Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Crucial BX500 120 GB Solid State Drive $38 + Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2018 12:03 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
althetrainer wrote: I have a sorta off topic question. My husband has an old Acer laptop (probably 7 years old) that still runs windows 7. He used it for less than a year but somehow lost his password so the laptop has been sitting in the basement since. I wonder if I can recover or bypass the password then put a ssd into that dinosaur... My Dell laptop died a week ago, I need a replacement but I want to take time to find something I really like. Until then, do you guys think it's practical to go through all the troubles to upgrade the old Acer to buy myself time?

I agree with "rabbit" and "charlesd79".
Don't underestimate that old Acer: once you put in a SSD inside, you will be surprised of what it can still do for you.
There's even a possibility that you might decide to use it to replace your Dell.
If it's the Windows password that is lost, there are "ways" of recovering it: Google "cracking windows password".
But it's not a beginner's level task. If there is nothing precious on the Acer it's not worth the time.
If I were you, I would buy the BX500 120 GB, put it in the Acer and install a fresh copy of Windows 7.
Windows 7 will probably even activate automatically since updating a hard drive is considered a minor change.
What's the model number of your Acer?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
Temporel wrote: The first professional reviews of the BX500 series are getting published, like this one from Guru3d.com and the results are not disappointing.

... the review mentions that the Crucial BX500 480GB.. can write a 38 GB file with a Sustained writing speed of 460 MBps until its SLC cache gets full. It then drops to 85 Mbps… after having written 32 GB of data continuously sustained! I could live with a 32 GB SLC cache. And as the reviewer says: “how often do you move over 32 GB?”
“So whether you write lots of small files, copy MKV movies or do it all together, the SSD remains a solid performer on all fronts.”[/i]
Thanks for the guruo review link.
Question: to avoid the performance drop from 460MBps to 85MBps, I should move/copy 31.9GB at a time?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
3741 posts
3512 upvotes
Did they make a 1TB option in the BX series for a great price?
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
Samwfive wrote: Thanks for the guruo review link.
Question: to avoid the performance drop from 460MBps to 85MBps, I should move/copy 31.9GB at a time?

Theoretically, yes. To illustrate the simplest test they did in the review mentioned above, with the 480 GB version, if you move:

8 GB folder full of .mp3 ---> full speed all the way to the end;
19 GB folder of videos from your kid's birthday party ---> full speed all the way to the end;
28 GB .mkv file of your favorite movie ---> full speed all the way to the end;
38 GB file or folder ---> full speed for the first 32GB (about 85% of the job) then "Hard Disk Drive" speed for the remainder.

For bigger files/folders you would probably lose more time splitting the work in 32 GB chunks than just letting the SSD take care of it.

When was the last time you moved over 40 GB of data all at once?

That being said, if you are considering spending $100 on the Crucial BX500 480GB MikesComputerShop.com you should also consider the better Crucial MX500 500 GB $115 Amazon.ca or even the Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB $120 Staples in store $120 Newegg.ca
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2007
3433 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
Temporel wrote: ...
For bigger files/folders you would probably lose more time splitting the work in 32 GB chunks than just letting the SSD take care of it.

When was the last time you moved over 40 GB of data all at once?
Now contemplating 1TB MX500 (currently at $195) on Black Friday. Got lots of movies scattered all over...
Nov 19, 2017
194 posts
205 upvotes
What is the backup protection against power loss with such a large slow buffer though?

Most DRAM based buffers are much smaller and are cleared faster.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
RickJamesWasRight wrote: What is the backup protection against power loss with such a large slow buffer though? Most DRAM based buffers are much smaller and are cleared faster.

Most likely NONE for the BX500. But the MX500 has Integrated Power Loss Immunity.

If it's for a laptop, when was the last time you unplugged it then yanked out the battery while copying critical, irreplaceable files?

Just a rhetorical question. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
charlesd79 wrote: Oh yeah, that old Acer with a SSD in it should be enough to read your email and browse RFD looking for a deal on a new laptop. And if you need to use Facebook or any other complex website, try the mobile or basic versions, like https://m.facebook.com/ or https://mbasic.facebook.com/
Awesome. I definitely will give it a try.
rabbit wrote: It depends on what kind of password. If it's Windows, just put the SSD in and reinstall Windows fresh. Nothing to bypass or worry about.
I was hoping that's the case. Thank you!
Temporel wrote:

I agree with "rabbit" and "charlesd79".
Don't underestimate that old Acer: once you put in a SSD inside, you will be surprised of what it can still do for you.
There's even a possibility that you might decide to use it to replace your Dell.
If it's the Windows password that is lost, there are "ways" of recovering it: Google "cracking windows password".
But it's not a beginner's level task. If there is nothing precious on the Acer it's not worth the time.
If I were you, I would buy the BX500 120 GB, put it in the Acer and install a fresh copy of Windows 7.
Windows 7 will probably even activate automatically since updating a hard drive is considered a minor change.
What's the model number of your Acer?
If the old Acer can replace my Dell that's even better. I used my computer for email, FB, Youtube, Google, and of course RFD. Though I do occasionally edit some family videos so I might need a better CPU but I will cross the bridge when I get there. The laptop is Acer Aspire 5742-7342, MFG Date 1009, a bit older than I thought. I thought I read somewhere you mentioned the BX300 was better than the BX500? If I can use this instead of buying another laptop I don't mind putting more money into it i.e. bigger SSD or even more RAM if it's possible.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
The Crucial BX300 120 GB $44 Third party seller on Amazon.ca is definitely better than the BX500 120 GB for $6 more plus taxes.

I can't figure out exactly the specs of your laptop but fro this site it says you should have at least an Intel i3 CPU with 4 GB of RAM. Don't throw it out in the garbage yet!

I suggest starting with the SSD at first, see how things goes, then decide if it's worth adding RAM.

The SSD will be compatible with your next laptop anyway, not necessarily the RAM.
Last edited by Temporel on Sep 26th, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 18, 2009
18 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Wait is this really considered a hot deal? I just walked into Mike's Computer Shop on Saturday and bought a Kingston 256gig SSD for 48 bucks. They had 128 gigs for under 30 dollars. They said this wasn't a sale price in the store, just the current market price.

https://www.mikescomputershop.com/catalog/22
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
masterfly wrote: Wait is this really considered a hot deal? I just walked into Mike's Computer Shop on Saturday and bought a Kingston 256gig SSD for 48 bucks. They had 128 gigs for under 30 dollars. They said this wasn't a sale price in the store, just the current market price. https://www.mikescomputershop.com/catalog/22
The Kingston A400 series are slow SSDs especially the 120 GB version which has dismal performances.

As you link shows, the 240 GB version is on sale until Sept. 30th just like the 120 GB version but without Free Shipping.

For me, I'd rather pay $14 more for the Crucial BX500 240 GB $63 Amazon.ca and get the extra speed and reliability of a brand name like Crucial than to buy a 240 GB Kingston A400 at $49.

Even more so in the 120 GB class, with a $8 difference between the Crucial BX500 120 GB $38 Amazon.ca and the 120 GB Kingston A400 at $30 at Mike's Computer Shop. And if you are not close to a Mike's Computer Shop and have to pay for shipping, it's the same price...

But if speed and brand name reputation is not important to you, go for the cheaper Kingstons.

Click on image to enlarge:

A400.png
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Temporel wrote: The Crucial BX300 120 GB $44 Third party seller on Amazon.ca is definitely better than the BX500 120 GB for $6 more plus taxes.

I can't figure out exactly the specs of your laptop but fro this site it says you should have at least an Intel i3 CPU with 4 GB of RAM. Don't throw it out in the garbage yet!

I suggest starting with the SSD at first, see how things goes, then decide if it's worth adding RAM.

The SSD will be compatible with your next laptop anyway, not necessarily the RAM.
I think this may be the one: http://e-pawn.ca/products.php?product=A ... GB%252dRAM

I also found the model number for my husband's laptop, it's PEW71. Someone is selling this model on eBay without the HDD but the listing mentioned the unit has 4 gb memory Wi-Fi and Geforge gt 540m graphic card. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACER-ASPIRE-57 ... Swa~BYT6BM

My Acer also has a Microsoft sticker on the bottom so I assume I can use that key to recover OS if it doesn't do it automatically?

Since the SSD is compatible with my next laptop shouldn't I buy a better one i.e. the BX300, maybe 240 GB? I know it's more $$ but if it's a good long term investment I don't mind pitching in a bit more.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
althetrainer wrote: I think this may be the one: (...) I also found the model number for my husband's laptop, it's PEW71. Someone is selling this model on eBay without the HDD but the listing mentioned the unit has 4 gb memory Wi-Fi and Geforge gt 540m graphic card. (...) My Acer also has a Microsoft sticker on the bottom so I assume I can use that key to recover OS if it doesn't do it automatically? Since the SSD is compatible with my next laptop shouldn't I buy a better one i.e. the BX300, maybe 240 GB? I know it's more $$ but if it's a good long term investment I don't mind pitching in a bit more.

Those laptops Acer,Dell, Lenovo, etc. are highly customizable and can vary greatly from one unit to another. If you have an Intel i5 instead of an i3, it's even better. It could have a discrete (separate) graphics card or an integrated one. It could have more or less memory, etc.

For the moment, don't worry too much about Windows activation, you'll cross that bridge when you get there. Windows 7 might activate automatically, you might have to input a key or make a phone call to Microsoft. It might even be upgradeable to Windows 10, you'll see. In the meanwhile, even if it doesn't activate immediately, it won't prevent you from full usage, it will only nag you once in a while.

SSDs are not good long term investment because prices are going down constantly and they become obsolete as new generations come along. It's not a good idea to try to future proof computer equipment. You have to try to buy what you might need short term. At the moment, the BX300 is only a deal at $44 for 120 GB. Not so much at 240 GB $108 or 480 GB $189

If you think you need more than 120 GB, look into my guide (click on my signature) for suggestions.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
Temporel wrote: Those laptops Acer,Dell, Lenovo, etc. are highly customizable and can vary greatly from one unit to another. If you have an Intel i5 instead of an i3, it's even better. It could have a discrete (separate) graphics card or an integrated one. It could have more or less memory, etc.

For the moment, don't worry too much about Windows activation, you'll cross that bridge when you get there. Windows 7 might activate automatically, you might have to input a key or make a phone call to Microsoft. It might even be upgradeable to Windows 10, you'll see. In the meanwhile, even if it doesn't activate immediately, it won't prevent you from full usage, it will only nag you once in a while.

SSDs are not good long term investment because prices are going down constantly and they become obsolete as new generations come along. It's not a good idea to try to future proof computer equipment. You have to try to buy what you might need short term. At the moment, the BX300 is only a deal at $44 for 120 GB. Not so much at 240 GB $108 or 480 GB $189

If you think you need more than 120 GB, look into my guide (click on my signature) for suggestions.
Thanks! I guess I will find out when I finally get the computer up and running again. It makes sense about ssd investment so I will buy the 120 GB instead.
Mar 1, 2002
872 posts
295 upvotes
Is the Adata SU650 480GB 3D Nand SATA any good? Amazon Adata
Price seems pretty good @ $89.99 and 3D Nand is suppposed to be quicker.
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
pulsar wrote: Is the Adata SU650 480GB 3D Nand SATA any good? Amazon Adata
Price seems pretty good @ $89.99 and 3D Nand is suppposed to be quicker.

You would save 10% ($10) compared to the Crucial BX500 480GB $100 MikesComputerShop.com but lose performance, brand reliability and reputation, not worth it, don't buy. There's a thread about the SU650 120 GB and the SU650 in general.

Of course, the Adata SU650 480 GB is not as bad as the Adata SU650 120 GB but why would you want to save $10 on something that you are going to use daily for years?

They both use 3D TLC NANDs.

Read post #217
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15218 posts
4405 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
althetrainer wrote: Since the SSD is compatible with my next laptop shouldn't I buy a better one i.e. the BX300, maybe 240 GB? I know it's more $$ but if it's a good long term investment I don't mind pitching in a bit more.
If you can wait, I would hold off for a month or so to see if the BX300 240GB drops in price again. If you can't wait, I would probably get the BX500 240GB, if I were in your shoes.

Regarding Windows key, if there's no important files on the Acer, you should be able to do a recovery (ie. wipe C drive and restore to factory). If it's been sitting unused for that long, I would assume that no files on the computer is going to be missed.

Alternatively, you can take out the HDD, connect it to another computer, and pull personal files off it it first, then put it back in and do the recovery.

After recovery, you can clone C_drive/Windows to an SSD or do whatever you want (such as wait for the BX300 240GB to go on special).
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25735 upvotes
Montreal
rabbit wrote: (…) Regarding Windows key, if there's no important files on the Acer, you should be able to do a recovery (ie. wipe C drive and restore to factory). If it's been sitting unused for that long, I would assume that no files on the computer is going to be missed. Alternatively, you can take out the HDD, connect it to another computer, and pull personal files off it it first, then put it back in and do the recovery. After recovery, you can clone C_drive/Windows to an SSD or do whatever you want (such as wait for the BX300 240GB to go on special).

Brilliant! It’s so simple! (probably) I hadn’t thought about it since I never needed it or used it.

If the Recovery partition has not been erased and if the problem is just a forgotten Windows password, you can reset the laptop back to the way it was when you received it.

If the Recovery partition has been erased, maybe the Recovery CD/DVD that has (hopefully) been made previously could be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXzt3grQcUU

There’s probably even an option to save your files, programs and settings. Read the options carefully before proceeding.

But cloning the old Hard Drive on a new SSD would bring back the forgotten Windows password problem. A fresh installation of Windows is needed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7393 posts
2944 upvotes
Calgary
rabbit wrote: If you can wait, I would hold off for a month or so to see if the BX300 240GB drops in price again. If you can't wait, I would probably get the BX500 240GB, if I were in your shoes.

Regarding Windows key, if there's no important files on the Acer, you should be able to do a recovery (ie. wipe C drive and restore to factory). If it's been sitting unused for that long, I would assume that no files on the computer is going to be missed.

Alternatively, you can take out the HDD, connect it to another computer, and pull personal files off it it first, then put it back in and do the recovery.

After recovery, you can clone C_drive/Windows to an SSD or do whatever you want (such as wait for the BX300 240GB to go on special).
Thank you very much. I have already bought the BX300 120GB so that's that. But I won't rule out the possibility of purchasing a 240GB if the price comes down dramatically for we have another old Dell that I can play with.

You're probably correct. I don't think there's any important files on the Acer since my husband decided to just leave it in the basement. I will take the drive out and let him decide. I prefer doing a wipe making it into an external drive but it's up to him.
Temporel wrote:

Brilliant! It’s so simple! (probably) I hadn’t thought about it since I never needed it or used it.

If the Recovery partition has not been erased and if the problem is just a forgotten Windows password, you can reset the laptop back to the way it was when you received it.

If the Recovery partition has been erased, maybe the Recovery CD/DVD that has (hopefully) been made previously could be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXzt3grQcUU

There’s probably even an option to save your files, programs and settings. Read the options carefully before proceeding.

But cloning the old Hard Drive on a new SSD would bring back the forgotten Windows password problem. A fresh installation of Windows is needed.
I've never done that but this is the kind of challenge I like. I could very likely learn something new at the same time I have absolutely nothing to lose. Once again, it's up to him though. If he will let me use it as a learning tool I am all game.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)