Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Clif Bars - $0.66 each (when bought in bulk)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2018 6:34 am
Jan 24, 2017
25 posts
20 upvotes
ViolinMonkey wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:58 am
Note: may be even cheaper if you use Subscribe and Save. Haven't tested if the $20 off still works with that option.
Confirmed this works. Just did S&S with 4 orders of chocolate peanut butter builder's bars and it came to $50.20 after tax, 15% S&S, and $20 off 60.

I'm in Alberta so tax will vary, but that's really cheap.
Dec 10, 2014
462 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto, ON
shankeith wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:05 pm
Looks like a lot of people in here dont either workout or understand how sugar works.

These are great for energy after a long run or a hike. These are not meant as a nutritional snack. People who work out or are super active need carbs aftewards to get energy back after consumption.

The war on carbs is old news.
I understand it just fine. It seems you don't. Anything can be a nutritional snack. The carbs in these cliff bars are the same as the carbs in a Mr Big bar, aka added sugar and sucrose. There is no difference between eating a Kit kat after a hike or these cliff bars.
froesesp wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:23 pm
The mainstream is still brainwashed into thinking all carbs are bad, and fat is ok. These have varying amounts of fat, the real concern.
What the hell are you even talking about "mainstream". If anything, it's the opposite since the Canadian food guide preaches balanced diet etc. and every single company markets fat as bad. Oh I wonder why? Oh yeah, money.

Eating fat in the presence of carbs is objectively BAD. It's caloric and since carbs spike your insulin, those calories just become stored as fat because people eat so much in general so they are in caloric surplus. That's why there are so many fatasses these days.

Eating fat and protein WITHOUT carbs is good, aka a ketogenic diet. It's basically what humans have been doing for hundreds of thousands of years before we started growing wheat and rice. Google it, or try it for 5 days, you'll drop 5-10 lbs of water weight and some fat just by not being bloated.
Mar 7, 2011
302 posts
148 upvotes
so nice to hear from all the nutrition experts, should rename the thread to "Nutrition 101" :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2290 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
shankeith wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:05 pm
Looks like a lot of people in here dont either workout or understand how sugar works.

These are great for energy after a long run or a hike. These are not meant as a nutritional snack. People who work out or are super active need carbs aftewards to get energy back after consumption.

The war on carbs is old news.
It's not about war on carbs, its war on sugar. There's 44g of carbs in this and 21g of it is processed sugar. Thats equivalent to about 7 packets of processed sugar you put in your coffee.

if you compare cliff bars to Oh Henry, it's almost as much sugar..... 26g for a 51g chocolate bar vs 21g for a 68g cliff bar.

If you want more energy after a long run or a hike, eat a banana. You can get about 23g of carbs with 12g of natural sugar. which is far more nutritional as a snack.

Of course cliff bars are convenient when you need something on the go, but i wouldn't eat this on a daily....
FS: Old school Nintendo Consoles
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=675445
FS:Sharp GF-777Z Classic Boombox Retro Ghetto Blaster 80s - the Holy Grail!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=631904
ACTION 52 Nintendo NES Multi Game (COLLECTORS ITEM)
action-52-nintendo-nes-multi-game-colle ... st13164059
Nov 11, 2009
383 posts
96 upvotes
Edmonton
This thread has been really eye-opening; I eat these on the reg because of the protein content, but I'll be avoiding them from now on!

Maybe I'll just eat nuts instead, to avoid all these sugars!
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2290 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
SRG01 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:31 pm
This thread has been really eye-opening; I eat these on the reg because of the protein content, but I'll be avoiding them from now on!

I was the same, my favorite was vector cereal cause i thought it had "protein".....but the amount of sugar in that.

Nuts are more for healthy fats, If you need protein as part of your diet, eat beans/meats/greek yogurt or even protein shake if you work out.
FS: Old school Nintendo Consoles
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=675445
FS:Sharp GF-777Z Classic Boombox Retro Ghetto Blaster 80s - the Holy Grail!
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... p?t=631904
ACTION 52 Nintendo NES Multi Game (COLLECTORS ITEM)
action-52-nintendo-nes-multi-game-colle ... st13164059
Nov 6, 2016
125 posts
34 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:03 pm
In this day and age, the ought to make a low-carb version. These are loaded with sugar and carbs are good for nothing else but an occasional snack when there's nothing else.
I agree with this. I would gladly take a healthier and less-sweet version of these. I mostly avoid these because they are rather unhealthy, even though they taste alright.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4031 posts
502 upvotes
McGarnagle wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 1:48 pm
Eating fat and protein WITHOUT carbs is good, aka a ketogenic diet. It's basically what humans have been doing for hundreds of thousands of years before we started growing wheat and rice. Google it, or try it for 5 days, you'll drop 5-10 lbs of water weight and some fat just by not being bloated.
I disagree with both of your posts. A coin always has two sides and it really seems like your looking at only the face side up.

Carbs with fat is not bad. If your trying to loose weight while eating a builder bar then I agree should not be eating them.

There is a balance to everything in life. The cliff bars work great as a portable food source you don’t need to worry about when hiking or doing activities. I prefer a bar with more protein but they tend to take longer for my body to digest and thus can slow me down at times.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Apr 20, 2015
22 posts
3 upvotes
Aurora, ON
SRG01 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:31 pm

Greek yogurt with protein powder (preferably flavored). Great for on the go and full of protein
Jun 3, 2006
921 posts
113 upvotes
Mississauga
Came for the deal, stayed for the discussion.

Bought these before the save $20 on $60 but reality was that I wasn't going to buy 5 boxes anyway so...

On a separate note, I recently tried granola with greek yogurt and it was surprisingly tasty and refreshing. When the Chex box is done (guilty pleasure, I know) I'll be looking for something with greek yogurt for breakfast/snacks.
BerryPride :D
Jul 25, 2017
199 posts
53 upvotes
if it is packed with this much sugar, rather it be cheaper to just get a pack or few of nature valley bars?
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
2574 posts
40 upvotes
Winnipeg
BerryPride wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 3:11 pm
Came for the deal, stayed for the discussion.
Indeed lol. Doesn't matter what thread you go into on RFD, there are always plenty of experts to set you straight.

Thanks OP. Ordered some. I like eating this sugar snack at work in the morning when I don't have time for Frosted Flakes at home :).
Scotty is a cheap mofo and loves to get a deal!

HEATWARE
Mar 13, 2017
253 posts
188 upvotes
Superstore (ON) has these on sale this week. $10 for a box of 12.

As others have said, these are great during intense activity like cycling/running.
I find they're a little easier on the stomach during activity and relatively easy to digest.

I always have one in my jersey - they help keep 'bonking' away!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
5986 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
Jimmydeals wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 6:36 pm
Superstore (ON) has these on sale this week. $10 for a box of 12.

As others have said, these are great during intense activity like cycling/running.
I find they're a little easier on the stomach during activity and relatively easy to digest.

I always have one in my jersey - they help keep 'bonking' away!
At Loblaws too, or just Superstore?.
Dec 16, 2012
58 posts
30 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hahaha great thread.
Good deals, always nice to get these cheap.
I agree with most of the posts re: the sugar content. What turned me away from these (after eating them often) was just the long list of ingredients. I go for Lara Bars now... and lots of them haha. Keep it simple: dates, peatuts, and some salt for the peanut butter one. Yes please!
That said, I’m very active and a cliff bar will make a big difference if it’s what you’ve got and you know you need something to keep the legs moving and the sweat pouring.
I almost went for the deal but I must resist. Thanks anyways!