Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] August Smart Lock Pro + Connect, 3rd gen Technology - Dark Gray $279.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 9:37 am
[OP]
Nov 20, 2016
76 posts
14 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] August Smart Lock Pro + Connect, 3rd gen Technology - Dark Gray $279.99

Hi guys , first post here . Amazon currently has the august 3rd gen lock + connect for $279.99 . According to camel this is also the lowest price this year. Seems like a pretty good deal to me for those looking for an August lock .
Last edited by TomRFD on Oct 11th, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added price to title
33 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1675 posts
1128 upvotes
Canada
Dumb lock works better and more secure
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2266 posts
1225 upvotes
North York
I got this when it was on sale for $299.99.

Overall it works pretty well, the only issue I have with it is that the "Home Area" is quite large... I could be within a couple KM and it'll get ready to unlock the door even if Im just passing by the neighborhood. Other than that, it works quite well.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2835 posts
596 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
KiraSensei wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 1:58 pm

Overall it works pretty well, the only issue I have with it is that the "Home Area" is quite large... I could be within a couple KM and it'll get ready to unlock the door even if Im just passing by the neighborhood. Other than that, it works quite well.
I feel like you should look in to your settings as something doesn't seem right. Our locks never unlock even close to that far away. I wouldn't even say I've had an unlock from 100m away.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29193 posts
15024 upvotes
Ottawa
Redsanta wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 1:49 pm
Doesn't matter the lock type when kicking the door in.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
2835 posts
596 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
Redsanta wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 1:49 pm
Out of curiosity, how do you define "works better"?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1040 posts
173 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:29 pm
I feel like you should look in to your settings as something doesn't seem right. Our locks never unlock even close to that far away. I wouldn't even say I've had an unlock from 100m away.
The home area is supposed to be around 200m so there is definitely something wrong if you are getting unlocks a "couple KM" away. On Android (not sure about iOS) I do get a notification that Auto Unlock is active when I leave the home area, which I can deactivate if needed. Maybe that's what the other poster is talking about.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6184 posts
1178 upvotes
I love my August, and this is a great deal.
KiraSensei wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 1:58 pm

I believe it detects that you are in the area by geofencing so that it can be ready, then once you are actually near your lock, it further connects using wifi/bluetooth.

Mine has been working flawless, with the august keypad I don't even bring my keys out anymore. The best part is, no one knows you have a smartlock inside since it still takes the key on the outside.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2266 posts
1225 upvotes
North York
cy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:58 pm
I love my August, and this is a great deal.

I believe it detects that you are in the area by geofencing so that it can be ready, then once you are actually near your lock, it further connects using wifi/bluetooth.

Mine has been working flawless, with the august keypad I don't even bring my keys out anymore. The best part is, no one knows you have a smartlock inside since it still takes the key on the outside.
Yes thats correct but the range is so wide that it starts it up even if im just driving by the neighborhood not remotely close to my home. The fence feels like a couple KM rather than 1km or a couple hundred meters.

Wouldnt they know since you have the keypad?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
29193 posts
15024 upvotes
Ottawa
Nothing wrong with the lock, as that is an issue with geofencing in general.
Jul 31, 2015
346 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
FYI, you don't need a Connect hub if you have an Apple TV. The ATV will act as a HomeKit hub for your August Lock. Got one (2nd gen) for $165 on Amazon Prime Day. Definitely worth the money if you don't want to carry keys anymore. If the bolts included in the box don't fit (too short), then you can go to Home Depot can get ones that fit, in my case.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
6184 posts
1178 upvotes
KiraSensei wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 4:12 pm
Yes thats correct but the range is so wide that it starts it up even if im just driving by the neighborhood not remotely close to my home. The fence feels like a couple KM rather than 1km or a couple hundred meters.

Wouldnt they know since you have the keypad?
I hide my keypad, so if someone really come searching for it, it would have been caught by Nest hello already. Just like someone else has mentioned though, if they were to break in, no locks can really stop them.
turtlepower11 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 4:19 pm
FYI, you don't need a Connect hub if you have an Apple TV. The ATV will act as a HomeKit hub for your August Lock. Got one (2nd gen) for $165 on Amazon Prime Day. Definitely worth the money if you don't want to carry keys anymore. If the bolts included in the box don't fit (too short), then you can go to Home Depot can get ones that fit, in my case.
Agreed, but only if you use homekit right?
Feb 17, 2018
2 posts
turtlepower11 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 4:19 pm
Does using the ATV as a HomeKit still allow the same smart functions if your primary mobile device is an Android?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1255 posts
570 upvotes
Surrey
ChicoQuente wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:36 pm
Out of curiosity, how do you define "works better"?
- will never require a battery
- can only be compromised physically through force or lock picking
- more complicated system means more things can go wrong. Phone can have issues
- really how hard is turning a key and for any theft you already have security. It's called home insurance
0 tolerance for BS.