[Amazon Canada] The Art of War by Sun Tzu (Hardcover, 544 pages) $9.47

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2018 11:58 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2018
9 posts
15 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] The Art of War by Sun Tzu (Hardcover, 544 pages) $9.47

Nice hardcover copy for any first year philosophy student heading off to university, or maybe just to add to your book collection.

edit: Free shipping, but takes 3 - 5 weeks.

edit 2: Seems to be dead. Back up to $17.47. Paperback version still available @ $7.44.
Last edited by essjayess on Aug 11th, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1263 posts
662 upvotes
Montreal
Another round of famous names from the past: Can you guess whether each is real or fictional?

Sun Tzu
Ancient war strategist

Fictional. Traditionally he was the author of The Art of War, and although historians are split nearly 50/50 over whether he actually existed, the absence of evidence (while not evidence of absence) makes as strong a case that he didn't exist as the missing evidence of Moses makes for his. While tradition tells us that he was a great military leader and government official, no actual records exist that name him, and detailed accounts of the battles attributed to him make no mention of his name. Most likely the book was a compilation of military theories from many men over many centuries — and this conclusion really upsets many of his Western followers.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4618
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1821 posts
1250 upvotes
Do people still buy physical books? I downloaded the Art of War from Amazon when a helpful RFDer pointed out that a large number of classic books were available for free. I can't imagine why I'd want to fill my house full of paper books (remember the 1990s when you had 4 or 5 book cases full of books as well as hundreds of CDs?) I much prefer my e-reader, especially with free books!
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29522 posts
1101 upvotes
Fernando Po
Kind of a rip off given that they're not paying royalties to Tzu.
Jun 25, 2011
29 posts
2 upvotes
NORTH YORK
FrancisBacon wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 5:23 pm
Another round of famous names from the past: Can you guess whether each is real or fictional?

Sun Tzu
Ancient war strategist

Fictional. Traditionally he was the author of The Art of War, and although historians are split nearly 50/50 over whether he actually existed, the absence of evidence (while not evidence of absence) makes as strong a case that he didn't exist as the missing evidence of Moses makes for his. While tradition tells us that he was a great military leader and government official, no actual records exist that name him, and detailed accounts of the battles attributed to him make no mention of his name. Most likely the book was a compilation of military theories from many men over many centuries — and this conclusion really upsets many of his Western followers.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4618
Sun Tzu was mentioned in the records written by Sima Qian
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
1263 posts
662 upvotes
Montreal
chengda85 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 7:13 pm
Sun Tzu was mentioned in the records written by Sima Qian
I'm not familiar with this person. I encourage you to submit this comment to skeptoid.
Jan 26, 2018
312 posts
155 upvotes
kneevase wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 5:23 pm
Do people still buy physical books? I downloaded the Art of War from Amazon when a helpful RFDer pointed out that a large number of classic books were available for free. I can't imagine why I'd want to fill my house full of paper books (remember the 1990s when you had 4 or 5 book cases full of books as well as hundreds of CDs?) I much prefer my e-reader, especially with free books!
Well, that's a good way to decorate one large section of wall.
Nov 13, 2003
114 posts
16 upvotes
New Market
Definitely worthwhile picking up and reading. It's an interesting book about mass strategy.

If you want a more one-on-one strategy book, The Book of Five Rings is good.

If you want to learn how to be a dick, read The Prince.
Why do they tell you to get on the plane? **** that! Let Eivel Knievel get ON the Plane, I'm getting IN the plane!

George Carlin
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2005
3956 posts
671 upvotes
Kitchener
I would've bought this... If I had prime.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Jul 28, 2005
563 posts
33 upvotes
Mississauga
essjayess wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 4:39 pm
Nice hardcover copy for any first year philosophy student heading off to university, or maybe just to add to your book collection.

edit: Free shipping, but takes 3 - 5 weeks.

edit 2: Seems to be dead. Back up to $17.47. Paperback version still available @ $7.44.
Frack! I was at Indigo/Chapters looking for this today around the time this deal was posted and was on my Amazon app looking up the book & this didn't pop up.
Why are there so many versions of The Art of War by Sun Tzu!? I'm looking for an all encompassing version.
Picked up 3 different versions to decide which to keep.
Suggestions are encouraged/welcomed
For quicker correspondence contact: molexir@gmail.com
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
5797 posts
1747 upvotes
North York
molexir wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 10:44 pm
Why are there so many versions of The Art of War by Sun Tzu!? I'm looking for an all encompassing version.
Picked up 3 different versions to decide which to keep.
There's only one text, but the commentaries and interpretations are different.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2018
1791 posts
1548 upvotes
The Art of War is like the Bible, many historical figures inspire the content, but there are some good lessons in there.

It's definitely worth a read along with the works of Carl Jung. Pre-SJW psychology provides some excellent insights into human behavior.

If you're so inclined, visiting a used book store is a healthy habit, many cheap gems.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)