Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) Starter Kit (32 GB EVO+ Edition, Premium Black Case) - $78.99

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:21 pm
[OP]
Mar 2, 2006
290 posts
115 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) Starter Kit (32 GB EVO+ Edition, Premium Black Case) - $78.99

CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Starter Kit (32 GB EVO+ Edition, Premium Black Case) on sale for $98.99 (from $129.99) minus $20 coupon making it $78.99.

Includes Made in UK Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (B Plus) with 1.4 GHz 64-bit Quad-Core Processor, 1 GB RAM
Dual Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz IEEE 802.11.b/g/n/ac Wireless LAN, Enhanced Ethernet Performance
32 GB Samsung EVO+ Micro SD Card (Class 10) Pre-loaded with NOOBS, USB MicroSD Card Reader
CanaKit 2.5A USB Power Supply with Micro USB Cable and Noise Filter - Specially designed for the Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (UL Listed)
CanaKit PiSwitch, Premium Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Case, High Quality HDMI Cable, 2 x Heat Sinks, GPIO Quick Reference Card, CanaKit Full Color Quick-Start Guide
42 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12929 posts
1340 upvotes
Mississauga
my Raspberry Pi had been useless for me (after trying out few experiments, like HTPC, ROM Emulation etc), till I ended up installing Pi.Hole, now it's the most critical networking device in my home. Highly recommend hooking up Pi Hole on it to block telemetry and ads, across your network, no matter what device.
Dec 18, 2017
362 posts
671 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
weedb0y wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 9:11 pm
my Raspberry Pi had been useless for me (after trying out few experiments, like HTPC, ROM Emulation etc), till I ended up installing Pi.Hole, now it's the most critical networking device in my home. Highly recommend hooking up Pi Hole on it to block telemetry and ads, across your network, no matter what device.
OT: I’ve been wanting to do what you did for a long time, but the thing holding me back is that I use smartdnsproxy at home for Hulu/Netflix US and I’ve read that the two are not interoperable.

Any tips? Appreciate if you could share tips over PM if doing it here details the thread.
AT&T Group buy: 16GB/unlimited calls, texts anywhere in Canada, US and Mexico for USD24/month. -- 5 spots available.
Spotify Premium Group buy: CAD30/year for premium access. -- 1 spot available.

❗PM me to sign up.
Aug 19, 2018
538 posts
490 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 9:19 pm
OT: I’ve been wanting to do what you did for a long time, but the thing holding me back is that I use smartdnsproxy at home for Hulu/Netflix US and I’ve read that the two are not interoperable.

Any tips? Appreciate if you could share tips over PM if doing it here details the thread.
Not much you can do with that. You can't really merge two DNS together easily. The best you can do is keep your smartTV and tv box on Smartdnsproxy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7952 posts
519 upvotes
Scarborough
weedb0y wrote:
I'm exactly in the same boat like you. Pi-hole is awesome device, it block all the sh1t$ under the Sun :)
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12929 posts
1340 upvotes
Mississauga
vancityguy0 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 9:19 pm

Like other posters recommendation, I'd just use the smartdnsproxy on your devices that you need for Hulu. Rest should be on pi.hole
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1128 posts
216 upvotes
Is there any place to get the pi zero at its advertised price ~$5 ? Without dealing with all these retailers charging an arm & leg for shipping and only allowing to buy 1 per shipment ?
Aug 19, 2018
538 posts
490 upvotes
fizz1234 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 9:59 pm
Is there any place to get the pi zero at its advertised price ~$5 ? Without dealing with all these retailers charging an arm & leg for shipping and only allowing to buy 1 per shipment ?
https://www.buyapi.ca/product-category/ ... pi-boards/

You might be able to pick up for $7 here if you are close to them but it is still limited at 1. Don't know any place that doesn't limit Pi Zero.

For this Pi Hole purpose, an older Model A+ would be good cause you don't need an extra Ethernet adapter

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry ... 256mb-ram/ which is probably the cheapest you can get in Canada.
Dec 14, 2017
139 posts
101 upvotes
Cucumference wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:13 pm
https://www.buyapi.ca/product-category/ ... pi-boards/

You might be able to pick up for $7 here if you are close to them but it is still limited at 1. Don't know any place that doesn't limit Pi Zero.

For this Pi Hole purpose, an older Model A+ would be good cause you don't need an extra Ethernet adapter

https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry ... 256mb-ram/ which is probably the cheapest you can get in Canada.
If you use a pi hole as a DHCP server though, and it's filtering your web traffic, then wouldn't it make sense to connect it via ethernet to minimize lag between traffic?
Mar 25, 2013
304 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
Fantastic price. Might have to pick up another.
DroidKid
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1575 posts
524 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
fizz1234 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 9:59 pm
This.
The whole point of the raspberry pi is that it's cheap (well, that's how I see it at least).
But good luck actually getting the low-cost one at the advertised price.
TTC tokens for sale AT A DISCOUNT!
ttc-tokens-below-face-value-2268875/
Jul 11, 2016
37 posts
20 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Throw Wireguard on there and you can have the adblocking on it 24/7. Its an awesome upgrade.
Jan 10, 2011
367 posts
146 upvotes
karvagio wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:11 am
Throw Wireguard on there and you can have the adblocking on it 24/7. Its an awesome upgrade.
Can you briefly explain how you are using Wireguard? Are you tunneling back into your home network from your cellular connection in order to route back through Pi-hole?
Jul 15, 2009
190 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
TheImp wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 1:28 am
This.
The whole point of the raspberry pi is that it's cheap (well, that's how I see it at least).
But good luck actually getting the low-cost one at the advertised price.
This exactly. You can pick up an low-power optiplex for $75 and make it a pfsense box. Now you've got enterprise grade router capable of handling true GB speeds, with real network security (IDS/IPS) plus infinitely better ad-blocking than a pi-hole (including an actual local DNS resolver that does local DNSSEC validation).

Best to pick Pi's up off the Arrow deals or used of Kijiji, at the elevated price points they've lost their raison d'etre.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3694 posts
895 upvotes
GTA
Chep wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:55 am
Can you briefly explain how you are using Wireguard? Are you tunneling back into your home network from your cellular connection in order to route back through Pi-hole?
That's the idea. You connect back to the home network and in turn, you use the pihole as the DNS server

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

lambdapi