Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] August EP650 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones; aptXLL, Multidevice, NFC ($57.95 - $5 - $10 = $42.95)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2020 12:00 am
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
248 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] August EP650 Bluetooth Over-Ear Headphones; aptXLL, Multidevice, NFC ($57.95 - $5 - $10 = $42.95)

Hey guys - I grabbed a Sennheiser Momentum 2 around a month ago that was posted here and was searching for a hard shell case. Came across a case from August (which fits the Senn M2 and 4.5 perfectly) and got chatting with the seller/manufacturer. I'm in the market for a pair of cans that I can rough around a bit more for when I don't want ANC and was offered a discount code for a pair of EP650s that was shareable.

Passes the initial sniff test on Fakespot (https://www.fakespot.com/product/august ... -etc-black) and reviewmeta (https://reviewmeta.com/amazon-ca/B00F54Y6GU)

Combined reviews online (ebay and YT posted below) were decent and fit my needs. There's no ANC, but has a nice seal to block out some noise, decently comfy per reviews and can connect to 2 devices at a time which was what I needed.

Per reviews, this pair definitely leans on the bass side and is lighter on mids and highs, but I don't mind as a pair of beaters and seems to beat out other chi-fi cans at this price point in terms of SQ. CCC has this price as the lowest in the past year, RFD searches show that it has gone for less during flash lightning sales, but those were seldom.

Discounts: $5 clippable on Amazon Canada then 650RED10D for a stackable $10 off at checkout. (Total $15 off).

EDIT: $5 clippable coupon on Amazon is currently gone, title edited to reflect this. Cheers to whoever got an order in. Code for $10 off is still valid though.
EDIT2: $5 clippable is back!
Last edited by animestan on Jan 19th, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
twitch.tv/squishyrollingpanda
14 replies
Aug 6, 2018
292 posts
1634 upvotes
I got a pair of EP640s from these guys for $29 a couple of Prime Days ago. The headphones are really, really good for the price, but they stopped charging after ~9 months. August sent me a replacement pair, but they starting cutting in and out after ~6 months, at which point August' customer service said I was SOL as the original 12-month warranty had expired. Not sure if I just had bad luck, but they didn't last long for me. Not sure if this upgraded version has the same issues with longevity, but that was my experience with the others.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
248 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
$5 clippable coupon is back up!
Feb 3, 2019
174 posts
114 upvotes
Damn, looks like this product has amazing reviews....14,000 of them.... already have enough headphones, but these look promising. Thanks OP
Smh
Nov 19, 2013
19 posts
5 upvotes
Ordered! Been looking for a decent bluetooth pair for under $100
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1595 posts
113 upvotes
Would these work for PC (with BT adapter)? Mostly gaming and videochat using a Blue Yeti mic.

Curious if aptX LL is anywhere close to bespoke 2.4ghz connections found in most gaming headsets.

edit: looks like the $5 clippable coupon is gone?
Apr 26, 2019
152 posts
144 upvotes
I've had a pair of these for about 4 years now, still going strong with no issues. Good as a backup option.
Jan 28, 2008
293 posts
82 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I had this pair last year, however, I didn't like the design, the comfort was not there for my ears, the quality seemed to be crappy.
Hope this helps!
Nov 19, 2013
19 posts
5 upvotes
Mine have arrived, I'll let you know in a few hours once they charge
Nov 19, 2013
19 posts
5 upvotes
errational wrote: Would these work for PC (with BT adapter)? Mostly gaming and videochat using a Blue Yeti mic.

Curious if aptX LL is anywhere close to bespoke 2.4ghz connections found in most gaming headsets.

edit: looks like the $5 clippable coupon is gone?
They work just fine with a bluetooth dongle, I am able to goto other rooms in the house without any interference
Jul 16, 2015
310 posts
127 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I got these headphones a while back and I will say that they are extremely durable. Worked on the shop floor and was able to listen to the headphones from close to 100m away from my desk.

They definitely emphasize bass but isn't too heavy. The mids aren't the greatest but what do you expect for $50.

My main concern is the stupid blinking light to indicate that it's on. You can't turn it off so don't try and use it beside a sleeping significant other while in the dark. It's the stupidest feature and to be fair, it's on many lower end headphones.

I also dislike the melody it plays when initially turning it on. it's so So loud that you shouldn't have them on your ears until it's already on. The high pitched sound is not necessary since you already have a constantly blinking light telling you it's on. Comical.

Anyways, 7 out of 10 cause I use it in the shop. Would give it 8.5 out of 10 if they removed the flashing on light and got rid of the beep when it turns on.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2006
3679 posts
179 upvotes
Montreal
Keep in mind aptX-LL is vaporware the way most people use it. the Low Latency part only works with a compatible hardware dongle. However, it's irrelevant on most phone apps because it will slow down the video to compensate for bluetooth latency. There's so much misinformation on this subject.

In short

AptX-LL fallsback to regular aptX unless you have a special dongle. ( I recommend this avantree one one because it supports USB Audio , no Toslink port required on your laptop
Low-Latency bluetooth is not required for most Smartphone video playback, which adjusts. Youtube definitely auto-adjusts adjusts, not sure about netflix. IN-browser video players will probably lag. Desktop/Laptop OS's are a crapchute as far as bluetooth stacks, who knows weather the video will compensate or not.
Regular non-LL AptX is still better than SBC for latency. It could be enough to match up with a monitor or TV that has high input lag.

aptX is not that much better than SBC @ 328kbps, but some devices auto-negotiate at some terrible SBC bitrate which aptX will prevent.
Heatware: 2-0-0
eBay: 69-0-0
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
5760 posts
208 upvotes
no good. wish BT heaphones would just have a freaking on off slide button instead of holding a button for x seconds.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
248 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
dwfLuid wrote: My main concern is the stupid blinking light to indicate that it's on. You can't turn it off so don't try and use it beside a sleeping significant other while in the dark. It's the stupidest feature and to be fair, it's on many lower end headphones.
It's quite a common "feature" on most lower end headphones. I tried a lower end ANC BT pair and the blinking for power on on the left earcup + constant green LED on the right cup was terrible. Almost looked like I was wearing a pair of sirens.

But for this pair, you can actually download the August app on Google Play or iOS and turn off the led (and also edit EQ). It didn't ask me for any special permissions, so I'm keeping the app.
wanhoopsdaad wrote: Overall good active noise cancelling bluetooth headphones.
Uh...these don't have active noise cancelling.