[Amazon Canada] CowboyStudio Photography Light Stands with Cases

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 3:14 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
111 posts
81 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] CowboyStudio Photography Light Stands with Cases

Had this on CCC for quite a while. Lowest price by far. 8 left now. These are 7 foot stands (package deal is for two). Also look at Cowboy Studio Aluminum Adjustable Light Stand with Case . They have also dropped to lowest by far @ $8.00 (same stand, but only one)

[EDIT] Deal now dead on 2 x package. Still live for single @ $8 (and it's an add-on item)
[EDIT] Deal dead on everything. Mods, pls move to expired
Last edited by chabro on Jan 12th, 2019 4:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15916 posts
3020 upvotes
Toronto
Wowwwwwwww

I bought something similar to hold a backdrop for my wedding and it was in the $60-100 range. Looks identical, from a structure standpoint. Really liked the unit.
RedFlagDeals addict
May 3, 2011
123 posts
19 upvotes
Dumb question but how do you attach the light to the stand?
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
111 posts
81 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:57 am
Wowwwwwwww

I bought something similar to hold a backdrop for my wedding and it was in the $60-100 range. Looks identical, from a structure standpoint. Really liked the unit.
Yes, these are decent quality products (from reviews - I don't own any). I have bought some cheaper Neewer products before, but had my eye on these. This is a really surprising drop. but I'll take it ;-)
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
111 posts
81 upvotes
helloo wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:59 am
Dumb question but how do you attach the light to the stand?
If you look at the pics (third one), you'll see it has a screw attachment. Basically the same mechanism used to attach your DSLR etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
Ahhhh, is this thing any use if I just want to take pictures? Maybe I should cancel? What do I attach to this thing? Why wouldn't i just use a regular tripod?
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
111 posts
81 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:20 am
Ahhhh, is this thing any use if I just want to take pictures? Maybe I should cancel? What do I attach to this thing? Why wouldn't i just use a regular tripod?
So, I'll be using it to attach flashes and other studio lights (still to be purchased). Basically setting up a small studio area for product photography and some portraiture.

This is NOT a tripod for camera use. Stable tripods for lighting and accessories.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
chabro wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:26 am
So, I'll be using it to attach flashes and other studio lights (still to be purchased). Basically setting up a small studio area for product photography and some portraiture.

This is NOT a tripod for camera use. Stable tripods for lighting and accessories.
How many did you order in order to set something up like that? I did just one order of the two 7 footers for $12 but it looks like Amazon just raised the price back up to $43.99.

But why wouldn't you just buy two tripods to do the same thing to hold up your lights? They would be more versatile.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2012
111 posts
81 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:32 am
How many did you order in order to set something up like that? I did just one order of the two 7 footers for $12 but it looks like Amazon just raised the price back up to $43.99.

But why wouldn't you just buy two tripods to do the same thing to hold up your lights? They would be more versatile.
I think cost would be the main thing. You'll pay a lot more for a decent camera tripod than for a light stand made with comparable quality. Also, light stands will reach higher.
Last edited by chabro on Jan 12th, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3949 posts
2130 upvotes
Edmonton
JoeStale wrote:
A light stand typically extends much higher and has a smaller footprint than tripods.
Mar 5, 2011
84 posts
40 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
A light stand footprint is much smaller than a tripod. And as a general rule, a cheap tripod (sub 10 dollars in this case) would be not worthwhile to use for any camera as I'd imagine it'd be super flimsy.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1873 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
So do I need to buy a couple of those photography umbrellas to use with these stands? How would you attach a flash to it? I don't recall flashes having thread mounts? Is two enough or do I need more?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2000 posts
1067 upvotes
Toronto
I've had a pair of these I bought second hand for over 5 years now and has held large 5 bulb softboxes on them ever since. They're flimsy but I can have them extended vertically without an issue as long as you orient the pointing towards a supporting leg. Really lightweight but does the trick perfectly. I would suggest getting sandbags to be on the safe side though.

EDIT - Highly recommend at this price. Like previous post this, this is meant for lights, not a tripod replacement. Although if you're into DIYing stuff, it could be done, although not recommended to risk a $X00 camera on this.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
3949 posts
2130 upvotes
Edmonton
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 1:39 am
How would you attach a flash to it? I don't recall flashes having thread mounts?
You can mount monolights and strobes directly onto the light stand.

If you want to attach a speedlight/on-camera flash to the stand, many models come with a shoe stand with a threaded socket at the bottom that you can then mount directly onto a light stand. If your speedlight doesn't come with a shoe stand, you can easily buy an adapter for such purpose.