Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - BluRay - $14.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 6:33 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37133 upvotes
@lincoln has made some great suggestions for viewer content to engage teens and young adults.

A very small percentage of adults become astronomers and astrophysicists, but that doesn't mean the scientific knowledge is relegated to those groups. Growing up, I was absorbed by this domain, and loved learning more.

As for Tyson, after reading into the allegations, it appears most of it circles around his overly familiar approach with women (i.e. no clear evidence of inappropriate contact, except for one highly dubious case). Five years ago those 'allegations' would've been waved off as slightly creepy old-man style flirtation, now it's a sensation. The trustworthiness of the no-name claimants is also in question (with some of it seeming opportunistic racial stereotyping). I'll leave this discussion for 'Off-Topic'.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
lincoln wrote: Region Free, maybe you missed that.
It's not listed as 'Region Free' but as 'All Regions'.
Depending how it was formatted will determine if you Blu-Ray player is capable of playing it.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
ihorzu wrote: read reviews before you buy it.
I tried to watch it when it was on Netflix. Finished 2 or 3 episodes.
First of all it is not about Cosmos. Author presents it as absolute truth and cutting edge science without providing enough evidence to his words so it looks more like science fiction or propaganda to me.

Personally I did not like it and I would stay away.
Well that was a waste of 18 bucks for me.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1391 posts
881 upvotes
ihorzu wrote:
read reviews before you buy it.
I tried to watch it when it was on Netflix. Finished 2 or 3 episodes.
First of all it is not about Cosmos. Author presents it as absolute truth and cutting edge science without providing enough evidence to his words so it looks more like science fiction or propaganda to me.

Personally I did not like it and I would stay away.
Well that was a waste of 18 bucks for me.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
insomnia77 wrote: Well that was a waste of 18 bucks for me.
insomnia77 wrote: Well that was a waste of 18 bucks for me.
So $36 altogether then? Lol. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
lincoln wrote: Decent series for younger people.

I find Brian's documentaries far more interesting though. It's only $20 for both seasons:

https://www.amazon.ca/The-Wonders-Colle ... collection

lincoln wrote:

Region Free, maybe you missed that.

As for my "Penalty Box" status, it means nothing. It's been that way for 8 years and I actually prefer to have that status because it makes me stand out ;)

Welcome
pootza wrote: It's not listed as 'Region Free' but as 'All Regions'.
Depending how it was formatted will determine if you Blu-Ray player is capable of playing it.
The compatibility issues are with the Wonders Collection quoted above. Likely it's a UK import (note Format PAL) and while it's showing All Regions it's probably formatted at 50hz which is not compatible with some North American blu ray players. This is the case with many BBC blu rays from the UK. I recall the issue well from when I used to order from Amazon UK.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2011
5851 posts
5492 upvotes
Calgary
I don't really like NGT as a public figure scientist... but this whole metwo movement is so friggin ridiculous.
teksavvy sucks
Jul 29, 2016
209 posts
181 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: I haven't seen the series yet. Do you have any specific examples of things they got wrong, or of contested things that were presented as true?
Thanks.
I don't remember exactly moments and examples, sorry. It is not on Netflix anymore to refresh my memory.

I like How the Universe Works.
I watched this series with my kids and it is actually about Space. Older kids like it too. A lot of content and CGI. I watched first season only though.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
ihorzu wrote: I don't remember exactly moments and examples, sorry. It is not on Netflix anymore to refresh my memory.

I like How the Universe Works.
I watched this series with my kids and it is actually about Space. Older kids like it too. A lot of content and CGI. I watched first season only though.
Yeah that was a good series, some of the information is a little outdated now though. Weren't there 7 or 8 seasons?
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
pootza wrote: It's not listed as 'Region Free' but as 'All Regions'.
Just wanted to double check if Amazon was correct and looks like they got the one right:

Wonders of the Solar System (Region Free)
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wonders- ... ray/11705/

Wonders of the Universe (Region A - North/South America)
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wonders- ... ray/23357/
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2009
6197 posts
4451 upvotes
lincoln wrote: Just wanted to double check if Amazon was correct and looks like they got the one right:

Wonders of the Solar System (Region Free)
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wonders- ... ray/11705/

Wonders of the Universe (Region A - North/South America)
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wonders- ... ray/23357/
Why don't you talk about the one you originally posted which the discussion was about being Region Free instead of your updated edited single versions. Some people just can't admit when they're wrong.

Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
pootza wrote: Why don't you talk about the one you originally posted which the discussion was about being Region Free instead of your updated edited single versions. Some people just can't admit when they're wrong.

My two posts were made at the same time. Once I realized the collection was "PAL" I removed the links to make sure people didn't buy it.

My 2nd post is 100% valid because it's $20 for both series and I only removed the first part of the sentence.

Thanks for your concern though.
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2008
1736 posts
405 upvotes
I thought cosmos was a fantastic series. As a 30 some odd year old individual. I highly enjoyed it and didn’t need to be a “kid”. Not sure where all the hate is coming from.

Disclosure I’m no hard core science nerd despite my science and business based university education. But always been fascinated with space and really enjoyed Neil’s presentation of this series. From the micro to macro view of the universe.

Thanks op!

Edit: crap deal is dead. At $45 now.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2010
2301 posts
1422 upvotes
Montreal
chandans wrote: I thought cosmos was a fantastic series. As a 30 some odd year old individual. I highly enjoyed it and didn’t need to be a “kid”. Not sure where all the hate is coming from.

Disclosure I’m no hard core science nerd despite my science and business based university education. But always been fascinated with space and really enjoyed Neil’s presentation of this series. From the micro to macro view of the universe.

Thanks op!

Edit: crap deal is dead. At $45 now.
Agreed. I remember seeing comments about how the show isn't for adults. Not true. Sure it's targeting a wide audience and not necessarily those who already deeply interested in space/sciences. In my experience, the vast majority of adults have no idea what's going on up there. Space is one of the most taken for granted thing ever.

I also saw someone mention poor reviews. It's been pretty well reviewed from what I can tell ... Outside of religious folks that weren't happy about all the facts and science not jiving with their "teachings".
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
mtl-D wrote: Agreed. I remember seeing comments about how the show isn't for adults. Not true. Sure it's targeting a wide audience and not necessarily those who already deeply interested in space/sciences. In my experience, the vast majority of adults have no idea what's going on up there. Space is one of the most taken for granted thing ever.

I also saw someone mention poor reviews. It's been pretty well reviewed from what I can tell ... Outside of religious folks that weren't happy about all the facts and science not jiving with their "teachings".
The When We Left Earth series is absolutely incredible btw. I bought it 10 years ago from Amazon UK, zero regrets.

The American version has horrible commentary compared to this version. I think the American is called "Nasa's Greatest Missions" or something... not good.

Anyways, if you want to watch the UK for free I've included the YouTube link

Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7949 posts
2868 upvotes
Washington, DC
Apparently you can't buy it anymore which is crazy. No idea why.

Price is $355 apparently!
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
lincoln wrote: Apparently you can't buy it anymore which is crazy. No idea why.

Price is $355 apparently!
I just added it to my cart for $40.48 (Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)