Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Bike tire gatorskin folding 700x28 $49.07

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2018 8:13 pm
May 21, 2012
99 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Bike tire gatorskin folding 700x28 $49.07

Folding tire that normally sell for more than 60 dollars.
Images
  • 71bVK8jqQQL._SL1500_.jpg
Last edited by TomRFD on Feb 19th, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title edit; added image
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1126 posts
1793 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
A bit cheaper on CRC if you can wait and need two - or can add a filler to get to $75 for free shipping.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e ... -prod18800

Small boxes and <$100 rarely gets charged duty. Even if you get charged, you'd still pay that tax at Amazon. Worth a shot for many people.
May 21, 2012
99 posts
72 upvotes
Montreal
Never tried ChainReaction & Co (Uk bike stores) , how you do to avoid brokerage fees and pay duties ?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1448 posts
1792 upvotes
Bike noob, is the folding spec merely for shipping and transportation?
These looks like a good tire for my road bike, I've got a few thousand KM on my current tires and they need to be changed. (Width seems to big on amazon)
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
lleb13 wrote: Bike noob, is the folding spec merely for shipping and transportation?
These looks like a good tire for my road bike, I've got a few thousand KM on my current tires and they need to be changed. (Width seems to big on amazon)
basically yes, the folding tire is easy to bring along. They are a bit lighter too. Some people say they are harder to mount due to less stretching of the bead but I've never noticed a big difference.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
seddiksaber wrote: Never tried ChainReaction & Co (Uk bike stores) , how you do to avoid brokerage fees and pay duties ?
Chain reaction offers a untracked option which comes by Canada Post. For cheaper orders, say under $100, often it will pass through without any fees. I find it's a gamble with the DIY route, sometimes I get dinged for a $75 package ($10 + HST on the order) and sometimes even a $120 package makes it unscathed

They also offer prepaid options that you pay upfront taxes/duties and there are no other surprise fees. That's probably the best bet if you are ordering something expensive which will likely get caught in customs.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Thanks OP! Ordered one.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1512 posts
2737 upvotes
seddiksaber wrote: Folding tire that normally sell for more than 60 dollars.
brghunter wrote: A bit cheaper on CRC if you can wait and need two - or can add a filler to get to $75 for free shipping.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/e ... -prod18800

Small boxes and <$100 rarely gets charged duty. Even if you get charged, you'd still pay that tax at Amazon. Worth a shot for many people.
seddiksaber wrote: Never tried ChainReaction & Co (Uk bike stores) , how you do to avoid brokerage fees and pay duties ?
warpdrive wrote:
Chain reaction offers a untracked option which comes by Canada Post. For cheaper orders, say under $100, often it will pass through without any fees. I find it's a gamble with the DIY route, sometimes I get dinged for a $75 package ($10 + HST on the order) and sometimes even a $120 package makes it unscathed

They also offer prepaid options that you pay upfront taxes/duties and there are no other surprise fees. That's probably the best bet if you are ordering something expensive which will likely get caught in customs.
CaptSmethwick wrote: Thanks OP! Ordered one.
Too EXPENSIVE.

https://www.merlincycles.com/continenta ... 61932.html
$38 per tyre, free shipping starts at $90 min spend. Hands off to Canada Post so not likely to get dinged with custom fees or brokerage or import tax.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continen ... -twinpack/
$66.70 for a pair + $10.54 shipping so $38.62 per tyre if you don't really have anything to add to make the $90 min spend of merlin cycles. Posting is same as merlin cycles, hands off to Canada Post.

General rule, try to keep your spend below $100 and you'll get pass CBSA and avoid tax and whatnot. Way cheaper than MEC or Amazon. I never buy anything bike related on Amazon and I only shop at MEC for the bare necessities like gear cables, I don't even buy small things like Continental tubes from MEC anymore. The tubes purchase I save as add ons to make the min spend at merlin cycles. Ordered from ribbles, merlins, probikekit.com for years and no issue.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1512 posts
2737 upvotes
isgaard wrote: https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continen ... -twinpack/
$66.70 for a pair + $10.54 shipping so $38.62 per tyre if you don't really have anything to add to make the $90 min spend of merlin cycles. Posting is same as merlin cycles, hands off to Canada Post.
There's also a referral for ribbles, you get £10 ($17) off your first order over £50 ($88, you still have to pay extra for shipping).
Last edited by Redmask on Feb 19th, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Report regarding requesting PMs
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
There are better deals out there I am sure but I personally do not like my credit card information in the hands of website managers that I do not know. In any case, I had a case of buyer's remorse and cancelled my order with Amazon - my current gatorskins are in good shape...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2015
1158 posts
1336 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. I feel bad for people who spend $90 for gp4000s at local bike shops. I get the value in having a brick and mortar shop but those prices are 2x. Even parts and chains. Stores get mad when I bring in parts for them to use in repairs and I'm like, "you can turn me away" but your business survives on labor, you can't compete elsewhere and I'm not paying $200 for a chain or $14 for a tube.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
4648 posts
1680 upvotes
West Side GTA
BBQPEANUT wrote: Yeah. I feel bad for people who spend $90 for gp4000s at local bike shops. I get the value in having a brick and mortar shop but those prices are 2x. Even parts and chains. Stores get mad when I bring in parts for them to use in repairs and I'm like, "you can turn me away" but your business survives on labor, you can't compete elsewhere and I'm not paying $200 for a chain or $14 for a tube.
+1 on that...like seriously the only time I use my LBS now is simply to buy chain lube or 1 tube.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
isgaard wrote: Too EXPENSIVE.

https://www.merlincycles.com/continenta ... 61932.html
$38 per tyre, free shipping starts at $90 min spend. Hands off to Canada Post so not likely to get dinged with custom fees or brokerage or import tax.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/continen ... -twinpack/

General rule, try to keep your spend below $100 and you'll get pass CBSA and avoid tax and whatnot. Way cheaper than MEC or Amazon. I never buy anything bike related on Amazon and I only shop at MEC for the bare necessities like gear cables, I don't even buy small things like Continental tubes from MEC anymore. The tubes purchase I save as add ons to make the min spend at merlin cycles. Ordered from ribbles, merlins, probikekit.com for years and no issue.
there is still a small chance that you will get dinged at Canada Post, which adds $10 to the total. As I said, I got hit one time with a $75 order from CRC

Also at some point, those UK dealers where sometimes using tracked couriers even with free shipping and people were getting hit with brokerage fees, which is why CRC actually added a Postal Untracked option because people complained that they were getting brokerage fees. Is it still true they all use Royal Mail/Canada Post if you select the cheapest shipping option? I haven't ordered anything in the last year so maybe it's pretty safe now?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2004
5800 posts
2639 upvotes
Toronto
I've made 2 orders for stuff from Chain Reaction Cycle in the last 3 months (order total at $120+ and at $75), both got delivered to me without duty or any HST charges.

Not going to lie, I've been hit with duty when I bought wheels from the U.K and Canada Post has hit me with HST collection twice on other orders. It's like a hit and miss.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2011
1512 posts
2737 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: There are better deals out there I am sure but I personally do not like my credit card information in the hands of website managers that I do not know.
These websites take paypal...... and these website have been in business for a very long time.
warpdrive wrote: there is still a small chance that you will get dinged at Canada Post, which adds $10 to the total. As I said, I got hit one time with a $75 order from CRC

Also at some point, those UK dealers where sometimes using tracked couriers even with free shipping and people were getting hit with brokerage fees, which is why CRC actually added a Postal Untracked option because people complained that they were getting brokerage fees. Is it still true they all use Royal Mail/Canada Post if you select the cheapest shipping option? I haven't ordered anything in the last year so maybe it's pretty safe now?
I avoid CRC as their paperwork makes it easy for Canada Post to ding you, although I recently spent $99 on spiked tires from CRC and didn't get dinged (MEC, the cheapest around, would've cost me $210 plus tax). For a short period two years ago, they used DHL even on the free shipping option and a lot of Canadians complained so they removed DHL and left royalmail/parcelforce.
Mr. Robo wrote: I've made 2 orders for stuff from Chain Reaction Cycle in the last 3 months (order total at $120+ and at $75), both got delivered to me without duty or any HST charges.

Not going to lie, I've been hit with duty when I bought wheels from the U.K and Canada Post has hit me with HST collection twice on other orders. It's like a hit and miss.
Wheelset are subjected to CBSA duties. unbuilt wheel components are not, so if you ordered $1000 worth of rims, hubs, spokes and built the wheel yourself, then you're good, no duties.
Dec 2, 2009
277 posts
94 upvotes
Saskatoon
I've ordered a mix of tires, tubes, tools, components and clothing over the years from ProBikeKit, Wiggle and Ribble and haven't got dinged from any of them *knock on wood*, but I can't speak for CRC. Going to one of these UK places is definitely the way to go for bicycle parts for the best price, especially compared to the LBS (unfortunately). It makes getting fresh GP4000S II's on a regular/yearly basis for my tri bike a no brainer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
isgaard wrote: These websites take paypal...... and these website have been in business for a very long time.
Paypal is an absolute must. I simply do not share my cc information with websites as I do not trust them to have the infrastructure to defend against theft/hackers.

Excuse me while I adjust my tinfoil hat...
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2015
1158 posts
1336 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Another option is to use Canada Posts Flex Delivery. Gives you a free digital PO boxes at the retail postal outlet. Forces Canada Post shipping. And then you can pick it up near work or home (love it when I need a package quick since I can get it the same day it gets delivered vs having it bounce from my apartment and take another day to the postal outlet)