Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Aukey Dash Cam on sale again

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2018 5:10 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Exp315 wrote: Amazon clearly isn't doing enough to clean up their reviews, We see a lot of cheap junk products with a bunch of obviously fake 5-star reviews, and a ratings distribution that reminds you of the election results in a dictatorship where disloyal citizens are shot (99.9% favored our glorious leader!). But the fakers are bound to smarten up over time, start posting a more plausible review distribution, hiring shills who can actually write grammatical English, etc..

Then there's crap like the Amazon Vine program that deliberately puts sellers and paid shills together. As soon as I see "Vine" next to a reviewer name I know that it's an untrustworthy review.

But this is an industry-wide issue. I can name a dozen retailers in Canada who censor bad reviews, from Best Buy to Canadian Tire.
That's true. But so far you can tell apart the real reviews from the fake ones pretty easily. It bothers me when Amazon doesn't do enough to curb fake reviews yet some genuine customers can't post real ones. I know for sure Best Buy censors bad reviews because I tried to post one for a pair of headphones with 2 stars but was rejected.
Apr 28, 2007
356 posts
201 upvotes
Regina
Elky64 wrote: Believe it is just text the user manually inputs to identify cam, owners signature/handle or whatever, will appear if have date & time stamp, GPS info (device dependent) enabled where it overlays the video.
I found a review, but it doesn't offer much detail on how it works...
The unit also has a feature called Vehicle Identity Text, which will send you a text whenever your vehicle is being tampered with.
Maybe I'll try and find a manual online....
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Elky64 wrote: Haven't posted a review on Amazon this year but had a few issues in 2017, one like you that needed verification, another got lost (temporarily), another took weeks to show up. Just emailed them and within short order problems were resolved.
I don't have other problems such as slow or lost reviews, I can't even get past posting. I did contact amazon customer service multiple times but they kept sending me the "customer review guidelines" link that didn't help at all. I emailed them twice and called them three times including a last call today, none could help. In fact, one of them told me they didn't have a technical support department. By the end of each contact they always promised to submit a form for support to contact me but support never happened. I called them to follow up, they claimed there was no evident that a form was submitted from the previous chat. I got fed up today and asked to talk to a supervisor but that didn't take us any further than "I will submit a form for you".
Apr 28, 2007
356 posts
201 upvotes
Regina
warrenz wrote: I found a review, but it doesn't offer much detail on how it works...

Oops not the same device... Doh!
Nov 11, 2006
330 posts
207 upvotes
East Kootenays
warrenz wrote: I found a review, but it doesn't offer much detail on how it works...

Think what you are talking about is the "Plate Stamp: Imprints a customized set of 6 digits to the recorded video. Useful to add license plates or identifying features." as stated in the manual. This model being sold has no WiFi, no GPS, no cellular capabilities so can't be anything other than that.
Last edited by Elky64 on Jan 23rd, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 14, 2012
83 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto Ontario Cana…
fudge_u wrote: Depends on if you want a discrete cam or not.
How discreet is it?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
2211 posts
1356 upvotes
kanechart wrote: I want a dual one but not theirs it sucks too much.
Have you tried Aukey dual cam?
Also any dual damage you can recommend?
Nov 11, 2006
330 posts
207 upvotes
East Kootenays
Aliac9000 wrote: How discreet is it?
That'll depend on vehicle/windshield design and the users placement. Highly unlikely you'll be able to hide it completely, at least not this type of cam. Just go scout out a few review videos on YouTube to get a general idea.
Jan 1, 2016
318 posts
470 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I just received this in the mail, and it is as advertised. To be fair, it is basically a copy of the V119. You are right in that it doesn't have GPS/speed/WiFi to retrieve files. However, to me those are so unimportant. GPS/Speed is unlike to ever HELP YOU in case of an accident. It can only implicate you. The Wifi appears to be a huge deal at first, but then you realize that when you drive to work and from work every day, the trip is already boring enough and you can't be bothered to see it again.

In terms of things I actually like and why I'll keep it, the video quality is good (claims to have sony sensor), it is very very discreet, and that it is backed by a 2 yr warranty. I bought my last one from ******** broke in 2 months. Viofo wants me to ship it to China. Ya no way bro. This 2 year warranty means a lot to me.

Just my 2 cents
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2008
3322 posts
328 upvotes
SuperOxide wrote: Viofo wants me to ship it to China. Ya no way bro. This 2 year warranty means a lot to me.
How does the Aukey warranty work? Do they have a location in North America?
Jan 1, 2016
318 posts
470 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I have had an issue with an Aukey charger in the past. I sent them pictures of how it broke, and they sent me a full refund after some initial haggling. I did not have to ship the defective item back. My hope is that I get the same service when this Dash Cam breaks. As much as Aukey does fake reviews, their service has a fairly good reputation, and it's what I look for in things that are consumables: chargers, dash cams.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
rayydar wrote: About that review shenanigans... this product get a score of F on FakeSpot.
But the same product on Amazon.com gets a B rating from Fakespot with more than 100 reviews. Automation is no substitute for human evaluation.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
SuperOxide wrote: I just received this in the mail, and it is as advertised. To be fair, it is basically a copy of the V119. You are right in that it doesn't have GPS/speed/WiFi to retrieve files. However, to me those are so unimportant. GPS/Speed is unlike to ever HELP YOU in case of an accident. It can only implicate you. The Wifi appears to be a huge deal at first, but then you realize that when you drive to work and from work every day, the trip is already boring enough and you can't be bothered to see it again.

In terms of things I actually like and why I'll keep it, the video quality is good (claims to have sony sensor), it is very very discreet, and that it is backed by a 2 yr warranty. I bought my last one from ******** broke in 2 months. Viofo wants me to ship it to China. Ya no way bro. This 2 year warranty means a lot to me.

Just my 2 cents
The Aukey isn't a copy of the A119. The A119 uses an NT96660 processor, and the Aukey uses an NT96655. The A119 can do 1080p 60fps / 1440p 30fps, while the Aukey can only do 1080p 30fps. Based on YouTube vids of both dash cams, the A119 v2 looks a bit better.

Also, the Spy Tec version of the A119 v2 is the better one to get, just for warranty purposes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
rayydar wrote: About that review shenanigans... this product get a score of F on FakeSpot.
I can see why in this case. Only 3 out of 8 reviews were verified purchases.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3859 posts
2814 upvotes
fudge_u wrote: The Aukey isn't a copy of the A119. The A119 uses an NT96660 processor, and the Aukey uses an NT96655. The A119 can do 1080p 60fps / 1440p 30fps, while the Aukey can only do 1080p 30fps.
The Aukey DR02 uses the Sony IMX323 sensor, which is limited to 1080p 30fps regardless of the processor.

Keep in mind that a sensor that supports 60fps is not necessarily better than one limited to 30fps. It's the sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratio that counts. The pixels only have half the frame time and gather half the light at 60 fps, resulting in a lower signal-to-noise ratio and therefore a noisier image. The image processor covers that up by applying more smoothing, resulting in a fuzzier image. So at 60fps you get a fuzzier image that takes up twice as much storage space. Is it worthwhile? Maybe, if the sensor has a 2x better signal-to-noise ratio than the competition to start with. Maybe not if they're just pushing the same technology twice as fast with half the quality.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
14353 posts
15717 upvotes
Oil Country
Exp315 wrote: The Aukey DR02 uses the Sony IMX323 sensor, which is limited to 1080p 30fps regardless of the processor.

Keep in mind that a sensor that supports 60fps is not necessarily better than one limited to 30fps. It's the sensitivity and signal-to-noise ratio that counts. The pixels only have half the frame time and gather half the light at 60 fps, resulting in a lower signal-to-noise ratio and therefore a noisier image. The image processor covers that up by applying more smoothing, resulting in a fuzzier image. So at 60fps you get a fuzzier image that takes up twice as much storage space. Is it worthwhile? Maybe, if the sensor has a 2x better signal-to-noise ratio than the competition to start with. Maybe not if they're just pushing the same technology twice as fast with half the quality.
Think the OmniVision OV4689 sensor in the A119 v2 will make a big difference over the Sony?