[Amazon Canada] Chicken and Sausage Gumbo chunky soup: $1.00 Amazon

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2018 2:13 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15660 posts
20120 upvotes
ONTARIO
I ordered 5 cans of these in January through S&S when they had $0.25c coupons as well. Paid $0.60 each.

I didn't mind them at all. Especially at $0.60 a can.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1490 posts
839 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Gone
Time to eat some healthy real foodFace With Tears Of Joy
Jun 8, 2010
336 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
I love gumbo too but real gumbo! Unfortunately don’t know of many places to get it hear in Toronto. Anybody have recommendations?
Apr 28, 2014
207 posts
82 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Corleone187 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 8:52 pm
I love gumbo! :D

I wound up watching that whole video; hilarious, thanks.

No Campbell's for me after they closed the Listowel plant the other year, and now Etobicoke. That soup is okay for that price, though (and, by extension, not good at $3.49 or whatever the normal price for a can is).
Deal Addict
May 21, 2014
1213 posts
1851 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Unavailable
Pro tip - If you can't stop thinking about it ....BUY IT !
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1382 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto
I'm probably in the minority but I found this inedible.

HOWEVER, it was NOTHING compared to the "Texas Beef" flavour chunky soup. The smell alone when I opened the can was enough to put me off eating anything for a few hours. Had to bag it and throw out immediately. I'm sure others will love it. I know these things go through lots of testing and study groups before they hit the shelves but man oh man, I found it to be absolutely disgusting.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
2883 posts
1941 upvotes
hoponpop wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 9:18 am
I know these things go through lots of testing and study groups before they hit the shelves...
Yes, and they're often quite acceptable initially. Then the bean counters move in and say "We could squeeze out 5 cents more profit per can if we cut the expensive ingredients in half, used floor-sweepings and filler to replace them, and threw in more salt so that people won't be able to taste anything. And another packaged food product turns to garbage. This year's Chunky Gumbo soup is nothing like last year's.
Apr 13, 2007
934 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
Is anyone else's date set to accept on March 6? Odd how I have to wait a month from my original order date of Feb 6
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3611 posts
785 upvotes
Vancouver
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 2:22 pm
Good price - or at least it would have been back when these Campbell's Chunky soups were actually good. I liked the sausage gumbo variety until they changed the formula last year to make it watery crap. Shame on Campbell's, yet another decent food product ruined in the ongoing process of trying to squeeze out the last cent of profit.
+1 to watery crap

Was my go to for days I wanted a hot spicy breakfast with some protein (8gm). It has gone downhill in quality. I've stopped buying after too many cans with gamey poor quality chicken. I've gagged a couple of times too many. Also too much sodium at 27%.

I would bulk it up with brown rice and any left over veggies I had in the fridge but noticed it really did not deserve to be called a "chunky" soup any longer. Now looking for a low salt substitute for this.

I've been buying a soup from Costco - Sprague Organic Lentil with vegetable - not spicy but a good flavour, a bit of protein (8gm), and lower sodium (13%) than most canned soups.

Penalty Box
Apr 20, 2011
1636 posts
165 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 10:05 am

Yes, and they're often quite acceptable initially. Then the bean counters move in and say "We could squeeze out 5 cents more profit per can if we cut the expensive ingredients in half, used floor-sweepings and filler to replace them, and threw in more salt so that people won't be able to taste anything. And another packaged food product turns to garbage. This year's Chunky Gumbo soup is nothing like last year's.
NewsyL wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:18 pm
+1 to watery crap

Was my go to for days I wanted a hot spicy breakfast with some protein (8gm). It has gone downhill in quality. I've stopped buying after too many cans with gamey poor quality chicken. I've gagged a couple of times too many. Also too much sodium at 27%.

I would bulk it up with brown rice and any left over veggies I had in the fridge but noticed it really did not deserve to be called a "chunky" soup any longer. Now looking for a low salt substitute for this.

I've been buying a soup from Costco - Sprague Organic Lentil with vegetable - not spicy but a good flavour, a bit of protein (8gm), and lower sodium (13%) than most canned soups.
And why do you think ANY OTHER food packer in the world does not do the same thing that Chunky hasn't done before?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatche ... -1.4489344

Human confidence in others packaging your food (I am talking about canned foods to defuse any blow back from the one's who are on RFD 24/7 trolling for spite in being right every time) is certainly beyond me. :facepalm: