Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Chernobyl HBO series Blu-Ray $24.89

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2020 9:07 am
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11296 posts
6299 upvotes
Ontario
MikoWilson wrote: I'm not being overdramatic. I personally felt let down after reading up on the historical and scientific inacuracies. Some people have a lower level of tolerance for people projecting science illiteracy.
I'm happy for you that your standards are lower than mine, and you accept half-truths from something "based" on reality. We also have different standards for how people should dramatize someone else's gruesome death.
So keep your judgements to yourself. I'm fine with critiquing the mass media that I consume, and there is nothing wrong with that.
All I am trying to explain is that you are confused in what you want to watch. This is a mini series, you may need a documentary. However, those may have inaccuracies too. Be prepared for more disapointments.

My expectations are simple. I am from there I know enough on what happened. This mini series is close enough and I would strongly recommend it to anyone. Of course if you are doing scientific research, you'll need other sources. I recommend Peer reviewed Scholarly papers for that. As documentaries are not going to cut it either. Then again, those are not completely accurate too, since most of the authors were never there.

Back to reality. You ARE being overly dramatic with all the nonsense in a miniseries Blu-ray thread. Stop trolling, you are not fooling anyone...
May 11, 2009
314 posts
132 upvotes
Burlington
MikoWilson wrote: I'm not being overdramatic. I personally felt let down after reading up on the historical and scientific inacuracies. Some people have a lower level of tolerance for people projecting science illiteracy.
I'm happy for you that your standards are lower than mine, and you accept half-truths from something "based" on reality. We also have different standards for how people should dramatize someone else's gruesome death.
So keep your judgements to yourself. I'm fine with critiquing the mass media that I consume, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Dude calm down. There’s no need to go blasting someone and saying they have lower standards and what not. You aren’t keeping your judgements to yourself here, as you demand others do.

BTW if you are going to continue critiquing the mass media that you are consuming, i’d Suggest using words other than gross.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2017
2061 posts
4409 upvotes
No interest in purchasing this show but upvoting because of how interesting and informative the replies have been.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2018
1515 posts
2810 upvotes
Winnipeg
MikoWilson wrote: Babies don't absorb radiation from their mothers, human flesh isn't radiactive if you have radiation poisoning, and on and on.
Well this is just not true. Not at all.

Iodine-131 is a huge exposure problem after nuclear accidents, probably the most concerning for people nearby in the immediate aftermath. It is readily absorbed by the mother through oral and inhaled routes, and actively transported across the placenta. It is primarily a beta emitter that would not penetrate the skin to be directly dangerous to other people, but the xenon-131 decay product is a gamma emitter that could easily affect other people nearby.

Caesium-137 is a close second to iodine. It is not readily transported across the placenta. But it too is primarily a beta emitter with secondary gamma emission from the barium-137m decay product.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3577 upvotes
Spearmint701 wrote: Dude calm down. There’s no need to go blasting someone and saying they have lower standards and what not. You aren’t keeping your judgements to yourself here, as you demand others do.

BTW if you are going to continue critiquing the mass media that you are consuming, i’d Suggest using words other than gross.
I'm calm. If the guy is going to call me overdramatic for not thinking that we should maybe not make a mockery of someone's death, I think I can say he has lower standards for historical accuracy.
Gross is a fine word! That's just being elitist.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1521 posts
3577 upvotes
OneAndTrueHeir wrote: Well this is just not true. Not at all.

Iodine-131 is a huge exposure problem after nuclear accidents, probably the most concerning for people nearby in the immediate aftermath. It is readily absorbed by the mother through oral and inhaled routes, and actively transported across the placenta. It is primarily a beta emitter that would not penetrate the skin to be directly dangerous to other people, but the xenon-131 decay product is a gamma emitter that could easily affect other people nearby.

Caesium-137 is a close second to iodine. It is not readily transported across the placenta. But it too is primarily a beta emitter with secondary gamma emission from the barium-137m decay product.
The show made it seem like the baby ABSORBED the mother's radiation, keeping her alive. Like the baby had super powers, lol.
Jun 27, 2019
25 posts
18 upvotes
darcyh wrote: I watch very little television, but found this series very compelling.

For the folks that have not it viewed it, there are several one liners that are memorable. One of the best is near the end of the show. "Every lie incurs a debt to the truth".
That line really stuck with me, a really powerful moment.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1148 posts
390 upvotes
Kitchener
I lived in Cherobyl as a child. But we moved to Kyiv in 1979 (before the explosion). Nobody knew where Chernobyl was... How many guys know Kinkardine? :)

Yes, all kids went to May 1st demonstration and it was drizzling... Nobody knew. We had our parent's friends from Prypiat stay with us for a month (without ANY belongings) before government found place for them. Only at the end of May kids were sent to eastern part of Ukraine for summer... I guess I got my dose...

Years later I know how BAD it was and it scares me... The only bright part I see is: radiation can affect me differently, so may be I will live 1000 years :)

Peace!!!!
Слава Україні!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
Debating whether to pick this up. Since I have not seen it, not sure where it sits on the re-watchability scale.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
DVD is selling for $0.10 more than Blu-ray on Amazon. Amazon U.S. is selling the DVD for $29.96 and the Blu-Ray for $34.96 making the Canadian option a good deal.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12939 posts
1862 upvotes
Brampton
This series is badass! Looks exactly like a depressed Soviet society. Buildings have such ugly colours which match the drab styling of the Russian made Lada. YouTube also has good documentaries about the disaster.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
For anyone who hasn't seen Band of Brothers

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Jul 29, 2011
221 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
cheapmeister wrote: This series is badass! Looks exactly like a depressed Soviet society. Buildings have such ugly colours which match the drab styling of the Russian made Lada. YouTube also has good documentaries about the disaster.
Lada is having a retro moment in ex-Soviet republics. I saw alot of souped up ones in Kiev recently!
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes
bdckr wrote: For those people concerned about the accuracy, here's a twitter thread from someone who claims to have been born and raised in the Soviet Union commenting on twitter:

My favourite tweet in the thread:
Slava is a great follow. I've been following him for a number of years, drawn to his hockey writing and perspective on Russian players/culture - always great during the Olympics and World Cup. He really turned it on through his posts on Chernobyl and gained a lot of followers. He's now doing mini blogs on Russian culture (drinking, food, holidays) - Slava Does America.

He also did a bit for season two of Stranger Things that was funny. He quickly pointed out that for a show that did everything to be accurate for North American nostalgia, it put no effort into being accurate at all on the Russian parts (wardrobe, language, etc.).
Last edited by knapper on Oct 15th, 2019 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
9870 posts
1915 upvotes
TO
newt_101 wrote: One of the very best miniseries ever made - up there with Band of Brothers.
If it has newt101 approved stamp, I'm watching it. :)
"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
TorontoEh wrote: If it has newt101 approved stamp, I'm watching it. :)
lol why thank you - it's a tough watch but it's as close to perfection in a dramatic based-on-real-events miniseries as you can get.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
Zhopa wrote: I lived in Cherobyl as a child. But we moved to Kyiv in 1979 (before the explosion). Nobody knew where Chernobyl was... How many guys know Kinkardine? :)

Yes, all kids went to May 1st demonstration and it was drizzling... Nobody knew. We had our parent's friends from Prypiat stay with us for a month (without ANY belongings) before government found place for them. Only at the end of May kids were sent to eastern part of Ukraine for summer... I guess I got my dose...

Years later I know how BAD it was and it scares me... The only bright part I see is: radiation can affect me differently, so may be I will live 1000 years :)

Peace!!!!
The series made me take an interest, so I read a couple of books on the topic, The best so far has been Ablaze by Piers Paul Read. It's a very in-depth look not only at the accident, but the subsequent years of coverup and damage control. What struck me the most was how much of the government effort went into protecting the Soviet image, even at the cost of thousands of lives.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11296 posts
6299 upvotes
Ontario
Tapout123 wrote: The series made me take an interest, so I read a couple of books on the topic, The best so far has been Ablaze by Piers Paul Read. It's a very in-depth look not only at the accident, but the subsequent years of coverup and damage control. What struck me the most was how much of the government effort went into protecting the Soviet image, even at the cost of thousands of lives.
This image theme was with a Soviet government even before Chernobyl and will be with Russian government after. Look at what happened in ww2. Stalin killed more people than Hitler. Most of the people Stalin killed were his own people, not the enemy. Prior to ww2, Soviet government directed Holodomor in Ukraine, which caused death by starvation of over 7 million people, Soviet people. As someone who comes from Soviet era I can confidently claim that Soviet government was worse even than a Nazi regime.
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1148 posts
390 upvotes
Kitchener
True!

And now they occupied part of my native country - Ukraine. And keep killing Ukrainian soldiers every day :(
Andro wrote: This image theme was with a Soviet government even before Chernobyl and will be with Russian government after. Look at what happened in ww2. Stalin killed more people than Hitler. Most of the people Stalin killed were his own people, not the enemy. Prior to ww2, Soviet government directed Holodomor in Ukraine, which caused death by starvation of over 7 million people, Soviet people. As someone who comes from Soviet era I can confidently claim that Soviet government was worse even than a Nazi regime.
Слава Україні!
Aug 9, 2008
579 posts
345 upvotes
Upvoted as this is a nice mini series. Saw it FOR FREE at livenet tv video on demand section. all 5 chapters uploaded and are blu ray quality