Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Asus F512DA-EB51 VivoBook F512 15.6" Laptop 1080p Ryzen R5-3500U FHD/8GB DDR4 ram/256GB PCIe SSD $529

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2019 5:34 pm
Aug 5, 2005
443 posts
233 upvotes
I have had 2 Asus laptops never again though. Finding parts later on is a nightmare, no thanks on them. They might make good MB but other then that I wouldn't bother with them.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
[OP]
Mar 26, 2012
974 posts
557 upvotes
voucher21 wrote: I saw this laptop in person and the screen was really bad, the viewing angles were terrible.

Specs and price is great, screen not so good imo.
I hope you're not right and its a different model, but we'll see. IPS screens are generally not bad
May 12, 2011
323 posts
302 upvotes
Calgary
superbigjay wrote: How does it compare to the Acer that was also at same price during PD?

Better, worst or equal?
Acer should be better as it has bigger battery, IPS screen (according to review), i5 is much more faster than R5 in regular tasks...
Nov 20, 2017
367 posts
516 upvotes
Pavel wrote: IDK, but my 8 year old budget HP laptop has 6 GB of RAM. This Acer has a meager 8 GB. Am I missing something as to why this a good deal?
Need more info for comparison than just RAM size. RAM and the hard drive(s) are the easiest components to replace.
Aug 8, 2010
207 posts
120 upvotes
Quebec
Reading the comments, you would swear we're talking about something way more expensive.. This was a 530$ laptop.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1525 posts
670 upvotes
Quebec
Depends on your usage. My secondary computer, an old Core 2 Duo with 2GB of RAM, is still plenty fast for Office tasks and browsing. All it needed is a SSD.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4068 posts
2069 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
Pavel wrote: IDK, but my 8 year old budget HP laptop has 6 GB of RAM. This Acer has a meager 8 GB. Am I missing something as to why this a good deal?
If you're not gaming or video editing, 8 gb is well enough for laptop work.
Apr 10, 2015
9 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
I just got the Vivibook 14 two days ago. The screen hurts my eyes so bad I had to return it now even thought the other specs are acceptable. I got it for $400 tax in.
Nov 20, 2017
367 posts
516 upvotes
Pavel wrote: You might be overthinking things. Replacing components is moot at the moment.

The old rule applies, or it did in the past, RAM size should double about every year on PCs. Unless there's been a breakthrough in RAM and processing technology, we should be seeing at a minimum 24 GB of RAM in Windows Systems these days. Here's a good article on how much RAM you need, but for me, I tend to be more of a power user and 16 GB doesn't seem like it will cut it these days.

My old HP still runs but it's slow, the hard drive is 500 GB.
Moore's law? It's every 2 - 2.5 years now (slowed since sometime after 2010), and that's more useful for R&D than judging budget computer prices. You can still buy laptops with 1-2 GB RAM and tiny hard drives if you want.