• Aug 25th, 2019 11:34 am
[OP]
Jul 18, 2019
45 posts
20 upvotes
Oshawa (East GTA)

[Amazon.ca] CPU Tower Cooler CoolerMaster 212 LED Red Fan for $29.99

https://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-Con ... 232&sr=1-2

I am looking for a cooler to build a AMD Ryzen system with AM4 mount. This looks like a good all around cooler.

According to my research, this LED version is an improvement over the 212 EVO with better mounting mechanism and aluminium fin block I think. But people say they still perform about the same.

It is also cheaper than 212 EVO which normally goes on sale for $34.99. Currently the 212 EVO is at $39,99 on Amazon.ca.
67 replies
Jul 14, 2019
220 posts
366 upvotes
Most Ryzen CPUs come with very good coolers - just something to be aware of before you go aftermarket, depending on your personal needs (overclocking, etc.)

That particular cooler is quite loud, but is OK for a light overclock depending on the CPU.

I have seen that unit for $19.99 but $29.99 is still cheap for a decent cooler.
Aug 28, 2017
59 posts
122 upvotes
I have one of these and no complaints. It barely fits in my case, I think I have 1mm of clearance.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2136 posts
589 upvotes
This is a fine cooler and a fine deal, and it's way better than any stock cooler, so don't get that part ****. But the noctuas cost 3x-4x more for a good reason. They don't perform 3x better, but they do perform better in every way, and some people care about that. So it's up to the buyer to prioritize what they want: money in their pocket, lower temperatures, higher clocks, lower noise levels, etc. The noctuas come with better fans, better thermal paste, have better designs, and are manufactured better.

One big difference between the expensive and cheap heatsinks is that the cheap ones smush all the heatpipes together and use that as the base of the heatsink. That would work ideally if CPU chips themselves were the size of the base of the heatsink, but they aren't, they're only about the size of one heatpipe. This means that some of the energy going to that one heatpipe wants to move sideways to the other heatpipes, and each jump between pieces of metal hinders the flow of that energy such that the furthest heatpipes have a big temperature difference. In comparison, the expensive brands fasten the heatpipes under one piece of metal which means the heat energy has fewer interface jumps to go from the chip to the furthest heatpipes. So heat with a noctua will go into the noctua's base, and then into all of the heatpipes more evenly. With direct contact of the heatpipes, the nearest heatpipes gather energy more efficiently, but then the farthest get energy less efficiently, and moving the heat energy from the fins into the fan's air works better when it's more evenly spread out. Anyway, just saying, there are reasons why the more expensive shit is more expensive. Same goes for the high end video cards which cost $100 more mainly because of the better heatsink and fans.
Feb 10, 2014
820 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Just invest in a Noctua. It's not going to break like an AIO eventually will sooner or later. They are amazing at what they do. If you dont like how they look, go the Chromax route.

Main reason though, they tend to be a one time investment because you can move the cooler from build to build. If you bought that D14 five years ago, you could have moved it to your new build today with either a 10.00 mounting kit from say Amazon or Newegg, or just request one for free from Noctua and they will send you one, though it takes a bit to get. You can avoid the whole, "will this cooler be enough for my new CPU build?" and save yourself a lot of time scouring the net and You tube for reviews.

These coolers pay themselves off in spades if you can fit them in your case and all that stuff people whinge about.

Noctua socket support
Jun 29, 2016
709 posts
293 upvotes
+1 on that.
When I did my budget build the 212 evo was $15 more expensive then the T2, so I took the T2 (both were on sale).
What I really wanted was the Noctua NH-L9i and now kind of regret it I did not get it. T2 is ok but not very future proof and the evo is way too big :).
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1231 posts
1017 upvotes
I had to rip open the fan grill on my case so that the cooler master evo would fit. I’ll really regret doing that and should have just bought a shorter cooling method
Wallet safe :rolleyes:
Feb 5, 2008
946 posts
271 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Great CPU cooler. Great price. Nice find OP
Aug 17, 2012
250 posts
226 upvotes
Victoria
CanadaCPU wrote: Most Ryzen CPUs come with very good coolers - just something to be aware of before you go aftermarket, depending on your personal needs (overclocking, etc.)

That particular cooler is quite loud, but is OK for a light overclock depending on the CPU.

I have seen that unit for $19.99 but $29.99 is still cheap for a decent cooler.
What are you talking about? I've done several builds with this cooler and I've reached overclocks of 4.5 GHz stable on a 2500k and 4.8 GHz stable on a 6600k with temperatures under 75' while stress testing. The fans are not that loud at all, but you can easily replace them with other fans (I eventually switched to 2 ML120s for longevity). You just put the same brackets on new fans...
Feb 10, 2014
820 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
audioarchetype wrote: What are you talking about? I've done several builds with this cooler and I've reached overclocks of 4.5 GHz stable on a 2500k and 4.8 GHz stable on a 6600k with temperatures under 75' while stress testing. The fans are not that loud at all, but you can easily replace them with other fans (I eventually switched to 2 ML120s for longevity). You just put the same brackets on new fans...
I think he was talking about the stock AMD coolers (eg Wraith Prism) and that one can be quite loud.
Jul 14, 2019
220 posts
366 upvotes
audioarchetype wrote: What are you talking about? I've done several builds with this cooler and I've reached overclocks of 4.5 GHz stable on a 2500k and 4.8 GHz stable on a 6600k with temperatures under 75' while stress testing. The fans are not that loud at all, but you can easily replace them with other fans (I eventually switched to 2 ML120s for longevity). You just put the same brackets on new fans...
Easy there my friend - I was talking about the Wraith Spire. It's a surprisingly good cooler, but not the quietest - for most people it works just fine though and not everyone knows that most Ryzen CPUs come with one.

Compared to the gold standard Noctua NH-D15 air cooler the 212 is nothing special, but if you are doing a more standard overclock on a CPU that doesn't get too hot, it is perfectly fine. If you use a 212 on a really hot CPU like Intel's Skylake X series, you will soon find it's limits.

If you're going to pay for high end fans on a 212 you might be better served by a NH-D15 which outperforms it by a good margin in both thermals and noise. It comes in a single fan version as well. For ~$20 though the 212 is a great price.

Lots of other considerations as well, such as ambient temps, case setup, thermal compound, etc. that can help you get away with a lesser cooler. Very situation dependent.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1041 posts
596 upvotes
AB
No guys, it’s not a noctua, d14, d15, or u12a, but for the price it’s great for budget builds

Heck at $30 it’s cheaper than just one of the amazing noctua a12x25 fans.

I personally still prefer higher end, but one can’t complaint with the value of this cooler, not the quietest or the absolute best performance but you get what you pay for
May 21, 2015
144 posts
104 upvotes
Montreal, QC
no complaints here, this has been in my case for a year now

+1
Aug 17, 2012
250 posts
226 upvotes
Victoria
CanadaCPU wrote: Easy there my friend - I was talking about the Wraith Spire. It's a surprisingly good cooler, but not the quietest - for most people it works just fine though and not everyone knows that most Ryzen CPUs come with one.

Compared to the gold standard Noctua NH-D15 air cooler the 212 is nothing special, but if you are doing a more standard overclock on a CPU that doesn't get too hot, it is perfectly fine. If you use a 212 on a really hot CPU like Intel's Skylake X series, you will soon find it's limits.

If you're going to pay for high end fans on a 212 you might be better served by a NH-D15 which outperforms it by a good margin in both thermals and noise. It comes in a single fan version as well. For ~$20 though the 212 is a great price.

Lots of other considerations as well, such as ambient temps, case setup, thermal compound, etc. that can help you get away with a lesser cooler. Very situation dependent.
I've done two builds with the Noctua nh-d15, I've used pre-made water cooling products, and I've made custom water loops. I appreciate your attempt to impart knowledge on me but it's not necessary. Anything more than a Hyper 212 is completely unnecessary in 90% of builds, so I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing special". You can get an overclock well over 5 GHz on Intel i5 gen 2-8 with the 212 if you're willing to play with your voltage. My policy is to be very modest with the voltage to extend the CPU's life but the 212 can still provide perfectly acceptable temperatures in that scenario. I obviously don't use the stock TIM and, as mentioned, I have upgraded fans. Case temps are rarely an issue with modern case design unless you are working on something special like an ITX build.

In my experience, people love to overspec their systems and coolers are just another example of that, along with excessive amounts of ram and 1000w gold-rated power supplies.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2695 posts
1178 upvotes
West Coast
Seems like a solid price, good find OP. Used one for years on my old build before buying a rig that was water cooled.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers