• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2018 9:17 am
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
532 posts
15 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon Canada] Breville Barista Touch Espresso Machine

Pretty strong household favourite from all the wish lists and discussions I've ever seen. All time low on amazon with another 5% ebates. BB also has the same price

Obviously quite the premium over the standard barista express that's about half the price too... but the built in grinder, presets, and auto aerating wand might just be worth the extra

Mmmm coffee! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
8 replies
Jan 3, 2013
528 posts
170 upvotes
Winnipeg
I recently purchased the smart grinder pro which is made by Breville. If this machine is like the smart pro where you can't buy parts yourself you may want to think more than twice before pulling the trigger.

The smart pro plus pour over, areopress, French press, and drip has had me making really good drinks. Smart pro was $189 recently.

Hope this helps
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2324 posts
1252 upvotes
GVRD
This is a semi-automatic machine with little manual function, I would only recommend it if you are looking at creating lots of milk drink and OK for the computer to do it for you. If you are seriously interested in making espresso like a barista, the Dual Boiler is the one you want.

Like zeon64 says, there are lots of options if you are spending upwards $1k.
Oct 29, 2014
405 posts
107 upvotes
zeon64 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2018 11:32 pm
I recently purchased the smart grinder pro which is made by Breville. If this machine is like the smart pro where you can't buy parts yourself you may want to think more than twice before pulling the trigger.

The smart pro plus pour over, areopress, French press, and drip has had me making really good drinks. Smart pro was $189 recently.

Hope this helps

I got the smart grinder pro as well. Seems to be pretty good so far with my gaggia classic. Can you expand on your comment a bit more? Are replacement parts very difficult to come by

I was looking at a manual grinder but any of the top rated ones I cannot seem to get I Canada. I am open to suggestions..
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6672 posts
1620 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
pkphilip wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 12:50 am
If you are seriously interested in making espresso like a barista, the Dual Boiler is the one you want.
And the black Dual Boiler is at $999 right now on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ISQ6ZM0/ref ... =UTF8&th=1

I’ve been using the Dual Boilers every day since around 2012 and I’ve been very happy with them.
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2324 posts
1252 upvotes
GVRD
30seconds wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 1:12 am
I got the smart grinder pro as well. Seems to be pretty good so far with my gaggia classic. Can you expand on your comment a bit more? Are replacement parts very difficult to come by

I was looking at a manual grinder but any of the top rated ones I cannot seem to get I Canada. I am open to suggestions..
I was able to pick up a Porlex with a custom 3D metal printed adapter to fit a standard drill. I can't imagine doing espresso using a hand-grinder.
Nov 28, 2018
22 posts
4 upvotes
Deal looks good,

I picked one up

Thanks OP!
Jan 3, 2013
528 posts
170 upvotes
Winnipeg
30seconds wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 1:12 am

Replacement parts are difficult for end user to get from Breville. They sell basic parts like the canister but any burrs or internal parts they don't allow you to purchase.
Oct 29, 2014
405 posts
107 upvotes
zeon64 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 5:10 pm
Replacement parts are difficult for end user to get from Breville. They sell basic parts like the canister but any burrs or internal parts they don't allow you to purchase.
So did you keep it? I enjoy the SGP so far.