Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB Kit 4GBx2 DDR3 1600 RAM - $64.99

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2015 1:19 am
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
2028 posts
545 upvotes
MTL
MikeMurphy wrote: I run an open bench and over the years have touched the RAM dimms to check for heat. Even without a heatspreader there is no heat. None. Even the DDR2 at 1.8v didn't get warm.
The only benefit of a heat spreader is you're less likely to fry your DIMM with static when installing. That's all.
I would have to disagree about your test methodology -- if you're getting no heat, it means you probably aren't putting it under load. If you run it through memtest86, it WILL heat up and run hot after a while.

However, in the "average" case, you probably don't need heat spreaders. Good to have (added insurance), likely will extend the life of the product of the bit, but probably only necessary in situations where you're constantly running loads which stress the RAM, OCing, or running a machine 24/7. If you're in the case where you needed them but didn't have them, you'll probably start getting more and more errors before hardware failure.
shol wrote: Any reason to get 1866 over 1600 at ths point
Considering they might be moving to DDR4 soon? Not really. If it's a good deal, go for it, otherwise not really a big diff.
Jan 21, 2009
656 posts
126 upvotes
Montreal
FML, I have a 50$ gift card but on .com Q.Q
Feb 3, 2015
150 posts
52 upvotes
Windsor, ON
beirutas wrote: Pretty much this. But It happens that sometimes it takes up to 10 days, at most.
Are they out of stock? Hopefully we don't have to wait too long.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2014
3812 posts
4200 upvotes
Mordor
Sweet, needed the sport model, can't go running with regular rams
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
ShadowMordor wrote: Sweet, needed the sport model, can't go running with regular rams
Heh! You gotta love their marketing. One of their other lines is the "Tactical" model. You know, for when you're using your computer in a covert operation to locate and assassinate Jihadi John.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
1477 posts
479 upvotes
sf1 wrote: For those with older systems, make sure you check voltage requirements as this RAM runs on newer/lower 1.5V and not 1.65V
http://www.airmilesshops.ca/shops/airmilesshops/Home
Correction : JEDEC DDR3 standards always have been 1.5V, 1.35v and 1.25v, always was. There is no newer or lower voltage ram from beyond 1.5v. Everything above 1.5V is not standard and is either a cheap method for RAM manufacturer to crank up the speed of stick that were not stable at 1.5V (like cheap 1.65v 1600MHz kits, avoid) but also to be able to achieve very high frequencies. Also, I know the IMC of SB/IV LGA1155 systems were very sensitive to RAM voltage and was not recommanded to use 1.65v+ RAM for longer term stability.

Bottom line, recommandation is to stick with 1.5V rated or less memory kits unless it's an overclock-friendly AND high frenquency RAM kit.
-
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2009
2028 posts
545 upvotes
MTL
BiGD33nS wrote: Correction : JEDEC DDR3 standards always have been 1.5V, 1.35v and 1.25v, always was. There is no newer or lower voltage ram from beyond 1.5v. Everything above 1.5V is not standard and is either a cheap method for RAM manufacturer to crank up the speed of stick that were not stable at 1.5V (like cheap 1.65v 1600MHz kits, avoid) but also to be able to achieve very high frequencies. Also, I know the IMC of SB/IV LGA1155 systems were very sensitive to RAM voltage and was not recommanded to use 1.65v+ RAM for longer term stability.
Bottom line, recommandation is to stick with 1.5V rated or less memory kits unless it's an overclock-friendly AND high frenquency RAM kit.
The whole 1.5V became a really big issue long before SB/IB. When the first gen Intel Core processor with IMC came out (Nehalem), people were toasting their IMC and not even knowing why. The reason? When DDR3 initially came out, many DIMMs required 1.8~1.9V to meet their rating. ;-)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2008/10/ ... alem-cpus/

These days, it's much easier to get something that respects 1.5V since virtually everything requires it.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19157 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I run my Kingston RAM at 1.63Vdimm or so. Granted my RAM is ancient but hey, it works. If it dies, I got a new excuse to build a new PC lol
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
2225 posts
765 upvotes
Halton
Price changed to $95.98 now :(
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2006
1664 posts
328 upvotes
anyone know the date this will be shipped? still havent gotten tracking info yet
Jul 27, 2014
978 posts
944 upvotes
Montreal, QC
They gave me an ETA with the order but no tracking yet as it has not shipped.

"Your estimated delivery date is:
Thursday, March 26, 2015 -
Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Your shipping speed:
FREE Super Saver Shipping"
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
1506 posts
135 upvotes
Eh I might just cancel it, 20$ in savings isnt worth waiting 20 days for it =/
Feb 3, 2015
150 posts
52 upvotes
Windsor, ON
I've survived 5 years with 4 GB. I can survive a few more weeks prersonally.
Jul 27, 2014
978 posts
944 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Hey all,

Just checked my order status on Amazon.ca and the delivery date seems to have bumped up to March 13! So they should arrive by next weekend.

Check your order status :)
Deal Guru
Oct 16, 2008
11337 posts
5531 upvotes
Vaughan
Got mine last week, ordered on weekend and got it Mar 03rd.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 9, 2009
6245 posts
1779 upvotes
just used these ram on a new build for my bro. Im getting quite a few BSODs. Thinking it might be the ram. anyone else having issues with the ram?

Im running memtest86 right now and the test is taking extremely long for some reason. at 50 minutes and still not done the first pass, with 1 error so far...

CPU: 4790K
MOBO: MSI Z97 PC MATE, running latest BIOS
RAM: this one
SSD: Samsung Evo 120gb.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)