Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

August Smart Lock Pro + Connect Bundle - $299.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2018 11:58 pm
Sep 24, 2008
756 posts
355 upvotes
Oakville

[Amazon.ca] August Smart Lock Pro + Connect Bundle - $299.99

Been looking for a Homekit smart lock for a while - was hoping for some Prime Day deals - however, it didn't see anything interesting. However, it looks like the August Smart Lock Pro + Connect bundle is on sale on amazon.ca for $299.99 now ($64 off). Not sure if this is really $64 off - as I think the regular price is $350. It looks like the same price at Bestbuy also.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/au ... 81507.aspx?

I'm still trying to decide between this lock and the Schlage Sense. I like the idea of auto-unlock based on geo/wifi/bluetooth that August offers - although I have read that this isn't overly reliable. I also can't find any documentation on how August handles multiple user households (with respect to get based auto-lock, and auto-unlock). ie. if my wife is home and I leave the geo-fence, does it lock the doors? or is it somehow smart enough to only execute the auto-lock when ALL household members leave the geo-fence?

Lastly, if the auto-unlock is unreliable, then I would want a keypad as a backup - but then that's another $70 for August (and that keypad doesn't have the greatest reviews). I'm not a fan of using Siri or the app to unlock the door - and using a key as the backup defeats the purpose completely.
12 replies
Feb 13, 2009
415 posts
325 upvotes
montreal, qc
i see it at canadian tire also at $299
Sep 24, 2008
756 posts
355 upvotes
Oakville
ogcmtl wrote: i see it at canadian tire also at $299
Not sure if the CanadianTire one is the 3rd Gen Pro model (with door sense)...but it doesn't come with the Connect (which sells separately for $89.99)
Mar 4, 2008
313 posts
492 upvotes
rfdnutz wrote: Been looking for a Homekit smart lock for a while - was hoping for some Prime Day deals - however, it didn't see anything interesting. However, it looks like the August Smart Lock Pro + Connect bundle is on sale on amazon.ca for $299.99 now ($64 off). Not sure if this is really $64 off - as I think the regular price is $350. It looks like the same price at Bestbuy also.

I'm still trying to decide between this lock and the Schlage Sense. I like the idea of auto-unlock based on geo/wifi/bluetooth that August offers - although I have read that this isn't overly reliable. I also can't find any documentation on how August handles multiple user households (with respect to get based auto-lock, and auto-unlock). ie. if my wife is home and I leave the geo-fence, does it lock the doors? or is it somehow smart enough to only execute the auto-lock when ALL household members leave the geo-fence?

Lastly, if the auto-unlock is unreliable, then I would want a keypad as a backup - but then that's another $70 for August (and that keypad doesn't have the greatest reviews). I'm not a fan of using Siri or the app to unlock the door - and using a key as the backup defeats the purpose completely.
OP, I have the first gen August with a Connect for over 2 years so I can tell you my experience.

The Auto unlock feature and Auto lock feature are 2 separate things.

Auto lock is based on a timer, it will lock after X amount of time after it was unlocked
Auto-unlock uses the geo-fence - so if you leave, and your wife is still home, it will still be unlocked.

Auto-unlock has improved dramatically since I first got it, and pretty much works seamlessly. There are sometimes it is slow to detect (depends on how it connects to your wi-fi, or if the device batteries are low), but anytime I come home it works. I am very happy with it.

Feel free to DM if you have more questions
Mar 6, 2008
456 posts
197 upvotes
Ottawa
The August lock is a pretty solid product when you're connecting to it via Bluetooth. However, be advised that the August Connect, which enables remote connections to the lock, and is used for geo-fencing and push notifications isn't the best tool. It doesn't provide a reliable remote connection to the lock, and has a poor connection to the lock even though it's plugged in right beside it. I'm not sure how it's rated 4.2/5 on BestBuy, but if you read into the negative reviews on Amazon and BB, it's the same feedback all around--gets you a remote connection but sucks.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2011
1820 posts
700 upvotes
Canada
rfdnutz wrote: Been looking for a Homekit smart lock for a while - was hoping for some Prime Day deals - however, it didn't see anything interesting. However, it looks like the August Smart Lock Pro + Connect bundle is on sale on amazon.ca for $299.99 now ($64 off). Not sure if this is really $64 off - as I think the regular price is $350. It looks like the same price at Bestbuy also.

I have the Schlage Sense. So far works well, the motor can bit a bit loud but it's not a deal breaker. There's a setting which can enable auto lock every like 10 mins, so if you forget to lock the door, it will lock on its own. Also, the iOS Home app has automation setup so it will ask you to lock/unlock when you're approaching or leaving your home, and it notifies you on your homescreen or apple watch.

The good thing about the August here is it supports HomeKit/Alexa/Assistant/Z-Wave so it could have some good resale value in the future, versus just HomeKit for the Sense.
==
Telus iPhone 11 Pro
Aug 10, 2003
433 posts
37 upvotes
Oakville
if you don't care about the home kit and/or z-wave integration, get the non-round 3rd gen one at amazon for $160 (silver one went up to $175 since i bought it a few days back).. i know you would need a time machine, but visions.ca just had $20 off on the wifi bridge bringing the combo to $230 so that would be my benchmark for pricing.

so far, there's some lag with app connecting to the lock via BT but I am using an ancient phone for now so i need a few more days to see if it passes WAT* .. I've set it up for auto unlock and can't wait to try it out today when i get home. Hoping to improve reliability/functionality with the wifi bridge.

* Wife Acceptance Testing
Apr 13, 2005
350 posts
150 upvotes
Kitchener

Auto unlock in the past wasn't reliable, but now it's quite reliable! I've had one of these for years and suffered through the early days when it wasn't so great. August has been committed to continuously improving this product, and now I can confidently recommend this.

Also - even if the auto-unlock wasn't reliable, you wouldn't need a key for backup. Worst case you'd just need to open the app and unlock it yourself, rather than the door unlocking "automagically" as you approach. No other product (aside from the sense which I haven't tested) comes close to the convenience of this feature (think when you're trying to get in with handfuls of grocery bags!).

Biggest risk is ensuring batteries in the lock arent dead, but the app warns you when battery is low and you can hear it in the motor as it opens more slowly when batteries start to die. I used rechargeables and never managed to lock myself out :).

In regards to "auto-lock", it doesn't use geofence for that. It simply uses a timer. I love this feature as well. After anywhere from 30 seconds to 2 minutes after you unlock, it'll just lock the door on its own. Just be careful when taking out the trash if you didn't bring your phone with you.
Last edited by baggio4eva on Jul 20th, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 13, 2005
350 posts
150 upvotes
Kitchener
Yodums wrote: The August lock is a pretty solid product when you're connecting to it via Bluetooth. However, be advised that the August Connect, which enables remote connections to the lock, and is used for geo-fencing and push notifications isn't the best tool. It doesn't provide a reliable remote connection to the lock, and has a poor connection to the lock even though it's plugged in right beside it. I'm not sure how it's rated 4.2/5 on BestBuy, but if you read into the negative reviews on Amazon and BB, it's the same feedback all around--gets you a remote connection but sucks.
Agreed, but apparently this was fixed very recently. Now it's quite seamless when remote unlocking (assuming the August connect has a strong wifi signal, which I didn't have any issues with).
Apr 20, 2018
252 posts
678 upvotes
How well does this work in very cold weather (this winter if it goes to like -35 Celsius). Any feedback?
Sep 24, 2008
756 posts
355 upvotes
Oakville
Thanks for the feedback on the lock. You guys have convinced me to go with the August. Hope it passes the WAT as @majic pointed out!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
je190060 wrote: How well does this work in very cold weather (this winter if it goes to like -35 Celsius). Any feedback?
The outside temperature should have no bearing as the device is indoors. As long as you're not keeping the house at -35 you should be golden.

Having said that I have this lock on both of our exterior doors and love the thing. The auto unlock wasn't as reliable when we first got it in January but has gotten better as others have stated. We do have redundancies built into our smart home setup to ensure a fully smooth operation for us. We have the side door, our main set to a longer auto time out lock for the fact we take garbage, etc out this way and don't want to be locked out and a shorter time out on our front door. We go with longer times though as we are not concerned about the length of time our door is unlocked when we are home. As well we have our locks paired with SmartThings so if someone leaves the home area all locks automatically lock. These 2 configurations guarantee our locks are always locked when we want and expect them to be.

As well I've dealt with August customer service a couple times and been very happy with their service. Response time has always been quick and they've always kept communication open until my problems have been resolved. I even got a free upgrade from the original doorbell camera (which I got for around $90 on clearance) to the newer Pro when I was having issues.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
The Camelot style Schlage Sense was on sale during Amazon prime day (I think it was $188). I helped someone install it.

I’m not sure to what extent these smart locks are hackable. That concern aside, Schlage Sense works reliably in my testing for those who own Apple TV 4K even when the Apple TV is asleep. The built-in forced entry alarm works well. The owners also preferred an audible motor.

HomeKit integration allows the door to unlock automatically whenever anyone in your defined home arrives (you can selectively check or uncheck users) or when the first person arrives. The same options exist for locking the door automatically when leaving.

Lifetime warranty with 3 years on electronics
Schlage doesn’t make you ship anything back. You send in pictures and receipts for warranty claims.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.