Cell Phones

ASUS Zenfone3 Laser 5.5" Unlocked Smartphone, 32GB, Android 6.0 = $249

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2017 7:00 pm
Mar 17, 2009
262 posts
40 upvotes
I bought this. Updates immediately to Nougat 7.0. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. A FHD display? Nice. I think it's comical people scoffing at a $249 smartphone. Go ahead and support no name whatever phones that offer the world. Asus knows how to design nice looking hardware that's for sure. It's better to read what owners of the phone say rather than some random misc nonsense about a phone they released 4 years ago or other shallow views. The Amazon.ca reviews say a lot. It's a #2 seller. People who bought it have a lot of good things to say about it. At $249, this is worthwhile. My advice is to by the Qosea clear case which is ultra thin but does offer at least some protection. You can always find some junk for cheaper prices no matter what kind of product you're talking about. Always keep that in mind.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
4679 posts
1350 upvotes
Canada
Messerschmitt wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:58 pm
I have the Zenfone 3 64GB and I love it. But don't upgrade to their latest firmware. Heard a bunch of complaints on their asus forum. Still run the August 2016 update and it's working like a charm. Dual SIM is amazin, not sure if this comes with dual SIM too, but if it does, get it.
What complaints?

Have been running Nougat fine, also got another update recently I believe
Mar 17, 2009
262 posts
40 upvotes
I think Asus has been pretty darn careful on these updates. It's smart because getting a bad reputation in the smartphone industry is the kiss of death. That said, have you read about Google and their rubbish Android updates and breaking their phones? If the Android guys themselves can screw up royally then anyone can. I've used three of the Zenfone 3 models and all are very impressive in their own right.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2008
7515 posts
1296 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:24 am
What complaints?

Have been running Nougat fine, also got another update recently I believe
Mostly mobile wifi and tethering but a few others especially with Nougat 7.0. I too had tethering problems when I initially bought it and updated, so I returned it and got a new one that used an older version. Kept it that way and never updated. Sometimes it starts shoving down my throat the update but I learned how to activate the kill switch and update doesn't happen.
Nov 24, 2012
342 posts
183 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
I've been running a ZenFone 2 Laser (two actually) for the better part of a year, both on CM13->14.1->Lineage OS. They're great devices; obviously not "flagship" quality but they will last us quite nicely for several years and we can buy at least three devices in this price class for what it would cost for a high-end phone. I'm quite interested in the ZF3 Laser for our teens later this year to replace their Moto G2 phones. My only hesitation with the ZF3 is that there's no support from Lineage OS yet.
Jan 7, 2005
655 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Zenfone 3 are really good phones, but this "Laser" variant is not fast enough for power users. It could be fine for basic usage. I bought it, and ended up returning it and got a higher spec'ed regular Zenfone 3 (SD625, 4GB RAM) instead. The faster model is selling for $399 now and it is worth the extra cost. I got it for $349.99 but that deal is not currently available anywhere.
May 8, 2017
36 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
I bought the 3 laser from Staple last Christmas for my daughter. In Feb this year it started rebooting itself. In early March it would shut down and she had to manually turned it back on. In mid March it was completely dead.
I got the the RMA and dropped it off at their Markham office. It took them 3 days to have it "rebuild". Replaced the mother board and sub board. I was really disappointed that it died in less than 3 months.
I was going to get one for myself at first. After this experience I don't think so.
Maybe we were lucky to get a lemon. Nonetheless just my experience. YMMV
Mar 24, 2015
113 posts
37 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
ChippewaBarr wrote:
May 16th, 2017 10:38 pm
I swear my only posts on RFD are about this phone but here goes...!

I have the Lenovo Zuk Z2 and it's got a SD820 and an Adreno 530 with 4GB RAM and I've been super impressed with it. Also you can get it as low as $230CAD

Great looking phone, but the lack of Rogers LTE killed it for me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
6701 posts
491 upvotes
Waterloo
Also check kijiji u can get the 4gb ram pretty good prices
May 8, 2017
36 posts
2 upvotes
GTA
markust5775 wrote:
May 17th, 2017 6:55 am
Great looking phone, but the lack of Rogers LTE killed it for me.
You mean it won't work on Rogers LTE network?
Mar 24, 2015
113 posts
37 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Chow[i wrote:[/i]ard29 post_id=27797022 time=1495018703 user_id=1389710]
You mean it won't work on Rogers LTE network?

Not the Asus, the other phone mentioned. In the other thread somebody posted that it's missing the band that Rogers uses for LTE
Aug 24, 2010
631 posts
104 upvotes
Ehh i had a bad experience with asus.. had the zenfone 2. It had the most bloatware id ever seen in any phone and after a couple months of usage it would become absurdly laggy and freeze/crash. I bought a nexus 5 shortly after and all was well again.

Edit: I also had a bad experience with samsung (Galaxy S2 had a defect) but here i am 5 years later usimg the Galaxy S7 as my daily. Asus needs to just keep makimg solid phones and they'll slowly earn my trust back again.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
13110 posts
2963 upvotes
Toronto
calling all humans wrote:
May 17th, 2017 12:17 am
I bought this. Updates immediately to Nougat 7.0. Absolutely nothing wrong with this. A FHD display? Nice. I think it's comical people scoffing at a $249 smartphone. Go ahead and support no name whatever phones that offer the world. Asus knows how to design nice looking hardware that's for sure. It's better to read what owners of the phone say rather than some random misc nonsense about a phone they released 4 years ago or other shallow views. The Amazon.ca reviews say a lot. It's a #2 seller. People who bought it have a lot of good things to say about it. At $249, this is worthwhile. My advice is to by the Qosea clear case which is ultra thin but does offer at least some protection. You can always find some junk for cheaper prices no matter what kind of product you're talking about. Always keep that in mind.
Not scoffing at this phone. I paid this much for the zenfone 2 and at the time, I thought it was a super deal. Today, with prices coming down a bit as compared to 2 years ago, there are better options out there.

I don't believe for a minute that Asus has a monopoly on making good cell phones. Cell phone are going through a similar evolution as PCs. Back in the day, there was the IBM PC and the clones, with a major step change in quality/price. Over time, the average individual was able to buy parts and assemble computers at home. We are not there yet for phones. At this juncture, the manufacturers are all fully capable of sourcing parts and placing it in their uniquely design phone bodies.