Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] August Smart Lock Pro + Connect, 3rd gen Technology - Dark Gray $279.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 22nd, 2018 9:37 am
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2266 posts
1225 upvotes
North York
grayhal wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 5:48 pm
- will never require a battery
- can only be compromised physically through force or lock picking
- more complicated system means more things can go wrong. Phone can have issues
- really how hard is turning a key and for any theft you already have security. It's called home insurance
Most people get this not for the security but for the convenience. Theres always a trade off for convenience.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1255 posts
570 upvotes
Surrey
KiraSensei wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 8:44 pm
Most people get this not for the security but for the convenience. Theres always a trade off for convenience.
Totally understand. I was just answering a very obvious question lol.

I have Vitamix for a blender. Do I need it? No. Do I want my smoothies to be the smoothest? Yes. Just gotta consider pros and cons for your personal need.
0 tolerance for BS.
Feb 19, 2009
341 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton
grayhal wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 5:48 pm
- will never require a battery
- can only be compromised physically through force or lock picking
- more complicated system means more things can go wrong. Phone can have issues
- really how hard is turning a key and for any theft you already have security. It's called home insurance
I think you've played too much Watch Dogs.
The nice thing about this lock (which clearly you didn't look at before crapping on) is your keys still work, and nobody knows you have it except you and the people you let in your home.
It actually overcomes the biggest security issue with "dumb" locks, which is helping you make sure you keep your door locked using "smart" technology.
If someone wants in your home, they are getting in your home, and I'm willing to bet "accidentally leaving the door unlocked" accounts for a high percentage of B&E's.

I've had my car stolen from twice in my lifetime, both times I forgot to lock it.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2009
2266 posts
1225 upvotes
North York
acidcaribou wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:06 pm
The nice thing about this lock (which clearly you didn't look at before crapping on) is your keys still work, and nobody knows you have it except you and the people you let in your home.
It actually overcomes the biggest security issue with "dumb" locks, which is helping you make sure you keep your door locked using "smart" technology.
If someone wants in your home, they are getting in your home, and I'm willing to bet "accidentally leaving the door unlocked" accounts for a high percentage of B&E's.

I've had my car stolen from twice in my lifetime, both times I forgot to lock it.
I'd like to also add that it can also alert you when the door has opened for whatever reason. So thats a plus on security.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1255 posts
570 upvotes
Surrey
acidcaribou wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:06 pm

I know that game but I've never played it. Look like you have though Face With Tears Of Joy

Also I was answering a question. And the way you quote "smart" while explaining something so basic just makes me laugh. It's a glorified door unlocker with bells and whistles. There are other security equipment that don't unlock the door but still provide really good security. And facts you use are just laughable. You think B&E always happens from just front door. Don't you think that's the last place someone trying to steal would enter from. RFD never fails to surprise lmao

Also what makes you someone stealing from front door would wait there for more than 5 minutes. Once he's gone this lock would've done jack**it
0 tolerance for BS.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
1722 posts
265 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been looking for a smart lock but $300+ is kinda steep. Buying from Best Buy might be a better bet using the eBates discount currently on.
Feb 19, 2009
341 posts
288 upvotes
Brampton
grayhal wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:19 pm
I know that game but I've never played it. Look like you have though Face With Tears Of Joy

Also I was answering a question. And the way you quote "smart" while explaining something so basic just makes me laugh. It's a glorified door unlocker with bells and whistles. There are other security equipment that don't unlock the door but still provide really good security. And facts you use are just laughable. You think B&E always happens from just front door. Don't you think that's the last place someone trying to steal would enter from. RFD never fails to surprise lmao

Also what makes you someone stealing from front door would wait there for more than 5 minutes. Once he's gone this lock would've done jack**it
As I said if someone wants in, they are getting in.
I'm sure you had another point somewhere in your rant but I can't seem to find it.

The most common break-in times are during the day, and yes if I were a thief I would probably try the front door first.
Smashing windows and crawling in through basements tends to bring unwanted attention. Strolling in the unlocked front door, much better option.
Can someone install a security system and get this functionality without having a convenient way to unlock their door? Sure, for a monthly fee that will add up to the cost of this lock within a year.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4317 posts
1384 upvotes
How is this better than the other ones?
Jul 31, 2015
346 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 4:56 pm

Agreed, but only if you use homekit right?
Yeah, the August Lock works fine without HomeKit or Connect. You just don't have out of range control of your lock via internet. For example, if I am driving away I can ask Siri whether I locked my front door with HomeKit. Or unlock the door via Siri as I pull in and get out with grocery bags. M favorite now is using HomeKit scenes. Like when I leave the house, I use a Siri Shortcut to lock the front door+turn off all the lights+turn off wifi+open podcast app.
Jul 31, 2015
346 posts
193 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Jabourasaurus wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 5:26 pm
Does using the ATV as a HomeKit still allow the same smart functions if your primary mobile device is an Android?
I'm going to say no. But if you upgrade to MacOS Mojave, you can use your Macbook to control your August Lock via HomeKit when you're out of bluetooth range (check if it's locked; unlock it; link it to smart lights, etc).

I think if you had the Connect, then you would be able to use Google Assistant with the August Lock on an Android device.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1618 posts
1484 upvotes
Alberta
I upgrade my Kevo to this August Pro and it's infinitely better. Love the auto-unlock feature.
Dec 25, 2015
60 posts
39 upvotes
Markham, ON
This item has regularly went on sale for $279.99 at Best Buy multiple times this year. During a Google Home Mini promo they had a few months ago, you could have picked this up for this price and got a free Google Home Mini. I have picked up two locks so far this year. Fantastic locks, however I do intend to switch to Nest x Yale if and when they include the "auto-unlock" feature.
Fido 3GB/$0 + TextNow App = Free Unlimited Global Texting/NA Calling
FreePhoneLine + Obi200 = Free Unlimited Canada-Wide Home Phone
Dec 21, 2012
63 posts
31 upvotes
GVR
Cold deal.
The Source has the same one (August Lock Pro 3rd gen + connect) for $253 w/ PSP discount. Don’t forget ebates 1%! Newsletter $10 off doesn’t work.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1984 posts
556 upvotes
I don't get it? What's wrong with using a key to unlock a door?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1618 posts
1484 upvotes
Alberta
second2none wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 2:43 am
I don't get it? What's wrong with using a key to unlock a door?
Because technology evolves... Most vehicles no longer use keys either... I don't want keys in my pocket, because that's where i keep my phone, that is also my key... The key as we know it today was invented in 1848...