor on my Sony TV.
Paying cable customers should simply keep nagging to their cable providers about it, it doesn't take much for a quick and dirty port from Android to AndroidTV (aside from making sure the UI is remote friendly). BTW, as is, some will work when side loaded (on AndroidTV devices that support mouse), remember CTV Go and CityTV Go both worked (with a mouse).
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
digdeep wrote: Where did you find it for $40?
Add to cart, sign in if required, then apply coupon code 4NWEECIL for 30% off. It's $42, pretty close to $40, after the coupon.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo

Fakespot rating of the amazon reviews for this product is:
D
Our analysis detected
47.1%
low quality reviews
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep